PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Kipling never sold his cakes by virtue of their thin veneers of chocolate...

airship
10th Jan 2013, 14:57
Or by exceedingly thin veneers of Western civilisation. By veneer, (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/veneer) I mean this BBC report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20958353) concerning Greece: "There were members of the public who saw what happened, like the man who works in the shop opposite the police station, but they were too afraid to help me," he says.

Who was "he"? Who are "you"? Brave enough to take a holiday in Greece next summer?

Quite amazing (yet somehow unsurprising) how Greece with her 26.8% unemployment rate (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968845) has more or less destroyed a half-century's worth of European efforts everywhere else in accommodating or at least coming to terms with the rest of the World.

If the Greeks themselves, will not voluntarily and physically intervene in such situations (faced with fascism and/or corrupted law-enforcement), then Greece herself is already lost. And other EU and/or European "democracies" will fall in due course.

There's no better opportunity than today "as a fearfull immigrant", to buy and import your eastern-European AK-47s or whatever. At least that way, when French / German / Italian society finally breaks down, you can take a few of them (fascists) with you... :uhoh:

PS. However, I have some pleasant memories of helping out a few mummy cats in Paleo Faliron back in the mid '80s. Even crushed a finger moving big rocks around there so as to better protect the kittens. But that's another story for another time.

P6 Driver
10th Jan 2013, 15:21
Wibble, wibble!

Lonewolf_50
10th Jan 2013, 15:53
veneer:

a superficial or deceptively attractive appearance, display, or effect
e.g. "a veneer of tolerance"

From the story linked, it does not appear that the plain clothes officer presented a deceptively attractive appearance. :}

Octopussy2
10th Jan 2013, 16:04

"Whenever people ask me if they should visit Greece I tell them to go to Turkey instead."

UNQUOTE

Ha! the ultimate revenge... And the food's better too! (who was it that said "Turkish food is Greek food, but cooked properly"?)

(This brings back memories of business trips to Athens, desperately trying to remember to ask for "Greek" coffee at the end of the meal...)

On a more serious note:

A few years ago, I was out with a work colleague in Piraeus, otherwise a charming, sophisticated guy, who out of nowhere started on about the number of (legal) Albanian immigrants there were in Greece, how it was a disgrace etc etc - with real venom. It struck me then that, if his attitude was in any way representative of the general populace, if I were such an immigrant, the minute Greece hit hard times, I'd be back over the border. And now those hard times have hit...

CATIII-NDB
10th Jan 2013, 21:50
Sorry to be so bleak, but I think the UK is not too far behind in terms of a veneer of Civilisation.

The reality of what's happening in Greece is beginning to dawn on other Europeans - A Sociatial breakdown.

CAT III