PDA

View Full Version : Why do animals (JBers) love to play...?!

airship
10th Jan 2013, 14:15
This BBC report (http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130109-why-do-animals-like-to-play) may hold some clues? Please excuse my own modifications:

Recreation may look like it serves no obvious purpose, but when dogs and other animals (ie. JBers) are having fun they are learning some valuable lessons.

Say you're walking your dog in the park (ie. a JBer), when he comes face to snout with another dog. An intricate dance begins, as if each movement was precisely choreographed. The dogs visually inspect each other, sniff each other, walk circles around each other. And then the fight begins. But is it really a fight, or is it just play-fighting?

And the reason, hitherto unacknowledged here to date, is that perhaps we JBers come here for: The play bow, like other signals, serves as a means of broadcasting the message, "I want to play!" They serve another important function: they maintain on-going play. This is important, since several behaviours used during play are also used in other contexts, like aggressive, predatory, and sexual encounters. In fact, Bekoff found that the bow is used more often before and after actions that could be misinterpreted as non-playful infant and adult dogs used the play bow directly before and after mock bites 74% of the time, juvenile wolves 79% of the time, and young coyotes 92% of the time.

Where is the "bowing smilie" to be found on the RH side of our posting screen...?! And should it not be "automatic" unless the JBer really wishes to howl or scream...?!

Perhaps we should all try to be a lot less serious usually, (or more serious) just on some occasions...?!

PS. If you live in Canada and spend some of the winters fishing on the ice in the North American great lakes, then please consider how you might be able to help these whales (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20966867). The nearest Canadian ice-breaker must be a very long way away. Their rescue probably requires an immediate and important / coordinated effort by willing individuals, more or less locally-based, over several days or a few weeks. From those simply equipped with those "fishermen's ice-hole drillers" used to drill through the ice on the St. Lawrence used for their winter cabanes, companies that could transport these on-site, and through local volunteers more or less on-site, keeping these new breathing-holes open whilst guiding the whales back out to open seas...?! I can only hope and dream... :):{

airship
11th Jan 2013, 12:48
UPDATE (on the trapped killer whales): Killer whales escape as Canada's Hudson Bay ice shifts... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20975536) :ok:

Concerning the original thread: I get the impression that most JBers so far having read the thread (140+), don't necessarily appreciate being compared to animals or with any such allusions (or delusions) on my part. Fair enough. "...forever hold your peace..." as said in many Church-weddings therefore...

tony draper
11th Jan 2013, 15:09
Item on the news yesterday 'A huge Pod of Porpoises (over 500) has been spotted in the Irish sea',
We can expect the Japanese fishing fleet arriving any day then.
:uhoh:

G-CPTN
11th Jan 2013, 15:41
One could do a play on words concerning the FSL's news and the way nearby folk enunciate their name, but that might be interpreted as racial stigmatisation.