PDA

View Full Version : EK FO Fast Track Program

Mr.White
10th Jan 2013, 11:09
Hi there!

I have apply for DEC at EK, but seems that is going to slow, right know my paycheck its to short and dont have security for my family while im flying, on the other tax its to high.

I wanna know if there is any fast track FO program at EK for experience Capt on wide body.

Best regards,

EK380
10th Jan 2013, 13:06
No F/O fast track for the moment.

PS: Suggest you keep on working on your English before applying.

Mr Good Cat
11th Jan 2013, 06:27
I have apply for DEC at EK, but seems that is going to slow

It's not going slow... If you are suitable and they want you, they will offer you a position as a DEC and you will wait for a start date which will come soon enough.

If that doesn't work out join as a FO and your command experience and command qualities will be advantageous if the supply of suitable FO command candidates runs out. You may then find yourself being fast-tracked.

The hours requirements stated for DEC are simply a minimum eligibility and do not guarantee an interview.

Laker
11th Jan 2013, 08:52
I don't foresee them running out of "suitable FO command candidates" following 2013. There are a bunch of current fo's that could resign today and apply as a DEC tomorrow. The reason they ran out of upgradable fo's is due to the 2,500 hour on type requirement, which interestingly enough is not a DEC requirement. EK stopped hiring for a year or so which led to the time in type experience gap in the seniority list.

fliion
11th Jan 2013, 09:31
The DEC program was reintroduced for two reasons :

1) used as a stop-gap measure to fill in the void left by stopping hiring in 2008 for nine months due GFC and hence lack of 2500 hrs of post crisis FOs

&

2) to enhance the ranks of experienced trainers.

Unofficially the program has stopped at around the 60 mark (more classes coming this month)but will be used selectively for exceptional circumstances.

Re fast track FOs...no need plenty of excellent & experienced FOs who have waited their turn.

f.

Avid Aviator
12th Jan 2013, 06:08
DEC recruitment has stopped on the Boeing and slowed to a trickle on the A330 (TRIs only, I believe).

ramius315
12th Jan 2013, 06:37
There are a bunch of current fo's that could resign today and apply as a DEC tomorrow.

Yes, and I'm also willing to bet that almost none of them would get through the DEC selection. 3000hrs CMD with a LCC doesn't equate to being a suitable candidate.

s.o.d.
12th Jan 2013, 07:50
For the last half of 2012 over 40% of the pilot intake were DECs and for the last quarter ending December it ramped up to over 60%.

If this is to continue - and don't assume it won't - EK may never need to run another upgrade course ever again.

Realistic time for command for a joiner on the A380? Think about sometime between 12 years and never.

Longdukdong
12th Jan 2013, 08:43
40% since July? 60% in quatrer ending in December?

What is the quote- 'lies, damned lies and statistics'... Here's one: less than 20% of pilots hired last year were DECs. Next year the number will be less than 10% and probably less than 5%.

EK may never need to run another upgrade course? Complete hyperbole. So silly it doesn't even warrant comment.

30 odd 380s increasing to 90 (maybe 120 or 130) at about 1/ month. Twelve years to never might be pessimistic..........

vfenext
12th Jan 2013, 09:04
EK may never need to run another upgrade course
Upgrade interviews for FO's have resumed this month and new courses start in May. The DEC recruitment is looking more and more like a thing of the past.

theidler
12th Jan 2013, 09:54
30 odd 380s increasing to 90 (maybe 120 or 130) at about 1/ month.

So how many of these are additional and how many are replacement aircraft?

There are competent people in the right seat at EK who have been there for up to six years with several thousand hours of medium jet command time with no prospect of command in the foreseeable future because for one reason or another they have ended up on the wrong fleet at the wrong time compounded by ever-changing and more restrictive command requirements.

Luckily for every loser there will also be a winner although right now it is often a DEC.

ramius315
12th Jan 2013, 10:14
Varmint.

I'll clarify. I'm willing to bet that guys hired as FOs in the last 12 months who were Captains at LCCs and had the bare minimum CMD reqts for EK would not get a gig as a DEC. My understanding is the guys being employed have 12,000hrs andup. It's called experience, and when EK employ DECs they are looking for some real experience, not just 3000hrs in CMD flying a jet in only a small part of the world.

I'm not doubting that after gaining some experience with EK flying the globe that those guys/girls will upgrade, and there are FOs who are more than capable to do it now easily.

What I was saying is that when the DEC program is run it is to a different level. The bare minimum is just that, and I'm guessing that almost nobody gets in with a bare minimum 3000/6000.

That should mean that the FO is suitable for command of an EK aircraft full-time as well or he should not be in the cockpit period.

Naivete runs rampant............

Easy Ryder
12th Jan 2013, 13:53
TC said at time of the order none of the 90 A380s will be replacement aircraft. And if he's concerned about airspace requirements and parking stands, I guess it's safe to assume the additional 30 he wants aren't replacements either...

fatbus
12th Jan 2013, 15:17
Dont think the fleet will double by 2020, and only 300 or so pilots being hired 2013/14. Not many ore DEC's. @3500 pilots now, when will there be 7000 for the new guy to upgrade. 90 0r 120 380 are not replacements but the 330/340 and some 777 will be gone by 2017 and the 777ers start to be replaced. 12 years to upgrade might be bit long everyone is just guessing.remember that most of the upgrades this year will be those that were pasted over due to lack of hours which they have or will have.

flyby2013
13th Jan 2013, 05:47
This thread seems well informed!
Any info on what's going on for those that have been successful DEC applicants and been placed in the pool?
Any job offering coming up? As DEC or FO?

MagicCarpet
13th Jan 2013, 06:31
Could I ask someone joining Emirates now on the A380 as F/O the realistic time to command?

Some numbers as of today, January 2013, for guys wondering about 380 command. . .

Most junior (non-DEC) Boeing 777 captain: 3 yrs, 5 mo
Most junior (non-DEC) Airbus 330 captain: 4 yrs, 4 mo
Most junior Airbus 380 captain: 6 yrs, 2 mo

Bear in mind that all 273 of the Airbus 330/340 captains are senior to pretty much any FO hoping to upgrade on the 380. So when the 330s & 340s go away, all 273 of those guys are going to be pouring over into the left seat of the 380 ahead of you.

And there are already Boeing 777 captains going over to the left seat of the A380 ahead of you.

Not to mention, most of the 330/340 FOs are probably senior to you, so add another couple years to the wait time for them.

Settle in for the slow burn you future A380 captains. You may be throwing gear for quite a long time.

Easy Ryder
13th Jan 2013, 12:29
Just to add into the equation Magic Carpet laid out, 70 (+50 options) A350's still expected to arrive, officially.

So, IF they come, I'd anticipate most 330/340 guys get transferred to those as that's 30ish aircraft (not including options) more than the current 330/340 fleet.