PDA

View Full Version : FAID Fatigue System

andrewcarpenter
17th Apr 2002, 06:00
Australian CASA are in the process of implementing a new computer based fatigue system, replacing CAO 48 Flight and Duty times. Some operators have already switched to the new system, have heard some good and bad things about the new system. Anyone in a position to comment first hand????

the coyote
17th Apr 2002, 10:58
This is all second hand, so don't take it as gospel.

From what I can tell, it is quite specific to the company and what kind of work they do. All flying and duty undertaken has a certain fatigue rating if you like. For example an A to B charter for 3 hours is not as fatiguing as 3 hours of sling, so sling has a higher rating. This then equates to a progressive fatigue score as flight and duty is undertaken. There is then a certain fatigue score they can use to determine how fatigued the pilot will get and the rest required.

It does enable pilots (and companies) to work with more flexibility.

I think it works something like that, but I am sure it's quite a bit more involved. Hope it helps give you the general gist though...

I did hear on the grapevine that sooner or later, it will be either the fatigue system or CAO 48 for a company and no in betweens like exemptions and dispensations. Once again, not gospel just gossip.