PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE. Suspected Photobucket "phishing" scam?

Old Photo.Fanatic
9th Jan 2013, 19:41
I had an e-mail today saying I had opted out and to respond with a survey of some description.

Checked on Photobucket and it was still active for me.

Suspect some sort of scam.
Deleated the e-mail without opening it further.
I have messaged Photobucket asking what is going on.
Noted in raising this question on Photobucket, other members with the same query.

So be aware of this, any info from anybody will be much apppreciated.

OPF

Loose rivets
9th Jan 2013, 19:51
Noted, thanks.

OFSO
9th Jan 2013, 20:15
Me too, asking me if I liked the new Photobucket. Since there IS a new version of Pb, I assumed it was genuine, started answering the questions, but gave up when they became more complex (i.e., more than two answers to tick ! with which I can't deal late at night. Or early at night, come to that.)

Jury still out whether genuine or fake as far as I'm concerned, but I'm leaving it.

beaufort1
9th Jan 2013, 20:43
I had the same e-mail this morning and to be honest forgot about the survey. I think it's genuine as when I opened the link to my 'photobucket account' about an hour ago I had to sign in again and the front page had been changed.:)

Old Photo.Fanatic
9th Jan 2013, 21:06
Maybe!

I noted awhile back when I logged on to Photobucket that the format had been changed.
Found it a bit of a dogs breakfast.
So reverted back to the original format, loaded a lot of pics for PPrune no problems

When I logged on today it was back to the so called "New" format ,so yet again I reverted back. In doing so I was asked to fill in a survey as to why.

If the e-mail is just a query as to why I went back to the old format, it would have helped if this was explained in the E-mail, saying I had
opted out.

Until this is clarified in some way I willl continue to look a on the e-mail
as suspicious.

As regards the Photoshop format change , I say "if it aint broken why mend it"!!!

OPF

chiglet
9th Jan 2013, 21:08
Had similar months ago, saying my uploaded YOOtoobe vid was no1 and, I deleted it.[Haven't got a YT account....same with various banks who "hold one of my accoubts"].

G-CPTN
9th Jan 2013, 21:11
Photobucket that the format had been changed.
Found it a bit of a dogs breakfast.
Me too - I had to wade through all of my images rather than being able to 'go to' a page.

Didn't like the new format, but I've not had an email as yet.

gingernut
9th Jan 2013, 21:16
how do you revert to the old site?

G-CPTN
9th Jan 2013, 21:21
how do you revert to the old site? There was an icon on the opening page. I didn't see it at first, but I went back and found it. You have to fill in your reasons why you want to revert.

I told 'em (Oldham).

ExSp33db1rd
9th Jan 2013, 21:42
As regards the Photoshop format change , I say "if it aint broken why mend it"!!!

Quite. I say that about everything I touch these days, but I guess the poor Yuppies have to justify their existence? OK, but leave me out of it, standing in the rain jiggling two pennies to use the red phone box at the end of the road didn't stunt my growth, or career, tho' I must admit that I prefer to carry a point and shoot digital camera around instead of the heavy leather case containing a brass and mahogany camera and a dozen 12x10 glass plates !

( some 'progress' is good I guess )

spekesoftly
10th Jan 2013, 10:46
There was an icon on the opening page. I didn't see it at first .........

Many thanks for that G-CPTN.

I only use Photobucket infrequently, and was unaware of the changes until reading this thread. After logging in to the new format, it said that my album was empty! I could easily have missed the option to revert, which thankfully sorted the problem.

beaufort1
10th Jan 2013, 11:46
I must admit they seem to change the format about twice a year and I agree that if it's not broke why fix it.
Similar analogy to supermarkets moving things around I guess.
I'll change the format on my account back to where it was as well, thanks for pointing this out. :)