PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

Lightning Mate
8th Jan 2013, 15:11
Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting. For example, the other day Mrs. LM and I went into town and visited a shop.

When we came out there was a police officer writing out a parking ticket.

We went up to him and I said “Come on man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?” He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him an ***hole. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for worn-out tyres.

So Memsab called him a ****head. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windscreen with the first. Then he started writing more tickets. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote.

After about twenty minutes and yet more tickets our bus arrived and we got on it and went home.

We try to have a little fun each day now that we’re retired – it’s important at our age.

What the Fug
8th Jan 2013, 15:17
The above is why they have locks on Old Folks homes

rgbrock1
8th Jan 2013, 15:33
Lightning Mate:

I'm sure the owner of the car will be very appreciative of your
actions! :=

DX Wombat
8th Jan 2013, 15:54
These youngsters have no sense of humour do they LM? :E
Mind you, I do feel sorry for the person who was driving the car.

radeng
8th Jan 2013, 15:55
It is rather an old joke.......Should be on the Friday jokes thread somewhere

airship
8th Jan 2013, 16:04
We try to have a little fun each day now that we’re retired – it’s important at our age.

I'm 99.9% sure that your post was in mere imaginary jest and 100% in an endeavour of reintroducing some humour into the lives of so many sad JBers including myself today...?! :ok:

Ah'm sorry all you ageing folks, and fer mah accent too (always remembering the sheriff J.W. Pepper, from the James Bond movie "Live and Let Die"):

State Trooper: Yessir. J.W., let me have a word with ya. J.W., now this fellow's from London England. He's a Englishman workin' in cooperation with our boys, a sorta... secret agent.

Sheriff J.W. Pepper: Secret AGENT? On WHOSE side?

Now that our elected politicians have to deal with all the minutaeand lesser important issues after the end of the cold war, they're simply over-whelmed. How can they continue to build innocent duck ponds / duck houses in 2012/3 whilst ignoring more pressing issues...?! :ugh:

DX Wombat
8th Jan 2013, 16:08
Airship, it's one of the unfathomable mysteries of the universe. Don't try to understand it, you will only suffer severe brain ache. :{

Sunnyjohn
8th Jan 2013, 18:54
We frequently get asked the question 'What do you do all day', so I wrote a sort of 'Day in the life of'. It begins 'I usually get up at between six and seven am and go for a two hour bike ride - four to five hours at weekends.' Most people stop reading at the point.

radarman
8th Jan 2013, 19:19
Retirement sucks! Mrs r and I get (in various combinations) four grandchildren and two dogs dumped on us every day. Starts at 08.30, goes through the school run at 15.15, and ends - thankfully, about 17.30. Today it was 19.00. Then we have to start cleaning all the dog hairs, sticky finger prints, crisp and biscuit crumbs from the floors and furniture. It's now 21.15 and we've managed to have a bit of supper and a G&T. Ten minutes rest looking through JB, then radardog will need to go for his evening constitutional. By the time we get back it's time for a mug of cocoa and off to bed. Only for it to start again tomorrow morning.

Bollicks to retirement, I want to go back to work.

dead_pan
8th Jan 2013, 20:07
radarman - you have my deepest sympathies. I for one would not welcome the prospect of being one of the ever-growing number of retirees who get leaned on by their offspring for day care duties etc. Its not right to be called on at that point in your life when you should be kicking back and looking after no.1 for a change.

Perhaps you could co-fund a nanny or au pair to do the heavy lifting?

eastern wiseguy
8th Jan 2013, 20:11
I received confirmation of my retirement date today...strange to see it in writing BUT I can hardly wait!!! 112 to go:ok:

Standard Noise
8th Jan 2013, 20:23
SPLITTER!!

DX Wombat
8th Jan 2013, 20:36
Is that 112 years, months, weeks, days, shifts, hours or minutes EWG?

ZOOKER
8th Jan 2013, 20:45
I would be back at work at 0630 tomorrow if I could.

eastern wiseguy
8th Jan 2013, 20:46
SN....getting out to spend your pension contributions!!:E

DX....Days....but not including weekends or leave!! :ok:

Cacophonix
8th Jan 2013, 20:47
Out there on the horizon I see a whole generation that won't be able to retire at all.

Guess it will be bop till you drop time.

Caco

Standard Noise
8th Jan 2013, 20:54
Aye, I'll keep you in your frail dotage, only 6635 days til I retire, all the while paying into the system to keep you in waffles and tartan golf trousers. Then I can retire to where the fork wants to go.........................................Bangor! All that hard work to end up back where I started.

But you enjoy yerself in the land of the supersizers, I'll be fine as I head for penury.:{

eastern wiseguy
8th Jan 2013, 21:18
SN....don't forget to bring a Fleg!!

JEM60
8th Jan 2013, 21:42
Retired 9 years ago. Didn't want to, but she made me do it. Wonderful, love it. South Africa for a month, went down to see the Lightnings in Thunder City whilst they were still flying. Caribbean Cruises, Norway Cruises, etc.,loads of Ballroom and Latin dancing, don't have time for it all. Just started Sequence Dancing. Only old folks do that apparently...............Having a great time, despite serious cancer ,possibly cured.
The only trouble is that time is getting shorter, and one doesn't know how much is left. Don't have to be rich to enjoy retirement [I most certainly am not!] but if you are careful, you can do pretty well anything. ENJOY!!.

ILS32
8th Jan 2013, 22:02
Retirement is a lot better than working, there is no doubt about that.I worked 33 years as a engineer for one company.I started as a young apprentice aged 15 years old until they decided that they no longer wanted anyone older than 50.They paid me an enhanced redundancy payment and an enhanced pension. I was 48 years six months old.and the year was 1996.The company pension kicked in at 50.I have just started collecting my state pension,never had it so good.There is one essential requirement for anyone reaching retirement age,you need to keep the mind,body and soul active.If you have no interests outside of working then you will not have a happy retirement.It is important to keep occupied other than just sitting at home all day watching the television.I bought myself a keyboard and learnt how to play it.From April to October I am a Crown Green Bowler playing five or six days a week in all weathers.I have my computer,addicted to PPRuNe.I have just taken up photography and spend hours with my free GIMP photo processing software.I would have never believed what you can do to a photographic image.So for anyone about to retire find some hobbies that you think you will enjoy,plenty of exercise and above all keep your mind active.If you put all this into practice you really will enjoy retirement. Oh and by the way a month in Lanzarote coming up in March.

Worrals in the wilds
8th Jan 2013, 22:07
Retirement sucks! Mrs r and I get (in various combinations) four grandchildren and two dogs dumped on us every day. Starts at 08.30, goes through the school run at 15.15, and ends - thankfully, about 17.30. Today it was 19.00. You guys should go on an extended trip somewhere for a while until your offspring figure out that you're not a free babysitting service.

Is that 112 years, months, weeks, days, shifts, hours or minutes EWG? One of the Brisbane Tower controllers started counting down from 500 shifts to go and would announce the daily tally on ground frequency every time he started a shift. :\

Cacophonix
8th Jan 2013, 22:12
Not retired but am slowly getting tired of the daily slog! My old man retired at 51 and now I am envious of him...

I guess one should never really retire but simply do more of the fun things in life...

"Another glass of that Chateau Dief 1965 my love he said looking at his charming wife with whom he been for 50 years"... ;)

Caco

TBirdFrank
9th Jan 2013, 01:06
Starting up a railwayana auction company - website goes live tomorrow!

Organising a new vehicle gathering in August, around Saddleworth, on the theme of fillums and seris shot around there.

Digitising around forty Hi8 films for editing to DVDs - I'm starting with American Narrow Gauge in Colorado

Loooking after dogs - and yes - we get the grandsons here regularly too - and while I love them to bits I don't when they kick the IT kit all voer the floor when it has taken me months to find and check it! :mad:

Playing with elderly and not so elderly motors - getting a bit of sailing in - and Pppruning!

How did I ever find time for work???

Nervous SLF
9th Jan 2013, 01:30
One of the Brisbane Tower controllers started counting down from 500 shifts to go and would announce the daily tally on ground frequency every time he started a shift. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wibble.gif

Everytime I go in I tell them how many potential work days I have left :) The company I work for works 7 days a week including all public holidays so can't say how many actual days as by law I cannot work more than 72 hours without a 24 hour rest.It has also got to the stage that some people who work for companies I visit have also started asking me how many days to go :). A couple of fellow workers have started making bets that I will return within 2 weeks of leaving but as my wife will still be at work NO chance to that - I want to become a kept man :)

ExSp33db1rd
9th Jan 2013, 02:01
I enjoyed my work, and I still enjoy flying, but just once, just once more, I'd like to get a handful of 747 throttles, push them forward, give them to the Flt. Eng. to set Take Off power - and wait for the co-pilot to say V.1, Rotate - and Off We Go Into The Wide Blue Yonder.

It's not the same in a single engined, single seat behind a 40 HP VW Beetle engine - even if it does fly !! ( and I have to be my own Flt. Eng. too ! - that really hurts )

obgraham
9th Jan 2013, 06:34
In my line of work I certainly encountered many colleagues who just couldn't come to grips with the retirement thing. Sometimes it was because they figured the world could not get along without them, and for others, work just completely consumed them.

Seems to me that if you have no interests other than working, you have mis-managed your life.

I don't miss working one bit -- there are infinite other things to keep my interest. And they are much more enjoyable on a more relaxed schedule.

handsfree
9th Jan 2013, 06:44
Retirement must be the hound equivalent of being taken to a field and having your lead taken off.
It is quite simply the best thing that ever happened to me and that in spite of having a job that I really enjoyed.

Lightning Mate
9th Jan 2013, 06:48
I agree with both of you.

No grandchildren, no mortgage, three pensions and still saving over £2000 a month.

No stress and able to take holidays when and where wished.

Boredom? Not a bit of it - plenty to do.

Tableview
9th Jan 2013, 07:00
I have never been so busy or had so many fulfilling things to do since 'retiring'. I wonder how I had time to go to work! I have to keep a diary now, something I never did before, and I had a busy responsible job with frequent world-wide travel.

MagnusP
9th Jan 2013, 07:13
I'm already semi-retired, at least from astronomical engineering, and have just over 4 years to run in this job, but might go earlier. Grandchildren? None yet, but I'd be happy to look after them should they appear. Mind you, I'd fill the sprogs up with sugar before handing them back - let my daughters see how it feels! :p

And I might get time to build that parlour guitar I've wanted for years!

Lightning Mate
9th Jan 2013, 07:23
I still think it's important to get up early (I get up at 0600) and go to bed at a reasonable time though.

It's amazing what can be achieved by 1000 in the morning, even in winter.

I now have the time to wash dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher - saves a bomb on water and electricity.

JEM60
9th Jan 2013, 07:42
LM. I couldn't agree with you more!. Early morning is a fabulous time of day, particularly in summer. In winter, my job is to make sure the kitchen is immaculate, like you, handwashing dishes by the near redundant dishwasher, and then issue herself with two cups of tea before she is really awake. Do what I like, computer games,Pprune etc.,, and then am ready to face the day with whatever she has in mind [buying Bury St. Edmunds usually]
Remember that sleep is a rehearsal for dying!!.
I am fortunate to have a younger, beautiful wife [so other people tell me] so I am not allowed much inactivity, which is good, because television bores the hell out of me these days.

Lightning Mate
9th Jan 2013, 07:47
I think some of us are beginning to win this argument. :)

JEM60
9th Jan 2013, 07:49
LM. Just mentioned your last post to herself. She says she hates retirement, because she has no time to herself!!. Can't please everybody, I guess!.

Lightning Mate
9th Jan 2013, 07:58
There is only one problem with retirement - you never get a day off! :)

She should be pleased to have you around all the time. She can always get out on her own when she wishes. :uhoh:

radeng
9th Jan 2013, 09:45
172 days for me. The government don't want me to work - if they did, they wouldn't take 40% of the resulting income. By not working, I stay just under the 40% tax band.

Seldomfitforpurpose
9th Jan 2013, 11:50
Retired last June at 55 after doing my time RAF wise, spent 13 weeks touring Europe in our Motorhome. Now in Thailand and doing a whistle stop tour of Malaysia, Vietnam and Cambodia till mid Feb before climbing back into the Motorhome in Apr to head to Constanta then spending 5 months ambling west to Portugal.

Retirement is hell :ok:

DX Wombat
9th Jan 2013, 12:07
SFFP - may I recommend you take your motorhome to Norway next May (2014) preferably to include 17th May which is the National Day. I did this with my caravan a few years ago without realising the significance of 17th and had a great time. I booked only the initial site then, apart from a really lovely time staying with friends, just travelled wherever I wished. The people were lovely, very friendly and helpful and the vast majority spoke excellent English. Details available if you would like them.

OFSO
9th Jan 2013, 12:23
Retirement is when you throw off the chains of servitude (although in my case I loved my job and worked with some great guys and even greater ladies in a fantastic environment) and you can do what YOU want to WHEN and WHERE you want to. Find some all involving hobby/interest/whatever and throw yourself in.

Saddest thing I've ever seen is old colleagues who go home, sit and do nothing. Most die after a few years.

(Mrs OFSO suggested that I tell you that I'm both working on developing spicy flavoured vodkas, and in the evening I'm training as a brain surgeon*. So there.)

* Padraigh O'Shaunessy's "Learn Brain Surgery in Ten Easy Steps", companion volume to Padraigh O'Shaunessy's "Learn Ballroom Dancing in Ten Easy Steps", Padraigh O'Shaunessy's "Learn Simple Car Maintenance in Ten Easy Steps", and Padraigh O'Shaunessy's "Lean Pigeon Breeding and Nuclear Reactor Maintenance in Ten Easy Steps".

TBirdFrank
9th Jan 2013, 19:36
There you go - all my own concept - and Eduanna's elder brothers technical work!

Great Northern Railwayana Auctions (http://www.gnrauctions.co.uk)

alisoncc
9th Jan 2013, 20:01
I still think it's important to get up early (I get up at 0600)Teeing off, with a couple of friends, at 6.00 am on my local golf course is absolutely magic. Course is totally deserted, and the greens, still covered with early morning dew, are totally devoid of footprints. Been doing it twice a week for the last month or so before the midday heat. Do have a snooze in the afternoon to catch up.

goudie
9th Jan 2013, 20:13
'Only Fools and Horses Work'

I retired from full time employment 20 years ago. Had several part-time jobs 'til I was 65, more for something to do than the money. 3 index linked pensions ensure financial security. I sing in a male harmony chorus which keeps me active in mind, spirit and body. Walk most days with Mrs G and visit the pub a couple of times a week for a pint and chat. I still savour going to bed at night knowing I don't have to be up at 06.00 to drive round the M25 to work.

OFSO
9th Jan 2013, 20:28
I'm afraid Mr OFSO is still an early riser, the habit of a lifetime gets me out of bed at 07:00 every morning, no exceptions.

Although it's earlier to bed these days: no more dancing down King's Road at 3 a.m. wearing a harlot's knickers on my head.

(I don't know any harlots these days...sad, isn't it).

Worrals in the wilds
9th Jan 2013, 20:57
Their knickers are probably lying around if you ever feel nostalgic. :}

All this talk of early rising is filling me with dread; if there's one thing I look forward to in retirement it's being able to sleep in every day and stay up until 2am without thinking 'Jeez, gotta be at work tomorrow. Better turn in...:('

That said, by the time we get to retirement age we'll probably work until there's no option left except being ground up and turned into green biscuits. :sad: Only nine years to go, well before my retirement...:}
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Soylent_green.jpg/220px-Soylent_green.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Jan 2013, 21:16
Well I'm coming up to my 6th year of retirement and it's great! None of this 6am stuff - did enough of that (and earlier) when I was working as an IT consultant, having to get to far away meetings for 9:00am.

I still have some paid employment (as a Concorde guide, and doing education stuff with schools at the airport), I'm also a volunteer with two heritage railways (one as steam loco crew and one as signalman), and with National Trust (water wheels and steam engines, not country houses!).

Lots of other interests as well including motorbikes (got one in bits in the garage now undergoing winter overhaul), hill walking, writing and other stuff as well. Couldn't have done any of this (except some w/e Concorde work) when I was working. Sold my aeroplane share but looking for another, nearer home.

It's just fantastic! I got the chance of an early bath at 58 and I'm soooo glad I took it - once into the mid 60s the body lets you know it ain't gonna last as a fully functioning machine for ever!

ExSp33db1rd
9th Jan 2013, 21:47
One of my colleagues wives commented, after retirement, I married him for better or worse, not breakfast, tea and bloody dinner !

G-CPTN
9th Jan 2013, 21:55
Great Northern Railwayana Auctions (http://www.gnrauctions.co.uk)

Will we all be still around?

Nervous SLF
9th Jan 2013, 22:55
Quote "once into the mid 60s the body lets you know it ain't gonna last as a fully functioning machine for ever!"

That is sooo true and have you also noticed the floor gets further away than it used to? I used to have several hobbies but financial and health problems along with orders from SWMBO ended my participation in them :{

OFSO
10th Jan 2013, 10:22
once into the mid 60s the body lets you know it ain't gonna last as a fully functioning machine for ever

And this, Nervous, is when you let your body know you aren't going to accept any of this "ageing" bullsh*t.

Climb mountains, surf wild waves, run with the bulls at Pamplona, sail a 14m yacht off Cape Creus with a 'tram' blowing: these things will keep you young and if you die in the process at least you have escaped being some boring old f*rt dying in bed surrounded by weeping loved ones who can't wait to get their hands on your will.

Worals, not only do I not know any harlots, but I don't even know any promiscuous wimmin' these days. This is a shameful state of affairs I know, but I see no remedy.

The SSK
10th Jan 2013, 12:17
Here's an undemanding job for reluctant retirees

First Choice - Slide tester | FirstChoice blog (http://blog.firstchoice.co.uk/slider-tester-job/)

teeteringhead
10th Jan 2013, 14:12
One recalls an advert a few years ago - was it the Kit-Kat choccy bar? - that made the statement: Nobody's last words were ever: "I wish I'd spent more time in the office!" ... works for me - or will - about three and a half years and counting on present plans - much as I love my job (honestly!) :ok:

Lightning Mate
10th Jan 2013, 14:21
I couldn't now do the job I loved most - can't take the g any more.

As for all the girls of my youth, can't do that either!! :uhoh:

1DC
10th Jan 2013, 14:23
When I used to leave the house at 0600/30ish on a nice summer morning, I would say that when I retired I would still get up but sit outside reading the paper with a coffee and listen to the world starting up. I haven,t done it yet! Mainly cos I couldn't,t get a paper delivered before 0830, however, I now have a kindle and the paper arrives on it at 0400. I am now waiting for the summer to see if I will resume an early rise..

vulcanised
10th Jan 2013, 14:26
Many retirees are said to be on nice little part time earners with the likes of YODEL.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Jan 2013, 14:39
Many retirees are said to be on nice little part time earners with the likes of YODEL.

Don't tell the Airport, but I'd still do my Concorde / Nimrod etc guiding & education guiding even if they didn't pay me. As they do, it pays for a nice holiday each year and quite a bit of flying!

And it's great to get on a morning commuter train at rush hour (with me senior rail card of course!) and observe all the wage slaves off for hours at the grindstone, while I'm on my way to a day on the footplate of a steam locomotive. :ok:

Lightning Mate
10th Jan 2013, 14:46
...to see if I will resume an early rise..

Can't do that either. :E

Keef
10th Jan 2013, 14:54
I retired from the "day job" 16 years ago, and haven't regretted it for a moment. I went back to college and did another degree, then used it in my second career. Very fulfilling and satisfying it is, without being exhausting. I only have to get up early one day a week (usually).

Some folks who retired when i did just sat back in the armchair and did nothing. They didn't survive.

As I was told when I retired "It's a job for the younger man".

Phalconphixer
10th Jan 2013, 14:54
After a lifetimes experience as an Avionics Tech, I was forced by redundancy into early retirement as age 62. Finding similar work proved virtually impossible; until I removed my DoB from my c.v., I couldn’t even get an interview. Got an interview finally and was accepted by the Avionics Engineering Manager and was then promptly rejected by the HR people (for withholding information which would have eliminated me from the initial sift of application…)

Two private pensions payable at 60 took my earnings to just over £8K which at that time was the cut off point for the dole so no benefits whatsoever. Nothing much doing on the alternate jobs front apart from minimum wage jobs like meeter/greeter at B and Q or shelf filling at Tesco, things looked pretty grim as I still had a mortgage to pay. I’d always enjoyed driving so I applied for a PSV licence course with a guaranteed job on passing with First Group. Passed the test, got the job, and finally was let loose on my own… at £8.50 per hour! T’would have been a good job too if it wasn’t for the passengers and having to stop every 100 yards or so and meet timetable schedules laid down by someone who clearly had never driven in Portsmouth! Three months into the job and let loose for the first time on a pride of the fleet Scania OmniCity, a 12 meter all singin’, all dancin’ bus that virtually drove itself. Route 40 from the City Centre to a council estate in the back of beyond. (Not quite the end of the world but you can see it from there…). I turned into the estate very slowly as was necessary and was met with a hail of stones, gravel and small bricks hurled by a bunch of yobbos, which completely totalled the windscreen. This was followed by a torrent of abuse from some of the pax when I stopped and called the police and my controllers. It was at this point that I completely lost the plot… The bus was driveable but not with passengers aboard, so I waited for the next scheduled bus to appear and transferred my pax over to this bus. I then drove my bus back to the garage, filled out a Damage Report and a police report and promptly told my bosses ‘that’s it I’m outta here!”

Using my redundancy money and a little bit hacked off my pensions, I had bought a tiny little village house out in the campo near Granada. I put my Portsmouth house on the market, and used the proceeds to pay off the mortgage and the few other debts we had. There was enough left over for a minimalist reform of the house in Spain. Three months later we got the hell out of Dodge and I’ve never been back.

As for retirement… my days and nights are filled with DOGS… dogs of every shape and size, from a Greyhound and a Saluki to a pack of three Andalucian Podencos and one very young pointer. All are abandonados. The Greyhound and the Saluki were both rescued in England and came out here with us, four other Spanish dogs found refuge with us before being rehomed in England. I live here, my wife spends alternate months scurrying back and forth between here and England where she works to raise money to support our pack and other animal rescue organisations we support. At one time we had nine dogs in our little two up, two down, terrace house at the same time No garden, no patio, just regular walks to make sure their toilet and exercise needs are met. My day starts early and finishes late. Bedtime is a joke; when OH is here the dogs are barred from our bedroom, but the rest of the time it’s a free-for-all to see who gets the prime spots…

I don’t have time to get bored…

What the Fug
10th Jan 2013, 15:13
Bit of Logans run logic on the over sixties would free up some money, one might even get an appointment with the quack within the week

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Jan 2013, 15:33
SFFP - may I recommend you take your motorhome to Norway next May (2014) preferably to include 17th May which is the National Day.

A very nice suggestion however having done Norway many times with work the 'cost' of it all is keeping us away :ok:

broadreach
10th Jan 2013, 20:57
What an interesting thread. So it's not just me and all that.

I'm in the process of retiring from my second career, first one being corporate, second one building up own consultancy, now passing the reins, selling out and considering future options.

I've been very fortunate throughout and the angel on one of my shoulders says I need to pay back. One way to do that, and I've been working at it, is developing or financing a teaching methodology that uses tablets to help illiterate adults to read and write. It's been slow going and perhaps I've been too easily discouraged.

The devil on my other shoulder says, sh1t, trade in the Corolla for a 4x4 Tdi Hilux and, with an old mate who's done most of the calculations already, do a full survey of the Transoceanica Sur highway linking Peru's Pacific ports to Brazil's soy production, if only to debunk the illusion that it'll be cheaper for Brazil to export soybeans to China via Peru than via Atlantic ports and past South Africa.

Nice set of options, aren't they.

Hydromet
10th Jan 2013, 22:02
When I used to leave the house at 0600/30ish on a nice summer morning, I would say that when I retired I would still get up but sit outside reading the paper with a coffee and listen to the world starting up.
Exactly what I do now.
Rising early is much nicer when you don't have to. As is working long hours (again, when you're doing it out of pure enjoyment.)

Desert185
10th Jan 2013, 23:51
Retired from the airline in 2007, and went right into a hobby job still flying jets for 10-15 weeks a year as a contract pilot. Good combination, as I enjoy both worlds. Life is good.

air pig
11th Jan 2013, 00:00
Retired out of the NHS at 55, best thing I ever did, but went back to them working 20 hours a month or two nights every 28 days, on my terms, gotta keep the hand in. Took up flying as medical flight crew for a fantastic air ambulance company in the UK, UKs biggest. Been to some amazing places and work with a bunch of guys and girls in all parts of the company, who have a can-do attitude rather than the at times can't do of the NHS. Yeah, life is good, wonderful girlfriend, good food and drink, and many friends, what more do you needed apart from more hours in the day to fit everything in. :ok::cool::cool::p

JEM60
11th Jan 2013, 07:23
LM. At least you still have the memories.:) I had to sit next to seriously pretty 17 year olds whilst I taught them to drive. Tough job, but someone had to do it!. I still have all the memories. I suspected that I would end up marrying a pupil, but met a lovely girl outside of working. I was Grammar School educated, so a driving instructor might not be the be all and end all of professions, but I loved it, was good at it, worked very very hard, and it enabled me to glide, PPL, and Skydive, and see a very large part of the world.
A recent poster said how fortunate he had been, and spent some time giving society something back. I felt the same way, and for 3 years, after retiring, became an emergency volunteer with MAGPAS [those who live in East Anglia may know about this org.] My, and others, job was to keep our villagers alive, with oxygen, defibralators etc., etc., until the ambulance arrived. I found it very fulfilling, but sometimes tragic, but it was, if you like, akin to paying a debt.
When I was working, I always stressed to the youngsters that it really is necessary, when the time came [as, of course it inevitably will] to be able to die with a smile on one's face, and, if in a nursing home [God Forbid!!], to be sitting there remembering the things that one did, rather than the things you wished you had done!. So, very important to keep going with the bucket list, mine is almost finished [got to cruise Alaska next year following a post- cancer rejoin of some tubing!] This is not the dress rehearsal, this is IT.:) Enjoy!.

moosp
11th Jan 2013, 08:30
I'll add to the optimism of this thread. I'm a newcomer to this retirement thing as I only started the task four months ago in early 60s but so far it's hectic.

Changed countries, so a new cultural experience keeps me interested already. Moved to a beautiful place in the mountains and watch the morning light with awe as it illuminates the peaks. I love mountains and yet still I have not had time to get up there amongst them.

A new house requires lots of stuff to be done on it, despite being in a country where most others say "get a man to fix it". True I could but I haven't had time to do satisfying home improvements for many years so it is a delight to start again.

I am still waiting for the morning when I can sit on the patio with a newspaper and a coffee but it hasn't happened yet. We are in a wine area so there are about 50 wineries to visit and sample. I take it seriously and record my tasting notes and intend to do one a day when I start properly but I still have no time to start the tasting project.

I still haven't got my foreign flying licence re-validated but I intend to. I even thought of doing a PPL from scratch to learn it properly this time after 19,000 hours of airline work.

I resonated to those who say kitchen work is satisfying. I am a far better cook than I was last year, and intend to be better next year. I have TIME to play in the kitchen and we usually enjoy the results.

I am not yet old enough for golf.

Perhaps I may tire of this in a year but so far retirement is the best job I've ever had.

Lightning Mate
11th Jan 2013, 08:41
Another two people enjoying retirement.

I tell you something else as well - If I had the chance to live my life all over again, I would hardly change anything.:)

JEM60
11th Jan 2013, 09:10
LM.With you on that, although life didn't begin until I met my wife when I was 26.
Got my a.se in gear after that, and things started to happen.
I learnt then that the world didn't owe me a living, so I earned it. I am well satisfied with the result.

Lightning Mate
11th Jan 2013, 09:30
.....that the world didn't owe my a living, so I earned it.

How many useless scroungers in this country could do with that advice?

Tableview
11th Jan 2013, 16:51
Like many peopl,e for a long time I was too busy working to enjoy life or to make money for myself. A few years ago I manoeuvered myself into a position where the company I worked for had to get rid of me, and it cost them plenty.

I thought this would be some sort of early retirement but many opportunities knocked at my door, including my old company asking me to do consultancy work for them, but now on my terms rather than theirs and without the politics, meetings, form filling, and nastiness.

I also lecture at a couple of business schools, using my experience of a lifetime in travel and aviation, and get paid good money for something I enjoy, talking to people.

None of this would have been possible if I was 'working'.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Jan 2013, 17:58
I find the majority of the stories posted to be the 'cosy happy ending' type, everything in clover :ok: I wonder, hypothetically of course, if in even 10 years how many of the next generation to retire will be able to retire so young and with enough fat on them to last the winter. The way things are going with living costs, even just getting to work :ugh: seems like an uphill battle and with pensions and savings losing their worth due to government/market influences it makes for sobering projections.

I say good luck to any and all baby-boomers for their good fortune to be able to marry hard work and intelligence with perhaps the most fortuitous period in modern times for the masses in terms of living standards and wealth. It might not come around again for a while :{

SHJ