PDA

View Full Version : What's the BEST beer in the world? ..... EVER!!!

Shadowpurser
16th Apr 2002, 22:09
Let's see how long this one stays on here for. I'm willing to bet we can rack up a load of posts and hundreds on views on this one!!!

I vote for BECKS - can't go wrong with it - tastes great and you can get it pretty much all over the world.

swashplate
16th Apr 2002, 22:22
Has to be Schnieder Wiesse!!! :cool:

Nectar in a glass.........

widgeon
16th Apr 2002, 22:44
Can't say as I have not tasted em all yet.
Andechs is up there IMHO.

HugMonster
16th Apr 2002, 22:50
Free beer!

pigboat
16th Apr 2002, 23:39
Can't quibble with that, Hug.:)

scran
17th Apr 2002, 00:17
As someone said - have not tried all of them (despite some serious effort to do so!) and not being partial to UK "warm" beer - (OK Room temp beer then!!!) this is a hard question.

Of cold/chilled beer - Samual Adams Boston Lager

:p

TowerDog
17th Apr 2002, 00:57
Yeah, Becks is good:
My fridge, my liver and my brain is full of Becks right now.

The very best beer however is not free...(Hugh, ya are a slut..)

The best pilsner is Dahl,s. Made in Trondheim, Norway.

That city by the way, is also where the cool guys are from....:cool:

min
17th Apr 2002, 02:21
Hmmm...a touch of bias, TD??? :)

I haven't tried many beers, but I do like Coopers from my own home town of Adelaide. By the same token, I detest Southwark which was also from my own home town :)

M.

Rich-Fine-Green
17th Apr 2002, 02:38
MMMMmmmmm Beeerrrrr.

At last, a debate on a subject that I am qualified to contribute to;

Best and fairest award goes to - 'James Boags' out of Tasmania closely followed by 'Old Red Dog' out of Maine.

If we can expand the debate to include toilet water as well then the wooden spoon goes to 'Kingfisher' from India. makes a good degreaser as an alternative. :p

GIMPOSH
17th Apr 2002, 03:02
I can honestly say that my Fathers Home Brew is the best damned drop in the world. He has spent a lot of years perfecting it, I have enjoyed helping him. The opening of the first of a new batch is always call for a celebration in our place.

But then again I am a XXXX drinker as well so some may say my taste buds require calibration.

Blacksheep
17th Apr 2002, 04:43
The best beer is here (http://www.blacksheep.co.uk)

I apologise for advertising, but it really is in your best interests :)

Through difficulties to the cinema

Flip Flop Flyer
17th Apr 2002, 07:13
Chimay Bleau .... 9% poor pleasure from Belgium

Alternatively there are several other Trappetist beers available, nearly all of them tastes like heaven.

Dr. Hibbert
17th Apr 2002, 07:33
Has to be Dog's B*ll*cks

http://www.wychwood.co.uk/draught_beers.htm

angels
17th Apr 2002, 07:39
Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Bitter -- drunk in situ. IE in Yorkshire. There are several pubs down south that do it, but it doesn't seem to travel.
Lagerwise I'd go for Tsingtao.
Cheers!

under_exposed
17th Apr 2002, 07:58
The only reason lager is cold is so you cant taste how bad it is.

For a real beer go for Tangefoot. I do however like pacific maritime nightwatch which I found in Seattle.

Send Clowns
17th Apr 2002, 08:03
Beck's Shadow? Not a bad lager, just very ordinary.

My vote will go to Brakspeare's Old , though brews from St Austell, Badger, Sam Smith's, Fuller's and Shepherd Neame breweries could put up good cases.

As for cold beer, the best must be from either Belgium or the Czech Republic, though my research there is not so extensie, so I will have to defer to others to select. I rather like Pilsner Urquell (genuine pilsner, from Pilsen) and the various types of Chimay.

Hersham Boy
17th Apr 2002, 08:05
I thought it was Peroni (the full strength Nastro Azzuro model - not the red labelled bottle) until I tasted James Boags in Aus.

Yumyumyumyumyum

Hersh

The Greaser
17th Apr 2002, 08:18
There seems to be an inordinate number of lightweight lager drinkers here - I mean Becks, what sort of dilute urine is that. My vote would be for Timothy Taylor Landlord or Fullers ESB. Something that real men/women drink.

SpinSpinSugar
17th Apr 2002, 08:38
Lager wise, nothing beats Staropramen. Although I quite like Tuborg.

However you can't beat a chilly glass of Guinness.

Biggles Flies Undone
17th Apr 2002, 08:45
My local ale, Harveys Best, is a cracking pint - and at 4.0% is a good session ale. When I'm up North I'm very partial to a drop of Sam Smiths or even Tetleys, but neither travel very well.

The guest beer in my local at the moment is St Austell HSD - reminds me of some wonderful holidays in Fowey, but definitely not a beer for glugging :eek:

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread first - 09.40 and I've got a thirst :D

Mago
17th Apr 2002, 08:51
I am sorry to tell all of you that if you have not tasted POLAR you have not tasted beer!!

And after four of them they taste better and better and better.....:D

FlyingForFun
17th Apr 2002, 08:51
Do we have to stick to beer? I don't mind beer if it's all that's going, but I'd much rather drink vodka. :cool:

I used to think that Smirnoff Black, straight out of the freezer, couldn't be beaten. Fill a shot glass to the top, open the back of the throat, and just tip it in - beautifully smooth. Even managed to convert a couple of PPRuNers at the first proper COVBash last year when we stumbled across a pub which served the stuff - the couple of people who were brave enough to join me couldn't believe that what they'd just drunk was neat vodka, it was far too smooth. :)

But then, on my travels, I came across a bottle of Stolichnaya Gold. I know that the standard Stoli is better than the standard Smirnoff, so I had high hopes for the Gold stuff. Bought a bottle, shipped it back home, saved it for a special occassion (which happened just a week later ;) ) and share it with - you guessed it - some COVBashers! The overall opinion was that it is, without a doubt, the smoothest vodka there is. :D

If anyone knows somewhere in the UK where I can buy Stolichnaya Gold, please let me know. :confused: I'd be willing to travel!

FFF
-----------

???pax
17th Apr 2002, 10:43
I discovered 'Anchor Steam' the last time I was in the States. To my delight my local off-license here in blighty sells it, so I am now as happy as Larry.

christep
17th Apr 2002, 11:01
Have to agree that Tanglefoot is pretty good, but for me the best is Gale's HSB... (I'd pay quite a lot if someone would ship that to Hong Kong)

Evo7
17th Apr 2002, 11:32
Gale's Ales HSB - although I'd agree with SpinSpinSugar about Staropramen :)

PPRuNe Radar
17th Apr 2002, 11:37
Any Brakspears drunk in the Angel sitting on the Thames at Henley ...... watching the girls go by ;)

Foss
17th Apr 2002, 12:19
Guinness. absolute tops.
Travel round the world and try it in different pubs. sometimes crap, sometimes great. but always a conversation starter.

You can neck a pint in one if yer in hurry or in a boat race, or quietly savour one and have a read of the paper.

It doesn't go flat if you leave it for five minutes, you can have your name written on the top so your pint never gets lost in a crowd.

Girls always want a sip, and then look cute with a Guinness moustache and even look cute drinking a silly half pint of the stuff.

ahhh, the bitter, smoky flavour...the joy of a half full pint..the anticipation while you wait at the bar...
(Homer like 'aaarrrrrgghhh...aaarr...guuuinnesss')

I'm off to the pub for an hour.
:D

AerBabe
17th Apr 2002, 21:17
Anything brewed by the Warwickshire Brewery. Especially their Best Bitter, and Golden Bear... yummy!

Anyone coming to the next CovBash, May 11th will have a great opportunity to taste these for themselves ;)

BLEKE
17th Apr 2002, 21:23
flipflopflyer it is TRAPPIST not trappetist but ok,
The best beer is without a doubt HOEGAARDEN.

:)

steamchicken
17th Apr 2002, 21:35
For Your Information:

1. Timothy Taylor's Landlord Ale is one of the great achievements of British - hell, Western civilisation, ranking with democracy, the Hawker Hunter, the Jaguar E-Type, PPRune, Ben Sherman shirts and drinking itself in the Pantheon of Honour.

2. Lager is not an evil drink. However it is usually safe to assume this in the UK! Budweiser - the REAL one from Czechland - is outstanding. SEE ALSO; Jever and Bitburg pilsners from Germany, Zipfer-Urtyp from Austria.

3. For a nation which considers BEER a central moral value, the Australians drink some truly vile swill. The stuff they export is even worse. Tooheys Old is the best of a poor bunch, VB is just tolerable.

4. Belgians. There is some very fine ale from Belgium, but there is quite a lot, especially the monastery stuff, which is far too strong and syrupy to drink. CONCLUSION: Persons in transit via Bruges are strongly advised to consume STRAFFE HENDRIK at all opportunities, unless they don't mind falling over.

AngleAndAttack
17th Apr 2002, 21:51
FlipFlopFlyer,

I have to agree with you about the Trappist.

Brewed by MUNKS. I once visited a monestary in Belgium where they brew the Trappist. ( btw Trappist munks).

Very strong.......:D

scran
18th Apr 2002, 00:35
Saw the answer last night on the TV: (aussies will understand this!)

"And the best cold beer is VIC - Victoria Bitter"

:D :p

(PS - But I'd still rather have a Sam Adams!!!!)

:p

haole
18th Apr 2002, 02:49
gentlemen, please remember that anything from the state of maine is good or better.

somewhatconcerned
18th Apr 2002, 02:59
but haole, what is your point of reference??

separator
18th Apr 2002, 06:03
Years of intensive research have revealed that the best beer is the next beer.

sprocket
18th Apr 2002, 07:50
Hey separator; only if the next one is a XXXX

:cool:

Another name for the venerable XXXX is Barbed wire. :eek:

I'm sure it is refering to the line of X's and not the way it "bites on the way down and scratches on the way out"!

:D ;)

M.Mouse
18th Apr 2002, 08:45
Is it true that xxxx is called that because they couldn't spell p i s s?

I think this should really be two threads, one for the poor unfortunates that have to drink that gassy washing up water aka lager and one for those that like beer eg Adnams, Directors etc.

under_exposed
18th Apr 2002, 09:13
old but think its appropriate

Seven bartenders were asked if they could identify personality based on what drinks were chosen. Though interviewed separately, they concurred on almost all counts.

The results:

WOMEN

Drink: Beer
Personality: Casual, low-maintenance; down to earth.
Approach: Challenge her to a game of pool.

Drink: Blender drinks with umbrella
Personality: Flaky, annoying, dizzy, and a pain in the ass
Approach: Avoid her, unless you want to be her cabin boy.

Drink: Mixed drinks - no umbrellas
Personality: Mature, has picky taste; knows what she wants.
Approach: If she wants you, she'll send YOU a drink.

Drink: Wine - (bottled not 4 litre cask)
Personality: Conservative and classy, sophisticated.(Pretentious)
Approach: Try and weave Paris and clothing into the conversation.

Drink: Barcardi Breezer - Hooch
Personality: Easy; thinks she is trendy and sophisticated, actually
has absolutely no clue.
Approach: Make her feel smarter than she is...and you're in.

Drink: Shots (Vodka, Gin etc.)
Personality: Hanging with boy pals or looking to get drunk...and naked.
Approach: Easiest hit in the joint. Nothing to do but wait.

MEN

Cheap Domestic Beer: He's poor and wants to get laid.

Premium Local Beer: He likes good beer and wants to get laid.

Imported Beer: He likes expensive beer and wants to get laid

Guinness: The man is a rapist and will get laid one way or another.

Wine: He's hoping that the wine thing will give him a sophisticated image and help him get laid.

Vodka: Extremely horny hound that would shag a warm scarf. Desperate to get laid.

Whisky: He doesn't give two shits about anything and will hit anyone who will get in his way of getting laid.

Southern Comfort: Not as masculine as the whisky drinker, knows all about feminine activities (knitting, crochet etc.) to weasel himself into getting laid.

Tequila: P'ss off, all you ******s, I'm gonna go shag something with a pulse. (Obviously from Barrow-in-Furness or the far North of Scotland)

Barcardi Breezer-Hooch: He's gay

Ella Valet
18th Apr 2002, 11:41
Ahh... Belgian Beer.

- Delirium Tremens (with the pink elephants on the glass) or La Guillotine from the same brewery
- Duvel
- Judas
- Kwak
- La Chouffe

...and about 300 others...

steamchicken
18th Apr 2002, 13:36
Exactly my point; all far too sweet and far too strong to drink in practice, the laboratory flowers of beer. The Belgian golden ales are far better, being just strong rather than knockout drops

Barbers Pole
18th Apr 2002, 21:10
Speights Gold
Speights Old Dark

Legendary New Zealand beers!

Shadowpurser
19th Apr 2002, 05:00
Hmmm looks like a few more beers left still to try out there mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Staropramen was my close second - see a couple of you opted for that.

Wizofoz
19th Apr 2002, 06:30
Kirin Ichi Ban CLOSELY followed by Asahi Dry....

:p :p :p :p :p

Ian Fleming
19th Apr 2002, 17:44
Greene King IPA.
aahhh how I miss it.......

GrandPrix
19th Apr 2002, 18:44
The best beer is the one you are consuming a that time.
UK: Boddingtons
Germany: Tucher Helles Hefeweizen
USA: Sam Adams Dark

Loki
19th Apr 2002, 21:56
Straf Hendrik

MikeSamuel
19th Apr 2002, 22:07
Got to agree with the earlier post Dog's B*ll*cks is simply as described...and also love "Waggledance" brewed by Young's, made with honey mmmmm..... :D

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2002, 22:36
But Mikey, how can you possibly know? You're too young to drink! ;)

brit bus driver
20th Apr 2002, 03:16
Throwing Beer For Everyday Consumption: Fuller's London Pride (common as muck, but a reliable pint)

American Beer: NEVER drink anything other than the best local micro-brewery you can find, and never buy from the grocery store.

In Canada: Muskoka Cream Ale, if you can find it. If not, stick to the US advice.

In Europe: Leffe Brun is yummy, but on a hot day, a nice German Pils hits the spot.

Down under: A green stubby seems to work

Bloody hell, isn't life great. Flying and beer.........:D :D

(but never together of course!) If only there were women too....hang on a minute..