PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft pieces wash up on East Coast of Barbados

Gooneyone
7th Jan 2013, 22:21
Interesting article at below link on aircraft pieces that washed up on the Barbados (TBPB) coastline today.
Some speculation that they may have come from AF.
http://www.nationnews.com/index.php/articles/view/probe-into-washed-up-aircraft-pieces/

SpringHeeledJack
7th Jan 2013, 22:44
It's wholly possible, especially if said bits were caught in a current. A few years ago a tail section of a USN jet washed up on the west coast of Ireland and it transpired that it had crashed in the sea a year before off Florida and had 'floated' under the surface due to it's internal honeycomb structure and been transported along with coconuts etc in the Gulfstream current.

SHJ

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Jan 2013, 22:56
The North Equatorial current runs pretty much direct from the crash site to Barbados.
The wreckage could easily have gone round in circles for most of the intervening time, as the currents from N & S Atlantic converge roughly where the crash site is.
Other bits may turn up on the west coast of Africa if they get caught by the Equatorial Counter-Current / Guinea Current.

mods - suggest this is moved up to rumours & news or merged with tech log AF447 thread - it looks like parts of an airliner to me.

SASless
7th Jan 2013, 23:34
it looks like parts of an airliner to me.

But which airliner?

Perhaps one might wait until it is determined what kind of aircraft the pieces are off before shoving it into the Air France thread.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Jan 2013, 23:39
Fair point,
hence the rumours & news suggestion first.
But I'll put a couple of bob on it being parts of AF447.

Just had a quick scan of the crash records. Can't see anything else which might get washed up on Barbados after 2009.

Just guesstimated the fuselage diameter from the photos in the link. Seems to be in the ballpark of 15-20 foot diameter. A330 is 18.5 feet.

RatherBeFlying
8th Jan 2013, 04:45
There were some pieces that washed up in Guyana or thereabouts that turned out to be from a space launch.

ukc_mike
8th Jan 2013, 10:46
The website hosting that report has (according the Symantec anti-virus on my system) a virus on it that tries to download by just visiting the page.

Lyman
8th Jan 2013, 14:02
Looks like maybe 447. The varying radius of the curve suggest the tail section. The two "protrusions" and bit of plumbing suggest it may have had fairings covering portions, and lost them.

We did get sidetracked with the Ariane debris...

A long while to be at sea......emotional.

Lyman
8th Jan 2013, 14:08
My rig won't download the link a second time, apples do not like worms.

Farrell
8th Jan 2013, 16:45
There is an interesting kind of Roman numeral on the bottom left in the photo.
IV or 4 for the uninitiated.

Can't remember ever seeing that on a bus.

Or maybe it is mathematical "greater / less than or equal to" sign and the word LO (if you reverse the photo)

Maybe rocket parts. Or maybe it be nautical? Arrrrrrrgh!

Farrell

G-CPTN
8th Jan 2013, 17:18
Plane wreckage washes up at Hope Beach - Stabroek News (http://www.stabroeknews.com/2009/archives/07/17/plane-wreckage-washes-up-at-hope-beach/)

Krystal n chips
9th Jan 2013, 05:54
And on the subject of aircraft bits in the sea....

Are the Los Roques islands the new Bermuda Triangle? | World news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shortcuts/2013/jan/07/los-roques-the-new-bermuda-triangle)

I do like the last paragraph however, notably the " less than erudite" comment about the sudden discovery of windshear and wave...always wondered what those saucer shaped clouds were and the way the glider went up rather quickly in their vicinity.:ugh:

Evanelpus
9th Jan 2013, 10:18
Surely, where they came from should be a piece of cake to deduce.

Has no-one ever heard of part numbers? A piece of wreckage this size must be riddled with them for the various bits and pieces attached to it, it won't take Sherlock Holmes to come up with an answer.:hmm: