PDA

View Full Version : EASA rule changes means I could lose my licence !

mbATPL
7th Jan 2013, 19:42
I need someone to shed some light on my predicament.

I have a UK ATPL which I renewed last June, after a lot of hard work picking myself up from the bottom due to having no work for sometime.

I started a business which took off well. The intention was to make the money so I could keep my licence intact and work towards doing a type rating and finding work in the Aviation Industry again.

So with a class 1 medical all sorted and my SEP renewed, I went to the CAA and my ATPL was renewed. I still had the IR to sort out, but had until June 2013 to do this, albeit with a bit of training and a test with a CAA examiner. I was prepared for this and its what I have been working towards.

Once this was done I could then, as advised, transfer my licence to an EASA ATPL.

However, apparantly that has now all changed and I stand (after all my hard work), to lose everything.

It all seems very muddled at the moment, and no one can give a straight answer. Apparantly, the CAA made changes to the rules of renewal/revalidation of the IR in September 2012 without letting me know. Whereas under Lasors I could revalidate my IR within 7 years of the date of expiry of my last one, they have changed it to 7 years from the date of my last test. Failing this I will have to do the whole Initial IR again including the exams. I have lost a year, apparantly lost my IR, and therefore cannot transfer my UK ATPL to an EASA ATPL.

If this wasnt bad enough, it also seems that even if I had a current IR, I couldnt keep my ATPL as they are insisting on 500 hours multi crew, so will lose my ATPL anyway and end up with a EASA CPL. One problem with this is , what if I find work flying air taxi single crew ? I couldnt do it under EASA rules now as you would need an ATPL, and I would be downgraded to a CPL, so couldnt take the job.

Surely under these circumstances Grandfather rights would be appropriate as I have already been issued with an ATPL.

My IR is my immediate concern though, as it is not right to suddenly change the rules without letting people know. This will cause me to lose everything. It seems from all the info I have gathered that the CAA are interpreting the rules as they want and in the process recking a lot of Pilot's chances of renewing/keeping their licences.

Advice needed urgently !!