PDA

View Full Version : Getting FAA licence based on your JAA

jayc004
7th Jan 2013, 18:02
I have been trying to get a FAA licence now for almost 6 months, and everywhere I look there is different information and people saying different things. Even the FAA themselves seem to come up with something different when I call them.
This is the situation.
-Current JAA unrestricted ATPL with Type Rating on Jet
-Submitted online forms to get a validation of my foreign licence (apparently only gives me a PPL)
-Received confirmation of verification from the FAA in the form of a letter which is valid for 6 months
-Completed the IACRA forms and documents online for the FAA.

Now what?

I sit the FAA ATP theory exam in either Paris or London, and once that is complete where do I go from there?
I have been told that I either go to the USA with the documents and they issue me with a unusable FAA ATP, but I have not done any flying or skills test.
Someone else has said that I can take the ATP theory exam results paper and go jump into a FAA approved Jet sim and conduct my ME/IR there, which would then give me the full FAA ATP ME IR A320 on my licence - (1 person saying it is a Co-Pilot rating, another saying it is a command authorisation).

Has anyone done the JAA - FAA transfer, and can tell me EXACTLY what the process is.
I am on a bit of a deadline at the moment as the verification letter expires in 4 weeks!!

Thanks guys

BigGrecian
7th Jan 2013, 18:13
The reason your getting difffernet answers is that FAR 61.75 is only really for Private pilot flying and holding a type etc complicates things which 99% of people won't have been exposed to.

Your not going to get an answer in this forum as this is primarily for students and not for experienced pilots.

They cannot give more than a private because the law does not allow them to - have a look at :
FAR Part 61 Sec. 61.75 effective as of 10/20/2009 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.75)

My interpretation is that you have to do a test for the ATP in the sim (with ATP written of course)

Honestly I suggest you call a FSDO or the FAA directly they are very helpful normally. Or contact an FAA sim operator.

B2N2
7th Jan 2013, 18:33
The validation or 'piggyback license' or 61.75 (all the same) is for recreational purposes only.
You get a PPL with an IR if you have passed the 'Foreign Pilot Instrument Written Test'. Any other ratings you have can be added also.

If you want a stand alone US certificate, and this is what it sounds like, you need to take a checkride.
What you should have read before you started is the following:

14 CFR 61.153(d)(3)

CFR › Title 14 › Chapter I › Subchapter D › Part 61 › Subpart G › Section 61.153prev | next..14 CFR 61.153 - Eligibility requirements: General.
.CFRUpdatesAuthorities (U.S. Code)Rulemakingprev | next
§ 61.153
Eligibility requirements: General.
To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must:
(a) Be at least 23 years of age;
(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft;
(c) Be of good moral character;
(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:
(1) Holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating issued under this part;
(2) Meet the military experience requirements under § 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or
(3) Holds either a foreign airline transport pilot license with instrument privileges, or a foreign commercial pilot license with an instrument rating, that—
(i) Was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation; and
(ii) Contains no geographical limitations.
(e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;
(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of § 61.155(c) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought;
(g) Pass the practical test on the areas of operation listed in § 61.157(e) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought; and
(h) Comply with the sections of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

The ATP practical test standards are here:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/pilot/media/FAA-S-8081-5F.pdf

The last pages have a matrix about what you can and cannot do in which type of simulator.
Alternatively you could fly a light twin in the USA.
Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

EchoKiloEcho
7th Jan 2013, 18:51
jayc004

I've done the the EASA / FAA conversion.

Check out this website. Look at the '3 day ATP Written & Certificate' course. Very straight forward.

ATP Flight School: Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Written & Certificate (http://www.atpflightschool.com/programs/certificates/atp/atp_and_written.html)

What is the reason for the FAA License. If you need it to fly N-reg aeroplanes privatly, book yourself a nice holiday to Florida and go to the FSDO (FAA Office) in Orlando or Fort Lauderdale & present your original verification letter & JAA ATPL license to them and they will issue you there with an FAA PPL with ME/IR based on a foreign license.

If you want the full FAA ATP it is a 3 day course if you are current.

Day 1: ATP Written test
Day 2: Mock flight test
Day 3: Oral & ATP Flight test

That will give you a FULL FAA Multi Engine Land ATP there & then. You can fly Senecas & Chieftains etc at ATP level.

If you want to fly the A320 you have to had done the A320 type rating in the last 12 months then the FSDO will issue you with a A320 SIC Privileges only type rating after presenting them with your training file & form 8710. If not, you will have to do the WHOLE A320 FAA type rating..... :ugh:

Rick777
8th Jan 2013, 04:07
It still sounds like a tiny fraction of the hassle of going the other way.

this is my username
8th Jan 2013, 06:14
...... you will have to do the WHOLE A320 FAA type rating.....:ugh:

Does that mean you have to do an entire course or just pass the oral & checkride?

Gulfstreamaviator
8th Jan 2013, 06:52
There is no level field.

To go from FAA to JAA / EASA for most people is a life changing experience.

I did my JAA to FULL FAA, by sitting the FAA IR writtens in Frankfurt on a long day stop, (long time ago) as I already had a UK CAA ATPL.
Then to Dallas and American Flyers to do the weekend ATP writtens, with a side trip to FISDO at Love Field to confirm enough night hours, and see my log book, etc, etc.
After the computer writtens on the Monday, went to Wichita to do my FAA ATP check ride, on the back of my JAA recurrent.
So easy...I now had a standalone FAA ATPL, and total cost on cost about 600$.

Now just try going the other way.

glf