PDA

View Full Version : Holy Mackerel

con-pilot
6th Jan 2013, 22:32
or tuna in this case.

A Bluefin tuna just sold for 1.76 million USD in Japan yesterday.

That would be just one fish. :ooh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Jan 2013, 22:37
Some of the best in the World are caught on the north side of my Island.We never see them. They are shipped straight off to New York or Tokyo.

We just get left with the oysters, lobsters and mussels. Tragic :hmm:

con-pilot
6th Jan 2013, 22:41
We just get left with the oysters, lobsters and mussels

Yeah, that just sucks. :p

By the way, is the island you live on in cold water, such as the NW and NE parts of the US?

I just love oysters from those type of cold water areas. In a dire emergency I'll force myself to eat oysters from waters like the Gulf of Mexico.

Sprogget
6th Jan 2013, 22:42
The Bluefin goes for up to $20 a piece in sushi & sashimi in japan. The auction on new year is about publicity as much as quality, this may well not be the best Tuna in town.

Although if we carry on plundering this poor species, it will all be academic before toolong.

Cacophonix
6th Jan 2013, 22:44
As one bumbles about in the mist around the Shetlands there appears to be precious few Mackerel in the mist at all, and only one runway.

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Jan 2013, 23:00
My local oyster is the Malpeque Oyster. The harbour is 12 km away. The waters are the Gulf of St Lawrence. The water is as warm as South Carolina in summer, but freezes for a time in winter.

Oysters aren't my thing, I'm afraid,so that's all I know.

I prefer mussels to start with surf and turf as the entree. Everything - lobster, steak, potatoes, mushrooms, onions etc - comes from less than 10 km away.

Cacophonix
6th Jan 2013, 23:10
With men and gals who sail and fly like Fox you know you might get somewhere in the mist.

Van Morrison - Into The Mystic (Original Version) - YouTube

Caco

421dog
6th Jan 2013, 23:11
Keep eating those Big Northern Salty Chewy things.

Leave all of the little bitty sweet Galveston bay ones which nobody in their right mind would want to eat to luddites like me,,

con-pilot
6th Jan 2013, 23:13
I prefer mussels to start with surf and turf as the entree. Everything - lobster, steak, potatoes, mushrooms, onions etc - comes from less than 10 km away.

I'm moving. :p

Cacophonix
6th Jan 2013, 23:24
Holy Mackerel Batman they don't have an ILS.

Trust me I haven't hit that hill for years!

;)

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Jan 2013, 23:25
It's not perfect - there aren't many good jobs, and the politicians are among the most arrogant, patronizing muppets it would ever be your misfortune to meet, but the food and the neighbours are great.

Guy crashed his car less than a mile from the village last week. Tried to walk home. -26 with the windchill and zero vis. in blowing snow. He only got 500 yards........

There again, you don't just live in Oklahoma - you live in Oklahoma!

Caco- nice tune, thanks. Heard him in concert.

Cacophonix
6th Jan 2013, 23:36
Caco- nice tune, thanks. Heard him in concert.

My favourite Canuck (after Dushan)

Diana Krall, departure bay - YouTube

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Jan 2013, 23:46
won't hijack the thread - see What One Song..? thread for a response.

WhatsaLizad?
7th Jan 2013, 00:07
Con,

With a little marketing skill, I'm confident you could "noodle" some catfish from the Red River and sell them to the Asians for $500K a piece.

Even better would be to sit on the river bank sipping a cold beer while paying a Texan to catch them for $20 a piece.

:}:}:}

Tarq57
7th Jan 2013, 00:25
The Bluefin goes for up to $20 a piece in sushi & sashimi in japan. The auction on new year is about publicity as much as quality, this may well not be the best Tuna in town.

Although if we carry on plundering this poor species, it will all be academic before too long.

Yep.
Almost certainly applies to many other species, too.
Collectively we're greedy, dumb, and self centred.

421dog
7th Jan 2013, 01:36
Nope, flathead catfish are absolutely no good at all to eat. Just ask anyone who has run commercial trotlines.

pigboat
7th Jan 2013, 01:44
Con the only lobsters they get down where Fox lives are the ones we throw back because they're too small. Gotta admit their spuds are great though. :p

500N
7th Jan 2013, 01:52
Australia will keep Blue fin Tuna market going
with the number we have here !

Fliegenmong
7th Jan 2013, 02:02
I though the whole reason the Japanese kept up the whaling fleet was to divert attention from over fishing Blue fin Tuna?

Mac the Knife
7th Jan 2013, 07:24
Yeah, the best of our Cape crayfish/"kreef" (those that aren't poached and smuggled) all go abroad.

Our native abalone ("perlemoen") are headed for extinction - poached and smuggled to the Far East.

Same goes for a lot of our best fish.

Mac

:uhoh:

Not to mention the wholesale slaughter of our rhino to cure cancer and impotence in (you guessed it right!) the Far East

:*

Tankertrashnav
7th Jan 2013, 08:55
Remember those tins of "dolphin friendly tuna" they used to sell (or still do as far as I know)? Said a lot about our attitude to animals that we were unconcerned about what happened to the tuna as long as no cuddly friendly dolphins were harmed in the process of catching it. Bizarre thinking, I always thought.

MagnusP
7th Jan 2013, 14:32
Hey, Caco, if you can't find Sumburgh in the mist, Tingwall's only a few miles away and it's closer to the Lerwick fleshpots*.

* OK, the Marlex pub (officially the Douglas Arms).

lasernigel
7th Jan 2013, 14:52
There was a massive 962lb tuna caught of Ireland in 2001, seem to remember it was already sold to Japan before the boat got back to harbour. Made him a tidy profit.

Lonewolf_50
7th Jan 2013, 15:27
I see the Bluefin Tuna heading the way of the Atlantic Cod (Grand Banks edition) pretty soon.