PDA

View Full Version : Frederick Dudley Travers

BA Concorde
6th Jan 2013, 11:42
Seeing the super posts about Captain "Opie" Jones, took my mind back a few decades.
During my young days with BOAC I remember seeing a number of these "Gods" of early pioneer flying, several wearing a row or two of medal ribbons. A small number of them had served during WW1, but most had served during WW2 as civilian pilots with BOAC. What adventures they must have had.
Being interested in the stories of these pioneers, especially the flying boat “kings”, a friend put me in touch with Dudley's widow, who was living in Kenya, where they had retired to live near Dudley’s old flying-boat staging post on Lake Naivasha. We corresponded for a couple of years or so until she sadly passed away. She was going to send me some photos of Dudley from the "old days" but unfortunately never actually got around to it.
I have been accumulating information about Dudley's career ever since, some of it from BOAC's own internal magazines. (I also have a very large amount of info about his WW1 career - he was an "Ace" with a DFC!) However it is his pioneering days that interest me most. (His flying log-books are in the RAF museum)
The posts about "Opie" Jones made me wonder if anyone has any interesting photos of "Online" Travers, other than those posted on the internet, that they would be happy to share?
Allan