PDA

View Full Version : Trash/rubbish/garbage Compactors

ExXB
6th Jan 2013, 07:46
The Canton of Vaud has, following much of the rest of CH, has implemented 'pay as you throw' household waste policy. We now pay a tax of CHF1 for a 17L sac; CHF2 for 35l; CHF3.8 for 60L and CHF6 for a 110L. On top we pay an annual fee of CHF90 per adult.

Until recently we usually filled half of a 110l sac each week.

Wondering if there are compactors, manual or electric, that others in Switzerland, or elsewhere, use to reduce the volume of their rubbish. I'd like to use the smallest bag possible. If electric it would need to be 220v/50hz.

Any solutions or suggestions welcome!

P.S. Geneva will be next ...

Lon More
6th Jan 2013, 07:57
We had that system for years. They would only take bags with the Council logo stamped on them.you can buy can crushers, mine came from the garage, flatten paper milk cartons, press plastic bottles flat and put the tops back on so they don't reinflate in the bin.
Most of this stuff should be recycled anyway.
We now have wheely bins, pay 18 eurocents per kilo, weighed on the truck, and free recycling collections

ExXB
6th Jan 2013, 08:46
Already recycle (crushed) aluminium cans, tins, glass, paper, carton, etc. my Q in regard to the restofit, that stuff that isn't recyclable. There are no landfills here, it goes to the incinerators and generates electricity.

Victor Inox
6th Jan 2013, 10:03
We use the GE 1.4 cu.ft. model, two of which we imported from the US. Needed a bit of DIY to get it to flush fit into a UK kitchen and a Swiss kitchen (and a transformer, of course). You can get a 4:1 reduction ratio.

We also use 'Waste King' sink disposal units to chop down cuttings from vegetables etc. and get them disposed through the waste pipe.

AlpineSkier
6th Jan 2013, 12:35
Lon

How often do they send you a bill/debit your account ? Charge seems high to me.

glad rag
6th Jan 2013, 12:43
More to the point, do you think that it is right that a lifestyle should be forced upon you, however subtly?

ExXB
6th Jan 2013, 13:05
In our village rubbish removal was the largest expense after schooling. That amount will be removed from our taxes. I see each user paying for their own waste, which will be to my benefit.

I don't mind paying for the schools, although we don't have Children, but I do object to paying for their nappie disposal.

G-CPTN
6th Jan 2013, 13:10
What about using vacuum to 'pack' your (compacted) garbage into sealed sacks that you can slip into the official bags? A standard domestic vacuum-cleaner (with a hose attachment) will evacuate effectively.

It might cost more for sturdy sacks than you save, although you can buy rubblesacks that are thick (or find a source of animal feed sacks - even used ones could be utilised).

G-CPTN
6th Jan 2013, 13:39
In the absence of an (expensive?) powered compactor, simply stand on every discarded item (maybe within a sturdy container with a solid 'lid').

Better than nothing . . .

You could build your own lever-operated compactor based on the design used to compact paper into bricks for burning:-

PVGUui9XdgI

or use a carjack:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVrKEgKckbU

mike-wsm
6th Jan 2013, 14:03
Our local restaurant uses an Eric compactor. He leaps into the skip and jumps up and down on the rubbish.

Hat, coat, trainers....

Lon More
6th Jan 2013, 14:18
How often do they send you a bill/debit your account ? Charge seems high to me.
every 6 months. Usuallyabout 20. Recycled material goes free. It's probably cheaper than it used to be paying for the sacks with everything in them.
Sink waste disposers are banned here according to the local plumber.I had one in the old kitchen but didn't bother in the new one.

G-CPTN
6th Jan 2013, 14:34
http://autonopedia.org/crafts_and_technology/Food_Technology/Pressure_Extraction_of_Vegetable_Oils_files/UPE1X3.GIF

Victor Inox
6th Jan 2013, 14:40
ExXB:

Keep in mind that when using a compactor, your trash volume is reduced by a factor of approx. 4 and the weight of your bin bags will go up accordingly. Make sure they don't rip, particularly if you need to use council-specific bags (as opposed to stickers, which you can place on any bag).

mike-wsm
6th Jan 2013, 17:21
The clever route is to open boxes and tins at both ends, no compactor required.

angels
6th Jan 2013, 17:35
When I was a youth one of my Saturday jobs involved shoving cardboard boxes into a compactor. If boxes got stuck at the top we used to climb up and force them in.

Of course one day I jumped on one and in I went. Luckily the crusher was on the way back and not forward and I got out by the skin of my teeth.

Funnily enough it didn't worry me at all at the time, but I (proverbially) shit myself when I think about it now! :eek:

I suppose this is off topic, but there we go!

Victor Inox
6th Jan 2013, 17:39
The clever route is to open boxes and tins at both ends

In the area ExXB and I (at least during part of the year) live, we have progressed to recycling cardboard, paper and metal tins, along with glass and aluminium. I think the thread is about compacting trash that does not qualify for recycling.

ExXB
6th Jan 2013, 19:25
This measure, like most taxation matters, was passed by popular vote. (Not including me, but I would have voted for it if I could - it was tied to the removal of communal taxes related to trash collection)

G-CPTN
6th Jan 2013, 20:51
Other ideas for compressing materials would be a mangle or a heavy garden roller.

Suitable protection for the plastic bags (such as pieces of carpet) might be necessary.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jan 2013, 22:26
presumably most of it could be burnt?

421dog
6th Jan 2013, 22:40
Dear God, the Carbon, man, THE CARBON!!!!

gingernut
7th Jan 2013, 23:52
4, 3foot pallets stood on end, nailed together, stand on some soil, a bucket full of horse sh.t, and feed it plenty of "greens" (anything from vegetable scrapings to cut grass) and "browns" (most paper and cardboard boxes).

Be patient and let the worm's do the rest:)

Havw fantastic compost by July. Get three of the boogers on the go, and you'll reduce your waste volume by at least half.