PDA

View Full Version : Grandson's Kindle Fire HD keyboard error.

Loose rivets
5th Jan 2013, 17:41
When he types, some, and only some, letters are misplaced to one side.

I assume a software glitch, but I suppose a chip might be faulty. He seems to be able to play games okay.

Can these things be corrected by downloads?

Mike-Bracknell
6th Jan 2013, 17:30
When you say some keys are across one side, I assume a touchscreen keyboard? and hence is there a calibration of the screen that can be performed such that touch position equals x,y coordinates on the screen?

(just guessing at this one, I have a Kindle Paperwhite and no such troubles)

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2013, 20:50
Ooo...just goes to show how careful one has to be with tech descriptions.

I meant some keys type the next letter on the keyboard. ic H becomes J etc.

Take your point about a total screen re-referencing, but most times it's okay, and I'd assume such a miss-setup would show up in games, which it doesn't.

Truly an odd fault. Do these machines get viruses?

:suspect:.

BOAC
6th Jan 2013, 20:55
Without wishing to 'insult' your genes, could it just be slightly inaccurate podgy fingers?

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jan 2013, 20:57
I think Mikes right. It sounds like the screen is not calibrated properly. Just go through the calibration setup again

By talking about viruses I really think you're overanalysing the problem

green granite
6th Jan 2013, 21:09
What does he use to clean the screen with? I wiped my Sony reader with an impregnated reading glasses cleaning micro cloth and it caused all sort of problems, had to use a damp cloth with some washing up liquid solution on it to clean the screen before I could use it properly afterwards.

Loose rivets
7th Jan 2013, 05:05
That's astonishing. One will tell him to clean the screen appropriately and see what happens.

Fingers? No, he has mutated into a being with ten tiny fingers on the tips of each normal finger. He can type while playing a piano recital and picking his nose. (I try to discourage the former, cos of the noise.)

Screen calibration? One will advise his father of this possibility. He is a man of outstanding intellect who stares at screens for most of his working life. I'm not sure he will respond mind you, but then, that's the nature of technology in this modern world.

Mike-Bracknell
7th Jan 2013, 10:30
Looks like it's a common problem with some possible solutions:

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Kindle fire touch screen (http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx2C6YWZ2IDAGBW)

Loose rivets
7th Jan 2013, 18:00
Thanks, Mike. Duly forwarded to the nipper's dad.