PDA

View Full Version : YMMB - Public Phone Box near 17L

peterc005
5th Jan 2013, 08:54
I'm sure there's an obvious explanation for this, but is escapes me.

Today I was at YMMB taxiing along Golf for 17L, departing for fish and chips at Tooraddin.

On the northern side of the airport, about halfway between the taxiway and Centre Dandenong Rd there is a public phone box sitting behind some kind of fence. Also the ground around the phone box has been leveled as if some construction is taking place.

Any one know what it's for?

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/64906_10151633725156978_103363322_n.jpg

peterc005
5th Jan 2013, 08:56
My youngest daughter is a Dr Who fan and insists it's a Tardis.

my oleo is extended
5th Jan 2013, 09:06
Maybe it belongs to Maxwell Smart?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3kcnI72Ec

peterc005
5th Jan 2013, 09:19
Maybe CASA are returning to YMMB and are having a problem finding office space after Oxford took over?

At least they'd be able to monitor the traffic closely.

VH-XXX
5th Jan 2013, 12:29
Some kind of emergency phone perhaps? Is it near the ma gate that the fire brigade would use?

peterc005
5th Jan 2013, 12:48
Maybe it's used to measure aircraft noise levels?

Everyone of the airport would have a mobile phone, I can't see the need for a public phone box.

crwkunt roll
5th Jan 2013, 14:05
Melbourne's most expensive fish and chips!

peterc005
5th Jan 2013, 14:33
Wings and Fins restaurant at Tooraddin airport has a really good $17 pilot's special. Fish & chips and drink .

Great way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Enjoy it more when I don't think about the $50 for Avgas to get there.

Old Akro
5th Jan 2013, 21:06
Its been there for years. It probably pre-dates mobiles being common. Its adjacent to the emergency entrance off Centre Dandenong Rd. Its probably built on the old East West grass runway which was removed somewhere in the early - mid nineties I think. I suspect it was installed then. No idea what is for. I would guess its a direct line to the tower at an emergency muster point. I forget when fire services were removed from Moorabbin. It might have even gone in then.

Stikybeke
5th Jan 2013, 21:35
I've seen one of these before.....it's not a phone box....that's a ticket booth for a ferris wheel!

Stiky
:)

VH-XXX
5th Jan 2013, 21:45
At a guess Akro is probably onto it which is what I was suggesting. The fire brigade would smash through the gate nearby and then use the phone to contact the tower to find out what to do. I can't see the fire brigade having the same radio frequencies as the tower so it makes sense. Some police vehicles have aviation VHF but not all. I know the water police do though. In an ideal world they would all work together.....

peterc005
5th Jan 2013, 22:38
Never noticed it before and must have been down that taxiway hundreds of times.

You'd think these days the fire brigade would call the tower with a mobile phone while on the way.

Good answer, but not an interesting one. I was hoping for a Tardis.

Checkboard
5th Jan 2013, 23:10
I forget when fire services were removed from Moorabbin. It might have even gone in then.
Fire services were removed in 1990.

Jabawocky
5th Jan 2013, 23:53
I've seen one of these before.....it's not a phone box....that's a ticket booth for a ferris wheel!

Stiky

Wrong airfield Sticky :E:E

Ascend Charlie
6th Jan 2013, 01:04
It's for Clark Kent to use when he gets to that stage of his pre-takeoff checklist at the holding point and needs to get into his Superman outfit.

Though it beats me why he would bother ducking into the broom closet at the Daily Planet to get changed - he could do it so fast anywhere that nobody would see it.:8

VH-XXX
6th Jan 2013, 03:13
the Daily Planet

Doubt you'll find a broom closet there. The Daily Planet is a brothel in Melbourne ;)

Avgas172
6th Jan 2013, 03:35
Clearly a slow day in YMMB .....:hmm:

Ascend Charlie
6th Jan 2013, 06:56
The Daily Planet is a brothel in Melbourne

And why would that mean he wouldn't need to get changed?

Worrals in the wilds
6th Jan 2013, 07:24
You'd think these days the fire brigade would call the tower with a mobile phone while on the way.
Mobile networks can't be relied upon in an emergency because the network jams up :8.
It does look pretty old; my guess would be that Akro's suggestion is the most likely. Maybe ask the airport guys?

Dushan
6th Jan 2013, 12:54
It's not a phone booth at all. It houses the control panel for the conveyor belt.

Temp Spike
6th Jan 2013, 13:22
Not a phone box. It's a seismic relay station recording hard landings for the CAA.

Quizling
6th Jan 2013, 13:26
...........and chemtrail emissions monitoring......................

Krystal n chips
6th Jan 2013, 13:29
It's probably the late ( on here that is ) Jerricho's personal toilet...he always had a fixation about such and the UK version I recall...:D:E

DX Wombat
6th Jan 2013, 18:52
It's a Ley Line detector stolen from somewhere in Wiltshire.

clark y
6th Jan 2013, 23:40
It's probably heritage listed as a rare example of telecommunications in the last century. Therefore it can't be moved.
Even if it is useable for emergency services, would they have the 20c required to call the tower? I doubt it has a credit card swipe.

mixture
7th Jan 2013, 09:35
Mobile networks can't be relied upon in an emergency because the network jams up

Only jams up for the great unwashed. Employees of the emergency services get priority as their handsets are ID'd by the SIM card ID.

OFSO
7th Jan 2013, 09:46
Have Bill and Ted been seen nearby ? Looks awsomely bogus to me.

cattletruck
7th Jan 2013, 11:40
When I used to train at YMMB I used to dread hearing the tower say over the frequency to some unfortunate student who had done something *very* wrong "please phone the tower". Fortunately, I never copped one but after seeing that pic and having never noticed this phone booth it's made me chuckle.

Noah Zark.
7th Jan 2013, 12:02
Are you sure it's not a dunny, or a "Turdis", as you might say? :)