PDA

View Full Version : Token Bird in Oz!!!

Token Bird
17th Apr 2001, 15:12
Dear All,

I am thinking of fleeing our horrid cloudy, windy country and settling in lovely, sunny Australia for 2-3 years, the idea being to get an Australian ATPL or CPL and hang around in the country working afterwards, then maybe I'll come back to miserable England with a couple of thousand hours and have a much better chance of getting a job.

I have found the relevant immigration websites, but I was wondering if anyone out there has first hand experience, ie, has actually done this or knows someone who has. What is the deal for getting temporary residence/visas etc?

TB

funkster
17th Apr 2001, 19:23
Great idea TB, something I've always thought of doing myself!

Check out these sites:

http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/04dept.htm
http://www.parishpatience.com.au/immigration/brochure.htm

Have you considered what it would cost to convert a licence to enable you to fly in this country??

If so email me with your findings or just email me anyway, I'm bored!!?

;) ;) ;)

[This message has been edited by funkster (edited 17 April 2001).]

schooner
17th Apr 2001, 19:42
Bloody good idea.
There are various ways of staying over there. You can stay a year with a working visa but can only work for one company for upto 3 months although the rules can be bent depending on how scrupulous your employer is !! If you want to stay longer the try applying for a studying type visa ( I guess you have to enroll on a course to get this....does an ATPL count ? )which will give you another year at least. The visas can sometimes be extended aswell. Alternatively once you have your ATPL and want to work you can get 'sponsored' by your employer ( instructing I suppose ) and that will enable you to stay out there for a while longer.
To get a working holiday visa you need £2000 in the bank then go to Australia House with your passport and proof of your money and you can get it there.
Good time to go `cos the exchange rate is fantastic ;).

Hope this helps.....please somebody correct me where I`m just spouting cr@p.

Cheers

left outer, right inner
17th Apr 2001, 19:53
I guess then that....

Sorry to hear that Token, but it sounds very much like you are determined in your quest. The very best of luck to you in the future.

Will you give it another go?

All the best, LORI :)

Charlie Foxtrot India
17th Apr 2001, 20:07
TB I migrated out here back in 93. Suggest you come over on a working holiday visa, which gives you more freedom than a student visa, then go back and apply for residency; but you will need to be patient. It took me seven years from initial application, including the knock backs, to get that residency visa in my passport. The trick is, don't give up!

Token Bird
18th Apr 2001, 16:19
Putting this back at the top of the pile.

Also, the visa which seems the most likely for me is an 'Occupational Trainee' visa, which would allow me to stay for up to 4 years if I can get one.

Does anyone have any experience of this visa?

TB

str12
18th Apr 2001, 19:26
You need to be under 30 to get a working holiday type visa.

I'm going over that way in June for 6 months and will look for an IT contract after seeing the sights but as I'm over 30 I need to get a sponsored visa. I'm told this shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Good luck!

ROTATION
18th Apr 2001, 20:15
Nice idea, but from a financial point of view, I think converting an Oz to a JAA ATPL involves retaking practically all the ATPL's, skills tests, etc = £££££.
Where as vice versa only involves an IR skills test and air law exam.
Why not get a JAA ATPL an BAE Adelaide instead of an Ozzy one. Just an idea.

Token Bird
19th Apr 2001, 12:37
Yes it would cost many thousands of pounds to convert, however, I think if I built up a certain number of hours (I've heard 1000 TT, 500 multi) I would be exempted from much of the conversion. This is the plan anyway,

TB

tubby one
19th Apr 2001, 15:05
Rotation i am sure they will be thankful for the plug - but BAE Adelaide no longers provides JAA training. It all stopped in late Jan this year. However, you are very correct it would be far more economical to get the JAA licence and convert to an Oz licence than vice versa.

kopbhoy2
19th Apr 2001, 16:12
I'm thinking of doing something similar, not so much to get a licence as to be able to say that I actually went over & saw the place.

I know plenty of people who've been over, apparently the work situation over there is a little uncertain at present (I've heard of several IT people who can't get jobs in that field).

It might be an idea to ask on the Dununda forum about the current economic situation, places to go to, places to avoid etc....

Sheep Guts
20th Apr 2001, 04:18
TB doing the OZ-JAR conversion will cost you heaps, as you have allready discovered. Even if you get your 1000tt and 500multi as you say, theres NO advantage http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif. I know Aussie guys in the U.K. that have 3-4000 total with 2000turbine they still have to do the whole lock stock and barrel. I think the only exemptions you can get are if you have wide-bodied jet time, and thats for a Command Jobs only I think.
I am in different situation( I can legeally work in the Old Country), but cant justify the cash, would rather spend it on a good type rating if I knew I had a job at the end of it.
May I suggest a possible option.If you go to Oz for say six to twelve months do your OZ Cpl, pick up a single job out in the sticks( to get a bit of time up), then go back to the Old Country and convert it. Less expensive, do your frozen ATP exams in the UK,Check out the local scene, if nothing happens, come back to Aus and the beaches :). Once you have enough time, do your Aussie ATPL Foriegn Licence Conversion exam, will set you back about 500 Aussie Dollars including theory.
I have probably abreviated this and made it sound easy. The Aussie ATPL and Conversion Exam is definetly cheaper, and easier than the current JAR but it STILL isnt a walk in the park! :)

Only a suggestion, I hope this helps. :)
Good Luck Mate.
regards
Sheep

------------------
Props are for boats!Unless its a Kingair.

[This message has been edited by Sheep Guts (edited 20 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sheep Guts (edited 20 April 2001).]

knighty
20th Apr 2001, 06:08
Nice one Token Bird...
Just emigrated out here to Ozzy land with the exact same intentions! It took me 18 months, from start to finish, but I now have a 5 year residency visa. Depending on your situation, you could get a years working visa and extend it.
To gain your Aussie CPL-MECIR it will cost around $35,000 and will take between 32 and 52 weeks full time. I'm just about to start my training at one of the smaller, more friendly schools and can't chuffin wait!! Lots more opportunity for work in GA out here too, build those hours gaining both experience and confidence.
True, if you want to convert to JAA, it can be costly but not as much as training in the UK, by far!
If you need any info about Visas, flying schools, conversions then use the 'search' facility and check out some of the previous threads on pprune. Or, email me and I'll try and help best I can.
Good Luck....

Help me OB1...your my only hope.