PDA

View Full Version : A320 Reversed video picture

t1grm
5th Jan 2013, 00:46
Now this is odd. Flying on an A320 the other day I noticed the overhead passenger info video panel was displaying a perfectly reversed picture. I didn't notice until during the safety video when the EXIT sign above the emergency exit door was displayed as TIXE except with the characters reversed. A bit like seeing ECILOP or ERIF in your car rear view mirror! When I looked at the video panel on the other side of the plane I then saw every thing was reversed. e.g. a passenger moving a bag from left to right on my side was moving the bag from right to left on the other side! It was all very disorienting but quite amusing at the same time. What could have caused this? Can switching the wiring on a flat screen reverse the picture? Or are the flat panels double sided so it is possible to put them in back to front? It all seems highly odd to me. Of course I was rational enough to realise this wouldn't affect the safety of the plane and they would never make a similar mistake on a critical system... wasn't I? ;)

giggitygiggity
5th Jan 2013, 01:35
I don't know anything about the video system on the A320 but I do know quite a bit about digital AV. It is almost certainly a software glitch that has mirrored the image and very unlikely to be any wiring. The same sort of thing can happen in windows or any other display system if it gets a bit confused. Most advanced software video players have a mirroring function for various reasons, whilst it is unlikely that this was selected on purpose (if the A320 has that function), it is a posibility. More likely just a glitch, I wouldn't be surprised if the AV system on board runs on a simplified version of Windows. I think and hope that the cockpit displays use a slightly more robust operating system!

dixi188
5th Jan 2013, 16:19
Some years ago we were doing our annual CRM classroom refresher course.

The Instructor (facilitator) set up the projector with his laptop for his Powerpoint presentation and the projected image was reversed.

He spent quite a while playing with settings on the computer and then several of the techy guys in the class had a go, but to no avail.

Eventually he went to the receptionist to see if another projector was available.

She came into the classroom and used the little switch on the back of the projector to change from back projection to front.

A good laugh was had and we did our CRM course.

Nothing to do with A320 though.

piggybank
7th Jan 2013, 18:44
The reversed video happens on almost every trip on the flight I take Port Moresby-Brisbane-Port Moresby. Its the only flight I see it on though.

t1grm
7th Jan 2013, 21:59
I forgot about the software possibility. I have that on my projector. That must be it. It's only on one screen though so probably a glitch rather than a mistaken setting. :)

subsonic69
23rd Jan 2013, 13:27
maybe the video is copyrighted.. most people who uses other persons video on youtube mirrors the video avoiding copyright issues. its a loophole thing I guess..