PDA

View Full Version : PPruNe Knife Advert

Kiltrash
4th Jan 2013, 19:01
Is it only on my lap top but when I log into PPruNe on the right hand side there is a advert for combat knives!!

Obviously not going to add a link and I have not ever searched knives!

Usual adverts are for Aviation topics

Rather inappropriate? or have I been hacked!

con-pilot
4th Jan 2013, 19:03
Rather inappropriate?

Whatever on Earth for?

No, in answer to your question.

Lonewolf_50
4th Jan 2013, 19:14
Some of the posters here are former military pilots, and thus some had knives in the survival kit. Maybe the knives and the knife ads are telepathic! :E

OFSO
4th Jan 2013, 19:30
It works like this:-

- you go to google or amazin looking for information in the first case or a product in the second. Those sites log your visit and what you are interested in.

- the next time you log onto PPRuNe (or a lot of any other sites) some nifty piece of software which knows your real identity checks which other sites you have visited recently (from a fairly long list)

- and puts adverts for those same products on the screen.

I didn't believe it until a week or so ago when I was looking for something fairly unusual on amazin, and two hours later I logged onto this site and an advert for the same product appeared on the jet blast screen.

Driving me ever further towards getting a VPN set up.

tony draper
4th Jan 2013, 19:30
Some of the posters here are noted grub hounds so if said knife was accompanied by a fork twould be more appropriate.:rolleyes:

con-pilot
4th Jan 2013, 19:55
Some of the posters here are noted grub hounds so if said knife was accompanied by a fork twould be more appropriate

Can't argue with that. :p

By the way, love thread drift, I just got my report back from my last visit to my doctor. My body mass index is 25.

Not bad for an old fart that loves the occasional cocktail (Scotch) and food. :ok:

Yeah I'm bragging. Now where is that thread about being in love with yourself, I may answer the questions different now. :E

Takan Inchovit
4th Jan 2013, 20:03
Its usually something to do with the username. You should see the adverts I get. :E

500N
4th Jan 2013, 20:04
As OFSO said.

For some reason, in the last few months, this forum is one of the
worst for adverts (using data from searches made).

I now get heaps of adverts for quads, guns, hunting gear, books etc,
all of which I have searched on.

Kiltrash

"Rather inappropriate?"

Why ?

What is so inappropriate about knives or are you
just one of the PC / 5th Column brigade ?

Victor Inox
4th Jan 2013, 20:05
A knife always will come in handy for any aviator if his parachute gets caught up in a tree :ok:

Craggenmore
4th Jan 2013, 20:08
It works like this:-

- you go to google or amazin looking for information in the first case or a product in the second. Those sites log your visit and what you are interested in.

So where are the bikini models then..?

con-pilot
4th Jan 2013, 20:14
One wonders just what adverts pop up when Slasher logs on. :E

Speaking of that, when is Slasher going to be allowed to come back, I only left so much Scotch the last time I was in the oubliette. :p

Hydromet
4th Jan 2013, 20:19
So where are the bikini models then..?On the right hand side of my screen.:cool:
Except that they aren't all wearing bikinis.:eek:

1DC
4th Jan 2013, 20:47
I made an entry on the diamond thread so i get diamond adverts all the time.

Dushan
4th Jan 2013, 21:03
The engine that a places advertisements on the page also scans the page you are viewing for keywords. On the conveyor belt thread i kept getting ads for industrial conveyor belt installations in my area. They din't have one near the airport, though.

Dushan
4th Jan 2013, 21:06
I am 26.6, working on a 25 in 3 weeks time when I go for my physical...

Lon More
4th Jan 2013, 21:08
The ads I get are either offering 74 ratings or "Bond lifestyle" neither of which relates to my browsing history..

mike-wsm
4th Jan 2013, 21:29
I never get any adverts for anything at all. :{

tony draper
4th Jan 2013, 21:35
I'm still being haunted by adds for wall brackets "fixing flat screen tellys to the wall for the use of ",must be six months since I did a internet search for kit like that.
:uhoh:

Sunnyjohn
4th Jan 2013, 21:36
Use an ad-blocker - there's several out there. I use one that works on Safari. Instead of adverts I get pictures of pussy cats (the furry ones, that is).Much better.

G-CPTN
4th Jan 2013, 22:52
I don't get adverts (or any pussy-cats) - Adblock Plus — for annoyance-free web surfing (http://adblockplus.org/en/)

probes
5th Jan 2013, 07:07
Ad blocker? And spoil all the fun?
I had one for evening dresses last week - must be a hint about my regular jeans, I guess. I could surprise people at work, though, if the dress had a pocket for the keys that would get lost otherwise. :E

where are the bikini models then..?
be reasonable. That's against the rules. :E

B Fraser
5th Jan 2013, 08:04
A knife always will come in handy for any aviator if his parachute gets caught up in a tree :ok:

I have a whistle, bridle knife and a roll of dental floss in my kit. The dental floss gives you something to do while you are waiting to be rescued. When help arrives, you can tie it to the knife to give it a bit of weight so you can lower it down without it becoming snagged. Your pals can then tie a rope to it which you then pull up. The rope then provides your means of returning to terra firma.

There were a few sniggers amongst my mates at first then everyone kept a pack in their emergency kit. :ok:

Lon More
5th Jan 2013, 08:42
There were a few sniggers amongst my mates at first then everyone kept a pack in their emergency kit

Next to the emergency pack of unlubricated condoms?

black_shuck
5th Jan 2013, 11:22
Seems like the perfect site to advetise a Ppruning knife

Loose rivets
5th Jan 2013, 15:05
Nearly all my e-mail spam is for willy enlargement. :(

SilsoeSid
5th Jan 2013, 15:28
Algorithms based on your previous browsing.
The Filter Bubble (http://www.thefilterbubble.com/the-future-of-personalization-is-here)

Basically, personalised web pages using adbots to lead you onto sites based on what you are likely to buy from where you or anyone using your computer have browsed before.

If you arevworried about what the Internet knows about you and your Internet activity, stay away from the book :eek:

The Filter Bubble: What The Internet Is Hiding From You: Amazon.co.uk: Eli Pariser: Books
Imagine a world where all the news you see is defined by your salary, where you live, and who your friends are. Imagine a world where you never discover new ideas. And where you can't have secrets.

Welcome to 2011.

Google and Facebook are already feeding you what they think you want to see. Advertisers are following your every click. Your computer monitor is becoming a one-way mirror, reflecting your interests and reinforcing your prejudices.

The internet is no longer a free, independent space. It is commercially controlled and ever more personalised. The Filter Bubble reveals how this hidden web is starting to control our lives - and shows what we can do about it.

Ancient Observer
5th Jan 2013, 16:27
I have to say that the adblock thingie is brilliant. I get no ads on here at all. I've also set the firefox whatnot to delete all the nasty little bugs that google et al put on my machine each time i turn off firefox.

OFSO
5th Jan 2013, 19:53
My body mass index is 25.

Is this the number of times you attend a Catholic service per week, Con ? Must be wearing the old knees out....

gingernut
5th Jan 2013, 20:17
wot am I going to do with a lazer pen ?

obgraham
5th Jan 2013, 20:28
I think what's bothering the OP, Kiltrash, is that these ads for knives are appearing. And in UK he's not allowed to have one. Worse than guns.

However, willy enlarging is likely very popular!

con-pilot
5th Jan 2013, 20:55
Is this the number of times you attend a Catholic service per week, Con ?

Nope, more like the number of Scotches I've had per week. :p

green granite
5th Jan 2013, 20:56
It should be possible to have a thread where we could experiment with key words to see what ads we could draw. :E:E

gingernut
5th Jan 2013, 21:40
And in UK he's not allowed to have one

Is that strictly true? I carry a big 12 incher on me when I go camping. Nothing worse than ripped jerk chicken.

And my pocket knife is invaluable when I'm going about my lawful business selling me'plants.

Temp Spike
6th Jan 2013, 04:14
Well as long as they’re not adds for Box-cutters, I suppose it’s barely within ethical boundaries.

probes
6th Jan 2013, 07:24
It should be possible to have a thread where we could experiment with key words to see what ads we could draw. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
good idea, gg. :E

I got this when reading 'hot food' :D

Ads by Google
New Hottest Chile Pepper
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion peppers

Dried Trinidad Scorpion available!

Bhut-Jolokia.net

Lon More
6th Jan 2013, 07:59
I've got adblocker on IE but am still getting ads.