PDA

View Full Version : MCC Course

Yahweh
4th Jan 2013, 10:40
Getting to the stage where I have to decide where to do the MCC course. I've done some research and it's between Simtech and Pathfinders. Have found some info on the site about simtech which suggests they're pretty decent but cant find any current info on pathfinders, the newest being 2010.

Was just wondering if anyone did their MCC/JOC course with pathfinders recently and if so how would you rate it?

Mr Boombastick
4th Jan 2013, 11:46
Simtech are top notch...

Give Linda a bell

4redsyourdead
4th Jan 2013, 12:16
I'm sure you have read my previous post regarding them.

Cannot fault them at all and have told many friends to go and all have be more than satisfied with their product :)

appfo09
4th Jan 2013, 17:57
CRM Aviation Europe is another perfect choice. Highly recommended by many !

UAV689
4th Jan 2013, 18:15
European for me! :ok:

Great school

Yahweh
4th Jan 2013, 20:27
Yes saw those posts 4reds, seems simtech are the way to go so, little pricy but I guess you get what you pay for. This for the advice.

mackey
5th Jan 2013, 07:08
I did my MCC with BCFT/European on the now broken L1011, it was great fun learned loads.

If you are in the south then I can highly recommend them.

6th Jan 2013, 17:15
How much does the Simtech MCC cost?

What does the extra cost give you over and above a cheaper MCC?

ford cortina
7th Jan 2013, 04:43
Truthfully, a more expensive MCC is just the same as a cheaper MCC..
A MCC is designed to give you a participation of working in a team and stress the importance of team work to getting the job done.

It is designed to give you a introduction to Airline operations and will use Generic SOP's.

It is not intended to be a Jet Orientation Course (what ever that is! Oh I know, it's another excuse to deprive you of money), there is no pass mark, no test.

You do not need to do it in a full motion simulator, although it is nice when you are at that stage of your career.

You will only get out what you put in, a more expensive MCC will not get you a job by itself, the hours in the Simulator don't count either.

You pays your money and you takes your pick

pudoc
9th Jan 2013, 22:57
As the above poster says, a lot of people cream in their pants at the thought of doing an MCC in a full motion simulator in 737 or A320. Why? I think it's partially so they can log the flight time but also because they think if they get an interview and the sim ride is in a 737 or A320 they feel it gives them the edge.

Whilst their entitled to their opinion I believe the opposite. It's all done on autopilot, your sim ride isn't. MCC is about working with your crew, it has nothing to do with learning how to fly.

Plus, if you get to a sim ride in a 737 and you did your MCC in a Citation, the employers will see this and probably be a little more forgiving in your mistakes as your unfamiliar with type.

I know this doesn't answer OPs question, but it's some food for thought.

Darth_Bovine
10th Jan 2013, 08:03
Whilst their entitled to their opinion I believe the opposite. It's all done on autopilot, your sim ride isn't. MCC is about working with your crew, it has nothing to do with learning how to fly.

Most of my MCC (in a fixed base "737 type" at Simtech) was done with autopilot off. The only times I had the autopilot engaged was during the en-route phase of the LOFT and a few times to demonstrate capturing the ILS.

You're right, doesn't really matter what you do it on as it's just the MCC part that matters. However, I'd say that if you want to fly jets then it would help to complete your MCC on a jet type. I found the course filled in a lot of blanks about how jets operate. I'm hoping this extra information will help in future interviews.

To the OP: I can only recommend Simtech as that's were I did mine and have no experience of other places. I was very happy with all aspects of the course. 28 hours of jet operations in a very nice sim.

faba66
12th Jan 2013, 10:53
My son had a grat expeirence and the training was amazing... good luck

2 Whites 2 Reds
14th Jan 2013, 08:13
Without a doubt European at Bournemouth. I did mine with them and ended up working there. Fantastic people and a very well constructed course taught by experienced and pragmatic instructors.

They've recently changed over to using their 747-400 sim for MCC & JOC courses. Very reasonably priced as well.

ford cortina
14th Jan 2013, 08:37
Darth Bovine Most of my MCC (in a fixed base "737 type" at Simtech) was done with autopilot off. The only times I had the autopilot engaged was during the en-route phase of the LOFT and a few times to demonstrate capturing the ILS.

That's the rub. A MCC is about working together as a team, not handling a jet aircraft. With autopilot off, you will spend most of the time trying to fly the dammed thing.

Still those of us in the industry know nothing.

Darth_Bovine
15th Jan 2013, 07:35
Hi Ford C,

I have no idea of your industry knowledge, I can only speak of my own experience.

Talking from my own experience: during the MCC when the autopilot was engaged the pilot-flying did all changes to speed and heading bugs so there was less MCC than when hand flying. When hand flying the pilot-monitoring made the changes to heading and speed bugs. This may not be the way you fly (or the rest of the industry) but that was my experience during the MCC.

ford cortina
20th Jan 2013, 18:59
Darth,
Several years on a 737, NG and Classic.
We almost never fly by hand, except a few thousand feet during take off and landing.
Even in the Sim.

A good MCC will give you LOFT exercises with failures so you can go though the decision process.