PDA

View Full Version : PPL Confuser - word of warning

trustno1
17th Apr 2001, 14:23
Dont rely on the PPL confuser for the navigation test. I did mine yesterday and the route I was given to plan was different from the 4 examples given in the confuser. So if you rote learn the answers you'll definitely come a cropper. As always know you CRP1 well and be confident using it. There were the usual questions regarding fuel weight and fuel load. VRP's, and height from objects on the ground. One thing the confuser does not cover are questions relating to Radio Navigation. There were 5 questions on the paper which I had to attempt using guess work. Luckily for me the guesses paid off.

carbheat
17th Apr 2001, 14:35
Why try to get away with as little work as possible by learning the bare minimum?
Even if you do not value your own safety,I sincerely hope you take mine and everyone elses in to account when you take off with as little knowledge as you can get away with!

Rusty Cessna
17th Apr 2001, 15:16
I don't think many people buy the confuser because they think the examples given are going to be the only ones in the exam, I think they buy it to give them an idea.

It certainly gave me a good idea and enabled me to attain the high pass I did. It far beats the AFE PPL Q&A book, simply because all answers are right in the confuser, many of the ones in the AFE book I found to be wrong, and the confuser gives explanations, explanations that should give you the necessary skills to be able to tackle the questions in the exam, and not have to rely on example questions, congrats on your pass!

Rusty

Speedbird 2946
17th Apr 2001, 17:26
I must say that I chuckled when I read this thread. Rusty Cessna is right, of course the confuser book will not contain the exact route. That would smell strongly of cheating if it did. I'm aware that many of the exam questions are similar, if not identical, to confuser questions but route planning is vitally important. It's no good if you can plan Southend to Southampton... but you live in Aberdeen! Catch the drift?

Jack Frost
17th Apr 2001, 20:03
TRUSTNO1
Are you a bit thick or what?
The idea of the PPL confuser is to assist you.... Not give you the answers?
I hope your methods of actually learning to fly the aircraft are a bit more sensible - let alone safe????

Rusty Cessna
17th Apr 2001, 20:11
Speedbird and Jack,

I too laughed a bit when I read it, it's a bit of a dim thought isnt it! Oh well no harm done, yet.

Rusty

trustno1
17th Apr 2001, 20:31
Hey Jack enough of the personal abuse. I was just passing on my personal experience. If you read my thread I advised not to rely on the confuser and to be confident using the CRP1. My own study consisted of reading the Trevor Thom book, doing the questions and then using the confuser as another source of study as well as ground school with my instructor. If I had just relied on learning the answers off by heart from the confuser I certainly would have failed. And that was my point in my original thread. You need to have an excellent understanding of the subject matter to pass - which I did.
So come dowm from your high horse and give me a break!!

Jack Frost
17th Apr 2001, 20:43
No offence intended....
Just a bit of light banter at the end of the day that was mis-read (much like your own post).
That's the problem with forums alike, somebody usually ends up getting upset - accept my appology.

[This message has been edited by Jack Frost (edited 17 April 2001).]

DB6
17th Apr 2001, 21:46
The PPL confuser's great for getting you through the exams if you've done a bit of work beforehand but note that in the Nav section it does not contain any radio nav questions at all when in fact there are 5 on the paper (difference from old CAA exam.)

trustno1
18th Apr 2001, 01:51
Apology accepted Jack....No hard feelings :)
In reply to DB6 my instructor gave me duff advice.
At no stage of my groundschool was Radio Nav
covered, nor for that matter was Radio Nav covered
on my 4 Nav exercises. I was told that I was ready to take the paper. I was also told beforehand that
the paper consisted of 20 questions and would take
1 hour. Needless to say I was a bit shocked when I saw
questions 20-25. I felt like getting up and letting the
examiner know that I was stumped. It all turned out OK in the
end. I had a word with the CFI who set my Nav paper regarding
my lack of Radio Nav knowledge. Needless to say things
are afoot to rectify the situation.