PDA

View Full Version : CATS vs BRISTOL Brush-up course!

pakythepilot
3rd Jan 2013, 16:59
Hi guys,
I have a little problem regarding my ATPL Theorical. I have already started the course with Bristol and I have paid for all the learning package which they offer excluded the brush-up courses, and I must admit I'm quite happy with that. The problem is that I prefer to split up my brush-up courses and conseguently my exams in three modules rather than two, and unfortunately bristol doesn't permit to do it as most of you know. I don't know why but I feel more comfortable doing my ATPL in three modules. I have asked to CATS if they could help me with my issue and I'm still waiting the response from them. I don't know too much about CATS, in fact I'm a bit worried about the quality of the brush-up, and that's why I'm asking you to share your direct experiences with them and reassure me about their quality. Thanks in advance for your further response.

Regards.

packo1848
3rd Jan 2013, 17:19
You can sit the exams in however many sittings (within the limits) you like, there were people on my Mod 1 brush up who split their exams up into 2 sittings. I have a feeling Bristol may also, if you phoned up and spoke to the girls on the desk, be able to sort you out with a brush up on the subjects you want to sit alone, without you having to sit in on the others (provided its not a mix of Mod 1 and Mod 2 subjects which may clash on the timetables).

As for CATS I've never dealt with them personally, but I've certainly never heard anything bad about them.

Good Luck.

taxistaxing
3rd Jan 2013, 17:31
I don't know too much about CATS, in fact I'm a bit worried about the quality of the brush-up, and that's why I'm asking you to share your direct experiences with them and reassure me about their quality. Thanks in advance for your further response.

I'm doing DL with CATS. Actually as I type I should be revising as have exams next week :uhoh:.

I'm pretty happy with them. The distance learning really comes down to the effort you put in to learn the subjects so I wouldn't be too worried about the brushup. It is just the icing on the cake and will not make or break you.

The main advantage of CATS (other than the price!) is that they are extremely accomodating and flexible. They split the exams into three stages, but have no problem with you swapping the order of the stages or indeed picking and choosing exams to make your own stages and using more than three sittings, if you so desire. I'd have no problem recommending them.

That said if you have started with Bristol you really don't want to pay twice! I would speak to BGS in the first instance and try and sort something out. Hard to see why they would object to you attending a brushup and then doing the exams over two sittings rather one.

pakythepilot
3rd Jan 2013, 17:35
Thanks packo for your answer. However, my problem is that I want to split up each subject's brush-up in three times. That means you are forced to mix up some subjects from the module 1 & 2 into a third module, and I don't think so it would be possible with Bristol. As you said, you can organize your exam attempts in any way you want, but not the brush-up modules.

pakythepilot
3rd Jan 2013, 17:44
@taxistaxing
obviously I would go with CATS, only if they permit me to buy just the brush-up courses and not the entire training package, otherwise it would be useless and expensive. Anyway, it make me feel relaxed to hear that they are flexible and allow you to organize your exam attempts as you prefer because it's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for your answer. :)

cumbrianboy
4th Jan 2013, 17:38
You won't be able to do that. The point of Distance learning is that it is a modular course which is monitored by a training school. In order for the school to authorise your exam entry (you can not just turn up and do the exams) the school has to verify to the CAA that you have not only completed the DL course, but also attended a minimum number of hours in the classroom.

If you attend the course at CATS, Bristol will not authorise your form, and CATS can't authorise it as you are not enrolled with them.

Therefore, if you want to do the CATS brush up, you will need to reenrol and do the full CATS course with them, otherwise, negotiate what you want with Bristol.