PDA

View Full Version : Disable Internet for Client Use

M Taylor
3rd Jan 2013, 03:45
Have a desktop which is connected to a network.

I have our admin account - which is connected to internet via network.

Then guest account for client - also connected to internet via network. Sure I can just pull out the network cable, but sometimes when busy it is easy to actually forget to do this. Is there anyway through settings /software to disable internet through one account (guest) but always have it on in your admin account.

Thanks everyone

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 08:09
You'll want to look at some third-party kiosk software (the sort of thing they run on museum displays that are actually Windows in the background).

Nothing beats physically removing access of course as there is always the prospect of work arounds by a determined individual.

Prazum
3rd Jan 2013, 10:57
You should use a proxy server ideally. Or set a local policy for the guest account giving them a specific IP address, then add that ip to the deny list on the router. You can also disable the network properties via local policy. Make sure the admin account has an allowed IP address on the router. Hey presto free work around

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 11:20
You should use a proxy server ideally.

Easily bypassed. Just ask a friendly school kid about what they get up to during IT classes. :E

Or set a local policy for the guest account giving them a specific IP address

IP addresses are per computer, not per user.

Setting a local policy to run a script would mean you would have to give the user rights to change the IP address, which would mean they could easily change it back.

As I said.... if you're unable to disconnect the cable, then the only answer is a kiosk setup.... that's at least a bit trickier to bypass than a simple proxy.

M Taylor
3rd Jan 2013, 21:17
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes I can just pull the cable, and when I run the training courses I always do that.

The issue is other staff sometimes don't.

Do you have any further information about third party kiosk - how to get that rolling.

I was hoping there would be a simple solution, such as just disabling all browsers from the guest account, but then again what would I know about IT ?:ok:

Thanks for the tips

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 21:55
M Taylor,

Actually, before we go fully down the road of kiosk implementations, perhaps Faronics Deep Freeze will be sufficient for you.

Basically, you set the system up as you like it... then you "freeze" it. The theory goes that no matter what users do, or try to install, all you need to do is reboot and the system goes back to its frozen state.

You can "thaw" the machine for maintenance, your own personal use or whatever.