PDA

View Full Version : NZCAA End of Daylight Planning Requirements

Ixixly
2nd Jan 2013, 07:08
Question for all the NZ guys and gals out there. Been banging my head against the keyboard trying to find any kind of reference to planning requirements for End of Daylight in regards to Day VFR Aircraft in the NZCAA Regs and the NZ AIP.

The Aussie one is easy to find with the requirement to plan to be there 10mins before end of daylight with due regards for any holding required and i'm trying to find if there is something similar in the NZ Regs or NZ AIP??

27/09
2nd Jan 2013, 07:52
Not sure where it's written but you need to plan to be on the ground by ECT unless you are night rated, then you can go when/where ever you like. For ATO's from memory Night VFR can only be conducted within 10 nm of an airfield with operable runway lights, so you would need to be within 10 nm before ECT.

WRT flying school and aero club hire most places have a 20 or 30 minute prior to ECT requirement.

Ixixly
2nd Jan 2013, 08:28
Hmm, yeah, i've read about the Night VFR stuff, problem is finding where it actually requires in the rules for someone to have to be in the circuit or on the ground by ECT, struggling to find that actual rule written somewhere.

I had a brainwave before that maybe its not in the Regs but part of the SOPs for all companies so i'll have to double check mine tomorrow when I go to work!!

27/09
2nd Jan 2013, 08:52
Yep there is probably something in the Ops Manuals or SOPS for ATO operations. Most Ops manuals cover this sort of stuff, including fuel reserves etc

However from a Part 91 point of view (i.e. non ATO) the fact that a night rating is required to fly at night there is no need to have any other rule, therefore if you're not night rated you have to be on the ground by ECT.

mattyj
3rd Jan 2013, 01:46
Yeah probably just another example of CASA over regulation!

Oktas8
5th Jan 2013, 08:07
on the ground by ECT, struggling to find that actual rule written somewhere.

Part 61 (privileges of your licence type) says whether you can fly at night. If you can't, don't. Complicated?

Part 1 says what "night" is, if you weren't sure.
The AIP stipulates how to calculate ECT for your location.
If on an air transport operation, Parts 135 or 121 etc give additional restrictions for flying at night.
Least importantly, an SOP I once wrote that is typical of flying schools, said that non-night-qualified students had to be in the circuit 45 mins prior to ECT and on the ground 15 mins prior. Or something like that! :confused:

It is I think inappropriate for CAA to decide whether all pilots, everywhere should be on the ground 10, 20 or 30 minutes prior, because that number varies depending on latitude, terrain, season, weather and experience.

I do wonder where CASA plucked their magic number from.

Cheers,
O8

Ixixly
5th Jan 2013, 09:32
Its a good point Oktas8, i've been working with the Aus system for the last few years and just starting to get used to the NZ System which so far is a lot less complicated!!

27/09, you're quite right, I knew it was in our SOPs, what I was saying (Not very well I might add) was I needed to check the reference to the Regs that was in our SOPs to help me find it!

MattyJ and Oktas8 I think you're both quite right, at the risk of starting some kind of argument, the Aus System is HEAVILY REGULATED, I never quite realised it till I moved, I rather like the simplicity of the NZ Regulations and AIP that gives some basics required then relies on the Operator to create their own SOPs that allow for a safe operation specific to their needs and operating environment!!

LocoDriver
6th Jan 2013, 22:16
Night VFR under part 61 in NZ is now not restricted (ATO's are)

I have done quite a few night cross countries with students/ppls, who have all enjoyed the experience.
Night cross countries require careful planning, and, very good weather, keeping well away from the hilly bits.
A portable garmin 296 also comes along for the ride, which is always done as controlled VFR.

Under NZ rules, you must be on the ground before ECT, which, is in my book a bit tight... some places, expecially in Southern latitudes, it can get dark in about 5 minutes....not to mention cloud cover, etc etc..

I have always insisted on one and half hours for students on cross countries, one hour for PPls on cross countries, and 30 min if the aircraft is flying locally, less if they in the circuit....

Cheers

:ok: