PDA

View Full Version : QFlink Exodus 2.0

DeafStar
1st Jan 2013, 23:45
Rumour has it 10+ captains from BNE off to Virgin. 2008 all over again?

Karunch
2nd Jan 2013, 01:53
Surely the new CP hasn't caused this has he?

SHVC
2nd Jan 2013, 02:00
Are they on the CRZFO ground school are they?

grrowler
2nd Jan 2013, 02:03
But what about the jets!? They're coming any day now.

Maybe that carrot is starting to look a little shrivelled and wrinkly.

Conductor
2nd Jan 2013, 07:18
I was under the impression that Virgin had put a hold on recruiting until next year sometime?

Ned Gerblansky
2nd Jan 2013, 12:33
Word has it that a CX captain, former training captain on the 747 has left to go to RFDS Western Section on the PC-12 for life-style improvement. Derby. Go figure. The grass is always greener, even if it's mostly green cans on the dirt.

When will (globally) aviation management realise that experience and knowledge can't be bought? The RAAF went through a mass exodus in the mid 1980's, lost lots of airframes including a 707.

You have to engage your employees positively. The BBs of this world that say that a feedback of "I'd rather poo in my hands and clap than admit that I work for J******" is engagement, well, they need to be shot, first against the wall when the revolution comes.

In the meantime, as GA pilots exodus for the hopefully fullfilling, the overworked and bored of us will apply for those vacancies. Good Luck to all! (and happy new year)

Ned

Ejector
2nd Jan 2013, 14:38
Off to Virgin Mainline or Virgin/Skywest ATR ?

Will these be painted in Virgins Colours?

BPA
2nd Jan 2013, 19:28
ATR's have been in Virgin colours since there introduction last year.

Captain Sand Dune
2nd Jan 2013, 19:40
When will (globally) aviation management realise that experience and knowledge can't be bought? The RAAF went through a mass exodus in the mid 1980's, lost lots of airframes including a 707.
Pity they didn't learn the lesson.

Ultergra
2nd Jan 2013, 20:07
On the note of the CX pilot moving to Derby... Is there any truth to the rumour that 4 ex CX pilots left Cathay and not only moved to Karratha, but paid $1m each for the business, KFS..

If that's true, it doesn't say much for life in Cathay..

Captain Dart
2nd Jan 2013, 20:26
It's true. Also, two highly experienced F/O's I used to fly with went to CareFlight/Flying Doc a year or two ago, good lads too.

Cathay has long gone down the gurgler as a worthwhile airline career, it's 15-20 years to Command, no more new base slots, a training bond...erm 'forgiveable loan', and a minimal housing package in one of the most expensive cities on the planet.

Many senior, experienced F/O's, such as those above, are tired of the aggressive management, the Hong Kong crowds and pollution, the slow career progression and no hope of a basing opportunity.

CX has more than its share of marginal performers in the C and T department, one bad day with one of these clowns and your career is seriously affected. Add to that the constant night flights and jet lag, layovers in Saudi. And the jets ain't so shiny any more because of the corrosive South China atmosphere. For some, a 'regional' or GA in the clean environment, wide open space and freedom of Oz doesn't sound that bad.

Cathay Pacific Airways to GA; who'd 'a' thunk it?

Bograt
2nd Jan 2013, 23:09
On the note of the CX pilot moving to Derby... Is there any truth to the rumour that 4 ex CX pilots left Cathay and not only moved to Karratha, but paid $1m each for the business, KFS..

If that's true, it doesn't say much for life in Cathay..

Almost a "trumour". It was 3 of them. See the KFS website.

Trojan1981
2nd Jan 2013, 23:51
For some, a 'regional' or GA in the clean environment, wide open space and freedom of Oz doesn't sound that bad.

Actually, compared to what you just described it sounds great! :ok:

I would rather live in Wagga and fly a Saab than live in Honkers or Dubai and fly anything. Except of course, if you wanted to make a living you would probably be better of driving a truck than flying that Saab in Wagga.

neville_nobody
3rd Jan 2013, 00:04
Word has it that a CX captain, former training captain on the 747 has left to go to RFDS Western Section on the PC-12 for life-style improvement. Derby. Go figure

Guess he enjoys being awake all night then.........:ok:

Global Xpress
3rd Jan 2013, 00:05
Rumour has it also that QFLink recently picked up an ex Emirates 777 capt, to become a 300 F/O. Grass not always greener.....

Going Nowhere
3rd Jan 2013, 00:20
Correct, currently line training

Veruka Salt
3rd Jan 2013, 00:56
The CX Capt heading to the RFDS is a (relatively) junior Captain who was assigned across to the Airbus from the -400 a few years ago. He's been commuting to PER (with difficulty) while waiting for a basing (which isn't going to happen), hence the move. He's also been given grief with housing in HK, so no surprise he wants out.

His wife has recently qualified as a nurse/midwife and is going to join the RFDS too, so I'm told.

As for him getting used to night flying, he's well practiced at it. That's 90% of what we do on the Airbus. Single Pilot too, given the lack of experience most new joiners are arriving with.

Will miss flying with him. He's a good guy.

puff
3rd Jan 2013, 02:24
Just depends on peoples priorities, some the only goal is the shiny jet, others realise that lifestyle and family life are far more important. Some have to attain the shiny jet to realise that though!

Good one those that leave and make the move, it's a tough one but there is no point being miserable in life, far too many people in life(and flying) are like that.

clear to land
3rd Jan 2013, 06:08
Puff- it also can be 'been there done that, proved to myself I can and made more $$$ in 10 years than I can make in 30 under the Australian taxation system! Can now afford to come home and relax for the next 15 years of my flying career.' Also, the experience of life as an expat cannot be overestimated- amongst many other positives (and yes there are negatives too), you learn just how naive and sheltered the Australian world view is-it really is an island at the end of the world (and what a sheltered workshop the Australian aviation industry is). Flipside is thats what makes it a great place to live and work-when you can afford too!

RATpin
3rd Jan 2013, 09:25
Well said "That Man".
Could not agree more,particularly the "World View".:D

Ned Gerblansky
3rd Jan 2013, 10:03
I must apologise for seeming to hi-jack this thread and make it not what the original poster intended, concern for his regional airline, and the diminishing experience levels associated with exodus. The points I was trying to make are;

Exodus is not new, not localised, it is universal - but it costs dearly.

Does anyone outside the pilot community see this?

The Supply vs. Demand equation is not solved by reducing ad absurdum the minimum pilot requirements, that only adds more burden to the training captains. Also it effectively chokes your recruitment, because QFLink are offering cadet pay for all new entrants, therefore paying peanuts reaps what it sows.

What will it take to change?

God forbid an accident. Hopefully sanity and discussion will prevail.

Ned.

Livinthedream320
3rd Jan 2013, 10:29
Simple Really

Get rid of the Higher School Certificate requirement..

Thatschecked
3rd Jan 2013, 11:14
How amazing, I get more of a tingle and warm feeling thinking about that ex Cathay capt moving back home with his wife to begin a life of relative normalcy in the Western Australian outback, than that of someone doing the opposite and moving overseas to some dusty sandpit or urban stink hole.

Good on em, I can imagine it will be defining moment in their lives and one they won't regret!

unseen
3rd Jan 2013, 11:16
Simple Really

Get rid of the Higher School Certificate requirement..

Really?

The HSC thing again?

b55
6th Jan 2013, 06:22
With another pilot shortage looming on the horizon, is Qlink resorting now to subliminal messages to recruit new pilots?! Check out the latest Macca's commercial being shown on the Brissie tennis. At the very end of the commercial where the scene pans out from the Macca's car park, there goes a Qlink Dash8-400 "quietly" taking off in the top left corner in the background! Very clever recruiting at the burger stand, boys and girls!
Eat here or take away?! Oh, wait a minute... maybe a possible change again in the catering policy is what is really looming here!! Very clever again.

Fuel-Off
6th Jan 2013, 06:32
Or perhaps the editors forgot to take out that Dash in the shot during post production? :ugh:

Re exodus - I would say that the network will suffer some 'hiccups' but I don't think we'll see the same level of recruiting we saw from DJ back in '08 read - cancellation of flights.

Looks like a Classic anyway...if it were a Q400, you wouldn't see it in the shot for very long :E

Fuel-Off :ok:

Jack Ranga
6th Jan 2013, 08:29
And where is this pilot shortage? And when is it going to happen again?

DeafStar
6th Jan 2013, 08:38
Seems to me that JB would know where his next intake of pilots will be from. Sure to make a dent.

Ultergra
6th Jan 2013, 21:12
Virgin isn't expanding its Jet fleet... It is expanding it's byproduct "Skywest" and I'm not too sure many current turbo prop drivers would leave just to go fly another boat.

Maybe it's not only then the "shinny jet" syndrome but also a "painted tail" syndrome...

Hugh Jarse
6th Jan 2013, 21:42
I don't know about "shinny" (sic) jet syndrome. You'll probably find that they are leaving because they are tired of working for the Qantas group (and enduring the way it treats its staff). Working for QLink used to be reasonable pay with a good lifestyle. That was why I stuck around for so long.

However, with successive EBA's the remuneration remained static (no, went backwards IMO), while lifestyle definitely went backwards.

That's the main reason I left.

I couldn't be happier with the choice I made (and the opportunity given me). I now have a lifestyle far superior to what I had :)

Good luck to all the QLink pilots on hold awaiting a start. You won't regret it :ok:

speedjet
6th Jan 2013, 21:49
I'll second what Jarse said.

I spent 5 years at QLink and initially I thought I would be there until retirement, but when lifestyle disappeared, so did I.

The move may have been a short term reduction in pay, but long term it will be much better with better lifestyle. It is not unusual for me to get 15 days off per roster.

Josh Cox
6th Jan 2013, 21:52
Whilst there is a little difference in salary, I wouldn't imagine too many would be keen to go from from one turboprop to another, unless the new basing was preferable.

*COUGH combined seniority COUGH*.

3 Year Captain Salary (FY2012-13):
ATR $108,908
Q400 $103,700
Q300 $96,918

The HSC thing is an interesting one, a good number of the senior guys and girls do not have the HSC ( employed prior to the change of ownership ), and they don't seem to have an issue doing the job.

Completing year 12 as a mature student is pretty easy, there are many training organisations that offer correspondence, one week intensive courses or night TAFE.

Hugh Jarse
6th Jan 2013, 22:25
Josh, if you're talking combined seniority between Eastern/Sunstate, I was on the negotiating committee in 2007/8 (from memory), and we came to an agreement way back then.

The meetings were facilitated by the company (to its credit), however I believe to this day that NK and MD (privately) did not think the two pilot councils would ever reach an agreement, as there previously had been quite some antipathy between them until now.

Some time after the final proposal was presented to the company, we were advised that the process would go no further. I can't remember what the reason was (or if any was in fact, given).

It's seven years later................... What has changed?

markis10
6th Jan 2013, 22:58
Virgin not expanding its jet fleet, how did they get to 99 from 80 18 months ago if they are not expanding? They have been adding more than retiring, equating to a net 10-15% capacity increase by seats.

Alien Role
7th Jan 2013, 00:07
Virgin not expanding it's jet fleet....?? Be patient, it might be a short wait!!

Role on....

Ultergra
7th Jan 2013, 01:01
Markis10,

I said, "Virgin isn't expanding their jet fleet"... Not Virgin 'hasn't expanded their jet fleet."

The wheel has stopped or perhaps grossly slowed down in Virgin.

They have rebranded.
Painted aircraft.
Changed uniforms.
Bought 330's.
Established a business class.
Focused more on cabin service.

Now, it has to make money and prove it's been worth it before there will be any more significant re-investment. And it'll happen! I'm not saying it won't. But the dudes in the right hand seat better get comfortable.

All the immediate future expansion in Virgin, will be on the ATR fleet and through Tiger. Perhaps LWOP from Virgin to go take up a command at Tiger is an option for current Virgin FO's?

Chronic Snoozer
16th Jan 2013, 14:52
Add to that the constant night flights and jet lag, layovers in Saudi.

Layovers? Try living here!

DeafStar
26th Jan 2016, 21:51
Time to revive this thread? 50 cadets to QF this year. Quite a few of to Emirates and then there is the F100's in Perth and a trickle to Cathay. Going to be an interesting year!

startingout
27th Jan 2016, 04:56
Can't loose too many off to Perth. Heard that the numbers are upwards of 90 applying for a F100 slot. Interesting as that is nearly a fifth of the pilot base.

rmcdonal
27th Jan 2016, 05:17
I always find the numbers thrown around in the crew room and here on PPRuNe to be over inflated.
90 applying for Perth? I doubt there are 90 FOs in QLink with ATPLs since Part 61, and I doubt the Senior Captains or Qantas Cadet Captains would apply, and only a few junior Captains would see it as a worthwhile move. Any pilot chasing a new airline would be waiting to see what happens at Mainline, or already on the way to the sandpit, neither of which requires jet time.
90 pilots without the required minimums however….

wishiwasupthere
27th Jan 2016, 05:57
Slight thread drift, but regarding the Network F100 FO spots advertised on AFAP, why the need to hold an ATPL to be an FO???

JetRacer
27th Jan 2016, 06:19
why the need to hold an ATPL to be an FO???

So one day they can be a Captain......

sheppey
27th Jan 2016, 06:39
Quote:

So one day they can be a Captain......

And also a means of culling the mob if there are too many panting to get a job. In another era at Ansett, you could get a job as F/O DC3, F27 etc with a bare commercial licence and no instrument rating. Because of the seniority system and bugger-all movement up the line, there was little incentive to study for the SCPL theory exams, now called ATPL exams. When command slots came up suddenly there were all these CPL 8,000 hour first officers who could not be bothered to do the exams and were perfectly content to stay as permanent copilots on good money and protected by seniority.

Ansett for example had to nip this in the bud and I believe gave CPL first officers two years to pass the SCPL theory exams or get the boot. Might even have been less than two years. Some SCPL candidates failed the exams continually and left the airline.

After that, the trend was the airlines required all theory exams to have been passed before joining the airline. Similar to present day. All the above from memory which can be unreliable at times.

wishiwasupthere
27th Jan 2016, 06:54
I get all of that, but under wonderful CASA's new system making it cost prohibitive to get an actual ATPL, even if you have all of your ATPL subject passes it seems you're unemployable by an airline in Australia.

rmcdonal
27th Jan 2016, 07:41
Simple method of culling pilot applications, and saving on flight tests in the future. My guess would be in a few years time when FO applicants with an ATPL dry up the requirement will be lifted. Sort of like when you see a job requiring time already on type, if there is no one qualified, or the pay isn't good enough then the requirement will be relaxed.

Frathouse
28th Jan 2016, 23:26
50 Cadets at QF, 90 to Network, JQ employing, QF expanding, etc.

Here we go boys! Funny how the industry works. Middle East suffering and China about to die. Australia expanding.

God help the clowns going overseas. They must'nt read the posts on pprune too well. Sham we cant access the EK, CX, CS, CE, etc forums to read just how bad it is.

Goat Whisperer
30th Jan 2016, 01:37
VA opening the gates before mid-year too.

It's the back of a long queue though.

updown
30th Jan 2016, 03:11
It's true QLink are desperate!

Did an interview about 5 years ago, was told to re-apply in 6 months. Never did.

6 years later, they email me asking to update my application and want me to pay for a psychometric test. :=

No thanks Qlink! You had your chance :cool:

:ugh:

PPRuNeUser0161
15th Apr 2016, 22:20
They are about to become a whole lot more desperate. A bunch of Captains about to resign, and they reward there remaining crew by driving them harder, 10 hour 6 sector shifts, double O/N's etc. OH!, and they act surprised when even more leave this paradise!Even some FO's are giving it the rear end treatment because its becoming unsustainable. Be careful what you wish for potential applicants.

SN

ACMS
16th Apr 2016, 02:37
Frathouse:---- what private CX forum? Just read Fragrant Harbour and you'll see all you need to see...

VH-FTS
16th Apr 2016, 07:03
Are a bunch of South African captains still coming over on a 12 month contract? If so, how do the existing FOs feel about it?

AerocatS2A
16th Apr 2016, 08:14
Ah, great! So a jet FO job might become available to applicants who can't jump the queue by buying their ATPL, in a few years time! Back to the outback for you in the mean time.
They can get their ATPL on a turboprop.

(*assuming they don't go down the path of applying for 457 Visas due to lack of "suitable candidates". Which HAS already been done by multiple companies in Australia..)

I've seen this done for Captains, but FOs? My experience is that suitable FOs get upgraded, others don't, some of them don't understand/accept that they aren't suitable. To be fair, some flight ops teams aren't very good at explaining why someone isn't getting an upgrade and what they can do to improve.

Crash8
16th Apr 2016, 12:18
SN, south of the boarder 10hr duties are fairly common on day 1 of an O/N, but we don't see 6 sector days. No talk of more Eastern crew jumping ship just yet.

FTS, we now have a command assessment process, so for whoever has been screened and is in the pool (and i'd imagine over 2/3 F/O ranks are eligible) bypass pay will be up for grabs as soon as they start adding DEC to the bottom of seniority, assuming they get added of course.

SHVC
16th Apr 2016, 12:24
Well I hope QLink don't go down the 457 avenue, they did that with the ATR and the 457 guys have done nothing but cause headaches, skill level of 457 is very concerning.

Fonz121
17th Apr 2016, 06:36
In what possible way could Qlink use 457 Captains? How could they prove the necessity of this to the authorities while most of the FOs are upgradeable?

Arewegettingjets
17th Apr 2016, 08:49
In what possible way could Qlink use 457 Captains? How could they prove the necessity of this to the authorities while most of the FOs are upgradeable?

The 457 Visa DE captains is nonsense. It's a false rumour, plain and simple. Spoke to a recruiter who went to S.A. and he said they never at any stage were looking for DE captains.

You're wasting your time banging your heads against the wall about this issue when it simply isn't true.

On another issue, definition of Exodus: 'mass departure of people'

Let's assume mass departure = 1/4 of pilots, does that sound fair? I'll eat my hat, wings, bars and tie if 125 pilots QL pilots go to EK.
Whoever started this thread should get a job at a newscorp paper, the sensationalism is top notch!

Di_Vosh
18th Apr 2016, 00:25
Bear in mind that this thread was created just over three years ago.

IIRC, some crew left but there wasn't an "exodus" then.

Today, well, our "management" aren't predicting another 2007/2008 when we lost 40% of our pilots. But...

Last year: 40 FO's to Cathay, a few leaving due to the base closures, and a couple of Captains leaving for Virgin.

This year: 4 pilots already left for EK. 2 more to EFA and elsewhere. 50 Qantas cadets to leave over the next 12 months or so, plus LOI holders. Rumoured up to 20 FO's waiting for Cathay start dates, rumoured at least seven more Captains waiting EK start dates. Rumoured around 60 Sunstate pilots applying for EK right now.

A lot of rumours there, but I wouldn't be writing off 125 pilots leaving within 12 months just yet.

DIVOSH!

mcgrath50
18th Apr 2016, 00:30
50 Qantas cadets to leave over the next 12 months or so

Have the powers that be figured out how they are doing this yet? Would taking the most senior cadets be possible (as they would be captains/C&Ts now?) or will they take people from across the board to try and balance things?

Going Nowhere
18th Apr 2016, 00:42
Heston,

Yes, QLink can do the ATPL flight test. It's done during the command upgrade process.

About 500-550 pilots at the moment.

Going Nowhere
18th Apr 2016, 01:03
Within 3 years? highly unlikely.

Wages always reflect rank and total years of service.

Di_Vosh
18th Apr 2016, 01:34
Have the powers that be figured out how they are doing this yet? Would taking the most senior cadets be possible (as they would be captains/C&Ts now?) or will they take people from across the board to try and balance things?

As far as anyone knows, they're still working that out. They appear to be getting closer to a solution and a process, according to the latest phone info session from last week.

What I have heard (another rumour of course) is that ALL eligible cadets will be given mainline seniority numbers (based on previous seniority) before any are placed into mainline. So a senior Qlink Captain placed into mainline in December this year wouldn't be junior to a junior Qlink FO placed into mainline in August. Again, another rumour, but seems to be a fair system to me (I'm not a cadet).

hestonfysh to clarify Going Nowhere if I may...

If you join with minimum hours it is extremely unlikely you'd be a Captain in three years. If you joined with 1900 hours and an ATPL it would be unlikely but certainly possible that you could be a Captain within three years.

Once you're a Captain, then the 55% rate isn't applicable. You'd be paid as a "x-year" Captain on the relevant EBA scale.

DIVOSH!

mcgrath50
18th Apr 2016, 03:41
What I have heard (another rumour of course) is that ALL eligible cadets will be given mainline seniority numbers (based on previous seniority) before any are placed into mainline. So a senior Qlink Captain placed into mainline in December this year wouldn't be junior to a junior Qlink FO placed into mainline in August. Again, another rumour, but seems to be a fair system to me (I'm not a cadet).

Seems like a very sensible solution to keep all parties happy, which makes the rumour seem unlikely :E

Thanks for the info Di_Vosh!

Fonz121
18th Apr 2016, 04:09
I wouldn't count on that many Sunstate guys and girls wanting to go to EK. A lot came to Sunstate for the lifestyle, and even though that has all but gone they definitely don't see living in Dubai as an improvement.

Unless they're keeping it quiet I couldn't even think of 10 people who'd want to go.

Going Nowhere
18th Apr 2016, 06:14
Same Fonz,

60 would be close to 25% of the list. Given the top 50 odd are 'lifers', I don't see how 60 others would be interested.

Dubai ain't for everybody

DeafStar
19th Apr 2016, 04:48
I wouldn't count on that many Sunstate guys and girls wanting to go to EK. A lot came to Sunstate for the lifestyle, and even though that has all but gone they definitely don't see living in Dubai as an improvement.

Unless they're keeping it quiet I couldn't even think of 10 people who'd want to go.
Fonz there is 9 guys in Cairns alone that are going.

donpizmeov
19th Apr 2016, 04:52
Can I take their job in Cairns.....please?

halas
19th Apr 2016, 06:04
Me too

halas

PPRuNeUser0161
19th Apr 2016, 10:55
DEC's won't happen, theres been the odd one or two here and there over the years but no mass recruitment, they might threaten it but won't do it. They would at least have to go through he CRP as do the current FO applicants. Theres also still quite a bit of experience in the FO ranks, even after you take out the cadets, if they actually go.

SN

clear to land
19th Apr 2016, 15:14
You can have my LHS 777 for your Dash in BNE :)

The name is Porter
20th Apr 2016, 09:26
You'll get crotch rot in Cairns :=

The name is Porter
21st Apr 2016, 05:22
Sorry.........:cool:

You'll get scrote rot in Cairns (is that better?) :=

Cravenmorehead
21st Apr 2016, 06:02
Cairns is a great place. Reef, rainforest, short drive to work, great ATC, friendly locals and good amenities. Yeah gets a little hot at times and no surf but hey.........???
Oh, and a good sexual health clinic to fix your crotch rot Porter at North Cairns community health. All free even if you don't have a Medicare card.
Craven

The name is Porter
22nd Apr 2016, 09:15
Craven........you don't get crotch (scrote) rot from rooting :ugh:

Cravenmorehead
22nd Apr 2016, 10:37
Porter I have it on good authority that they treat lots of Crotch rot and can recommend Myconazol as the best stuff to use

The name is Porter
22nd Apr 2016, 13:40
I think I'll just scratch it :E

Beer Baron
23rd Apr 2016, 02:26

I think this scenario is highly unlikely. Reserved mainline seniority numbers for guys not yet employed in mainline was tried before (LOA161) and led to a lot of anguish. The policy was eventually thrown out a few EBA's ago. There is very little appetite amongst the company or AIPA to go down that path again.

Expect your seniority number to be directly linked to your start date.

If QF and QL can agree to release the cadets in their previous order then that would be one way of controlling their resultant seniority numbers. I don't see any other way allowed for in the EBA.

Outside In
23rd Apr 2016, 04:28
BB. All eligible cadets could be employed as at a single date, say, 1 June or whatever, then immediately put on LWOP. The cadets seniority numbers would be based on the course they attended and in what order they graduated. This would solve the seniority issue, even if some of the more ‘senior’ cadets where not released to mainline before some more ‘junior’ ones. Presumably the LOI holders could be included in this scenario as well.

PPRuNeUser0161
23rd Apr 2016, 05:37
The simple solution is to take them in the order that they were awarded the cadetship in the first place, no one will want to hang around Qlink after it starts anyway. Qlink have to man up and realise that crew turnover and training a part of being in this industry and the fact is, after 10 or so years, most are ready to move on. Opportunities abound worldwide for the willing and I don't see that changing any time soon.

SN

Keg
23rd Apr 2016, 12:40
. I think this scenario is highly unlikely. Reserved mainline seniority numbers for guys not yet employed in mainline was tried before (LOA161) and led to a lot of anguish.

I disagree. It's happened previously without any issues. If you look at the start dates for seniority numbers from about 785- 825 you'll find a whole host of different start dates. The seniority numbers were blocked out for Regional pilots as part of a settlemeant for a course case they'd brought against Auatralian Airlines. I think they started in seniority order from the regionals but when they started was up to the regional and when they could be released.

Similarly, there are 4 seniority numbers from 740-780 that have start dates out of sequence. These were ex cadets who were not released by their employers when Qantas came calling. In each case Qabtas honoured the provision that said seniority was on graduation order.

The same rule can apply here. Course graduation order of cadets and then order within courses can see those numbers blocked aside now. If the reason they don't start is because the Qantas owned regional tells mainline that they'll struggle for trainers, or whatever if they do then I have no problems blocking that number for them when they do start.

In fact, I can't think why it would be an issue at all? Qantas has essentially said we'll take you and this is your start date but it's more important for the group if you stick in your current role for another few months.

Jetsbest
23rd Apr 2016, 22:01
The QF A330 fleet has, I believe, numerous S/Os who were nominally brought in on a Friday for a "start date" and then joined additional A380/747 recruits on the Monday for the remainder of the induction process. They are senior to the Monday joiners forever, and the step was supposedly taken to get the "right candidate" on the right fleets without them being perpetually on the bottom of the seniority list after they lost the "day one lottery".
That's the rumour anyway...:E

PPRuNeUser0161
25th Apr 2016, 02:09
The thing thats missing here at at moment is the BN Captains don't appear to be leaving, Cairns is bleeding profusely but theres not a huge crew there. If the cadets in BN leave but no one else does then the whole mass exodus thing might be manageable.

SN

Crash8
25th Apr 2016, 03:13
I'm with you SN. The only real movement will be when the cadets go, and that will be a slow process I'd imagine.

There is no talk in Eastern of anyone going, other than the cadets. When other opportunities open up with group carriers I can see movement.

NowThatsFunny
17th Sep 2016, 08:45
Isn't it funny how things change.
Half the cadets have now been knocked back by Qantas (18 more just recently received the "no").
And Emirates is taking all they can get.

rmcdonal
17th Sep 2016, 20:09
"Half the cadets have now been knocked back by Qantas (18 more just recently received the "no").
And Emirates is taking all they can get. "
And the difference to QLink is that what could have been a controlled bleed of pilots to Mainline will now result in those pilots not having to wait at all to get a start at EK. Sort of like holding the front door closed while everyone runs out the back.

Beer Baron
19th Sep 2016, 06:32
So earlier in the year some weird and wonderful ideas were proposed for controlling the seniority numbers of the newest Qantas recruits. Did any of those ideas come to pass or are they using the normal rules based on the day you start working for mainline?

Ps. Congratulations to all the new recruits!

pacman3
19th Sep 2016, 10:31
what is involved in the video interview where QLink what to know more about "you" any ideas anyone