PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a flight school in florida

Jenza
1st Jan 2013, 17:37
Hello everyone

I am new to the forum, i hope i am in the right thread.

I am looking for a decent flight school in florida i have a 40k budget (could be a little more) just for the school, other expenses are already covered.

My requirements are ppl, instrument, CPL single and multi. with 225+ hours of flying i am all set.

Btw i am from Peru, so flight schools that can recieve internation students would be great.

I have been looking all over the internet, but i cant decide.

Thanks in advance to everyone who answers

Johnny Bekkestad
1st Jan 2013, 20:14
You will need 250 before you can go for checkride on either CPL single or multi, so you would need to budget for minimum of 252 (recommended to budget for 270) before you are done with all of them

zondaracer
1st Jan 2013, 21:36
What if he studies under part 141? Then he could technically be finished at 190hrs. But yeah, it is always a good idea to budget for extra hours.

RedBullGaveMeWings
1st Jan 2013, 21:38
I don't know in Florida, but there are two flight schools that claim that from 0 to CPL it should cost you less than your budget. These flight schools are Skymates in Texas and American Aviation Academy in San Diego. They are both authorized to receive students under M-1 visa.

haribAIR
1st Jan 2013, 22:04
You'll find many "descent schools" offering all what you want for 40K, but the reality is far from that. For 40 you can expect a PPL, IR and some hour building with some filthy planes, but not a decent training in a descent school... Good luck!

Johnny Bekkestad
2nd Jan 2013, 02:30
True, but he would loose out on training and it would still cost him more than it would with 61.
He would get a lot less multi time, since the majority of 141 CPL is done on single engine. Not many schools will let the student timebuild in a twin solo. The main difference is for the 141 VA program where this is needed.
The school i went to we did PPL 141, ME 61, Instrument 141 and CPL SE&ME 61

Jenza
2nd Jan 2013, 03:22
First of all thanks for all the replies, very gratefull.

I found this today maybe its a good one.
What do you guys think

International Flight Training Programs - Aviator Flight Training College (http://www.aviator.edu/flight-training-programs/international-flight-training-program.aspx)

Greetings

scavenger69
2nd Jan 2013, 10:39
Try:
Aviator College
Flight safety academy
Phoenix East aviation

This schools offer professional pilot programs. From 0 to cpl.
Good Luck!

RedBullGaveMeWings
2nd Jan 2013, 12:26
OK, Aviator has a program for students under M-1 Visa and they claim that the student can log up to 200 hours in ME aircraft. The problem is that it cost a little bit more than his budget.
No way for Flight Safety Academy and Phoenix East Aviation, they are expensive.

International Flight Training Programs - Aviator Flight Training College (http://www.aviator.edu/flight-training-programs/international-flight-training-program.aspx)

The OP is better off visiting the school before enrolling!

Is Part 61 training available to international students too? I heard that only Part 141 schools can enroll international students - could anyone explain me this?

Jenza
2nd Jan 2013, 13:56
Thanks you very much for answering, i think ill go to aviator college, does anyone has any references of this school??

scavenger69
2nd Jan 2013, 14:39
I'm also planning to attend.

I found this blog from a guy that started flying there. Apparently you can fly a lot, planes are old but working.
http://theflyingdream.********.com.ar/
You can read more about it in a thread called "aviator college - Ft Pierce - FL" that I started a few days ago.
Good Luck!

RedBullGaveMeWings
2nd Jan 2013, 15:38
First go there and give a look at the school if you can. That school is not perfect, no school is perfect. I am also thinking of attending Aviator under the F-1 Visa program. That amount of time on ME aircraft attracts me a lot.
Also, there is Hillsboro Aviation that isn't expensive either and the quality seems good. If you subtract the cost of CFI, CFII and MEI you should be below your budget.
I haven't understood if you want to instruct too yet.

Gomrath
2nd Jan 2013, 18:48
Is Part 61 training available to international students too? I heard that only Part 141 schools can enroll international students - could anyone explain me this?
That is quite correct - ONLY a Part 141 School can sponsor a foreign student for a Visa.
A Part 141 School can be eligible for SEVIS approval to issue the Visa.
Not all Part 141 Schools are SEVIS approved.
A Part 61 School cannot become SEVIS approved. It first has to become a Part 141 School then go through the next stage of becoming SEVIS approved.

However, the subsequent training at a Part 141 School can be undertaken under a Part 61 or Part 141 regulations.
The advantages of Part 141 are that you can go straight into the next flight training course without having to have pre-req PIC hours e.g. Private -> IR. However, the course is much longer and rigidly structured to take that into account.

That amount of time on ME aircraft attracts me a lot.

Be VERY wary about that and do your homework.
Some Flight Schools might double up with two students each logging PIC time concurrently.

RedBullGaveMeWings
2nd Jan 2013, 22:26
Gomrath, thanks for all of your answers not only in this thread, but in all the others too!

Jenza
11th Jan 2013, 22:37
Want thanks to everyone for the replies. Starting the program on march wish me luck!!

Thanks

danny_andersen
15th Jan 2013, 17:22
Hi

I would highly recommend you to look at EAA (Europe American Aviation) in Naples. I did my training there. Modern glass cockpit fleet, great Operational staff and highly skilled instructors.

You are welcome to send me a private message and I will answer any questions that you have.

Europe-American Aviation (http://www.skystead.com)

gerpols
16th Jan 2013, 08:08
Paris Air, Vero Beach, the place to be !!