PDA

View Full Version : Enabling IPv6 in Windows 7

Pelikal
1st Jan 2013, 16:12
This post is probably more of a rant than anything. Basically, I want to network my (rather aging) G5 iMAC with an HP machine running Windows 7. This is going to be tricky enough in that I know naff all about networking.

However, I can't even get over the first hurdle. I need to create a home group on the HP but it won't let me as IPv6 isn't enabled. Can I find a simple check box 'enable IPv6'? Can I heck. The troubleshooting section was no use whatsoever so started googling. Plenty of others have had the same issue and the resolutions seem to involve dabbling about in registries and stuff.

I'm not confident to go into that sort of depth but maybe I'll have to. I'm just having a bitch. Why can't I simply check a box on a function that is so vital? Grrrr...

Anyway, Happy New Year!

BOAC
1st Jan 2013, 16:29
Support for IPv6 in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.cableguy.aspx)

but beware - your adapter may NOT have the necessary drivers.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jan 2013, 16:34
why do you need IPV6 on a home network?

the old Mac almost certainly won't have that capability anyway

BOAC
1st Jan 2013, 16:51
Does 7 not use !Pv6 for home networking?
Edit: Yes, from my link

"HomeGroup in Windows 7 is a new way for computers on home networks to associate with each other and to let family members share documents, pictures, music, videos, and printers. HomeGroup relies on IPv6 connectivity and the Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking Platform on computers running Windows 7 on a single-subnet home network."

Pelikal
1st Jan 2013, 17:07
Milo, I don't know!! It's just I that I would like to transfer files between my Mac and the HP via ethernet.

I found this video, so started following it:

File sharing between Mac and PC / connect Mac to Windows 7 homegroup. (part 1) - YouTube

I came unstuck at about 50 secs in when the set-up told me I need to enable IPv6 to form the Homegroup. I haven't even watched the rest of the video as I saw little point. Even if I did manage to enable IPv6 I have my doubts whether the remainder will work, particularly as the poor old mac is still on 10.3.9. I basically just use it for some imaging work which it does reasonably ok.

There is a large drive on the HP which I would like to use as a back-up for the Mac. I just want a straightforward connection between the two.

Thanks!

mixture
1st Jan 2013, 17:34
Milo, I don't know!! It's just I that I would like to transfer files between my Mac and the HP via ethernet.

You can do that without IPv6, just using IPv4. Don't add the IPv6 to your life if you don't have to... its only going to come back and bite you in the backside when you're trying to troubleshoot some unrelated problem down the line.

Look in System Preferences and Sharing on the Mac.... you'll find a number of options in there that you could use to get your PC to connect to your Mac (e.g. FTP, SMB).

Alternativley, if you want to spend a bit of cash (and assuming its compatible with the version of OS X and non-intel processor running on your G5), take a look at Thursby DAVE. Install that on your Mac and you can connect to Windows shares as if you were a PC. Time-limited demo version available I believe.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jan 2013, 17:41
Pelikal

Ignore the home group, just use Windows networking through a workgroup as you would with any previous PC. Ignore the "Home Group" altogther
From you should be able to simply enable SMB on the Mac and log onto the windows shared network (Mixture will know more than I about that)

mixture
1st Jan 2013, 17:49
Mixture will know more than I about that

Been a while since I've used a non-intel Mac, older versions of OS X were a bit thin on features and could be a bit temperamental (OS X doesn't really start to shine until you start getting into the Intel versions Apple released later), so I hope I'm not out of touch on what's feasible.

Pelikal
1st Jan 2013, 17:52
Mixture, thanks, I'll explore the other avenues. This HP machine is new to me (a gift from a friend who has upgraded) and other than a slightly dodgy display is working well. Don't want to fcuk anything up just yet. It may be a while before I post back as it looks like I have some homework to do.

Yup, the processor is not Intel on the Mac. Thanks again!

Edit: Milo, missed your post. Getting an idea of how to take this further now.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jan 2013, 18:05
this may help, though it doesn't deal with WIN7
it should indicate what you need to do on the Mac

Sharing files between a Windows XP PC and a Mac running OS 10.3.x (http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3001.html)

from looking at other websites it does appear that the process can be very buggy...

mixture
1st Jan 2013, 19:33
from looking at other websites it does appear that the process can be very buggy...

On older versions of OS X yep, the implementation wasn't the best.

Works better now a days, although I'm quite fond of Thusrby DAVE too.

Pelikal
1st Jan 2013, 19:56
Milo, thanks for link. I have an old Tosh running XP Pro so may experiment on that first, bit tired now. Cheers!

Pelikal
2nd Jan 2013, 19:35
....dunno really. Made a connection between the G5 and the Tosh based on the link that Milo posted. I have issues with namings, passwords, workgroups, shared folders, IP addresses and stuff. I'm deliberately not going into detail as I'm unsure what could be amiss. However, I have at least made a connection!

I've never networked 2 computers.

I guess starting off networking a Mac and a Windows job with different operating systems isn't the brightest move. Still, it's what I need to do. If you fine people don't mind, I would like to keep this thread fairly active till I get a result. I'm trying to sort out the bugs as I go along but I may need some further assistance! Thanks.

mixture
2nd Jan 2013, 21:15

If you're coming at it from a non-IT perspective, it certainly looks like an insurmountable challenge. However from an IT perspective its one of the simpler projects in life, so its not an unrealistic challenge to set yourself. Particularly as once you've achieved it, it is a particularly rewarding skill to master because of the multitude of uses and freedom of being able to share files over the network without fumbling around with USB sticks, CD burning and all that nonsense.

Yes, the old version of OS X to Windows was perhaps not the greatest starting place. But wrap your head around that and you'll find newer OS X to Windows or Windows to Windows a doddle.

Carry on posting as long as you like. I'll try (hopefully others too !) to help if I can figure out where you're going wrong, but I'm also a firm believer in getting your hands dirty in order to learn stuff..... I never had any formal training in IT, just bit by bit you learn stuff as you go along (and learn from your mistakes too). You never stop learning in IT... both because of the ever changing nature of it, and also because you find yourself keen to learn how to do stuff you already know better and more efficiently.

Right... that's enough waffle from me. You should be getting back to your file sharing !

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jan 2013, 21:24
There appear to be basically two scenarios:

(1) It Just Works (TM) completely by magic with total amount of effort being zero

(2) You faff around for hours, days, weeks, and never quite get it to behave in a sensible fashion

Sometimes you have to set up and configure some stuff, following simple instructions, after which it all works as expected, but this is not a common scenario! Suggest buying a Windows server and some Windows clients of the right matching operating system to achieve this. But working by magic, for reasons you don't understand, or not working at all, for reasons you don't understand, are both rather more common.

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 08:11
Suggest buying a Windows server and some Windows clients of the right matching operating system to achieve this.

Oh for gods sake ! :rolleyes:

Pelikal
3rd Jan 2013, 08:43
Mixture, thank you for your generous words of encouragement. I know that if I crack this, I will be quite satisfied with myself. On the face of it, it does seem a simple task but I am on unfamiliar ground.

I have an overall picture of the set-up now and roughly know where the 'fiddly bits' hang out. The next issue to solve is the password one. I'm sure the Mac is connecting to the Tosh and is seeing the workgroup but it is requesting a password. I'm not sure what password though as I don't recall setting a password for the workgroup when it was created. My Mac account password doesn't seem to work so I'll try and retrace my steps later. It is nice to know I am welcome back here if I really get stuck. I'll also take shots of any windows and post these as well.

Gertrude the Wombat, when I was a pre-press chap in print with Mac and Windows servers all over the shop connected to a myriad of devices I relied on Magic because frankly I didn't have much of a clue as to how it all fitted together! I realise now that I should have taken more notice of the networking engineers, I could have learned a lot from them.

Thanks again for responses.

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 08:55
I'm not sure what password though as I don't recall setting a password for the workgroup when it was created.

Password won't be for the workgroup, but for the account on the computer. You might need to enter the username in the format "workgroup\username" (replacing both those with the actual names for the workgroup and username).

From memory, by default the workgroup name is the computer name you gave the computer.

Pelikal
3rd Jan 2013, 09:48
Mixture, thanks. I've tried connecting using my admin name on the Tosh. That didn't work. The workgroup name is actually 'workgroup'. I might go through the procedure again just to get familiar with these.

Perhaps I should be using my Mac account password. However, I've messed up somewhere with that. I thought it was my name, which is 6 characters long (well, it was the last time I checked!). However, the field indicates it's 7 characters. I need to resolve this but I can't change the password.

I'll be out for a few hours but will double check what I've done so far later. However, I have connected at least!

Pelikal
3rd Jan 2013, 16:59
Well, going around in circles a bit. I'm trying to reset my Mac admin. account password (forgotten the original) using the original install disk and it doesn't seem to work. I need to sort this out first! Getting all messed up with keychains which I never bothered with.

I seem to have gone off at a tangent from my original posting in that for the time being at least this has nothing to do with enabling IPv6 in Windows7. I'm using my old Toshiba running XP Pro to practice networking which could then be useful in getting hooked up to the HP running Windows7.

Hmmm....

Saab Dastard
3rd Jan 2013, 17:13
Forget IPV6 in toto, ditto homegroups.

SD

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 17:16
Well, going around in circles a bit. I'm trying to reset my Mac admin. account password (forgotten the original) using the original install disk and it doesn't seem to work. I need to sort this out first! Getting all messed up with keychains which I never bothered with.

On older versions of OS X, its actually quite easy.

Did you try the methods out there that involve booting into single user mode and doing some black screen magic ? :cool:

Pelikal
3rd Jan 2013, 17:57
Mixture:
Did you try the methods out there that involve booting into single user mode and doing some black screen magic ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gifAh right, ok, back to Black Magic mode. Well, the latest is I've totally screwed up the log in. I created a 2nd account and logged in with that. Now I can't log in with the admin. which before was automatic but now requires a password.:ugh::ugh:

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 18:32
Pelikal,

Don't blame me if this causes you problems, but on OS X 10.3 it goes something like this ....

1/ Turn off computer
2/ Turn on whilst holding down apple and s
3/ Once it's all booted and you're on a black screen type /sbin/mount -uw /
4/ Type/sbin/SystemStarter
5/ Type passwd XXXXXX where XXXXX is the username of your admin account. Enter desired new password when prompted.
6/ Type reboot

If you don't know the username, before step 5, type :
nireport . /users name realname and use the value from the first column

Job done.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jan 2013, 18:50
and in case you need to reset the Keychain

Resetting your keychain in Mac OS X (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1544)

Point to consider is that - as far as I can remember - to log onto a shared drive on a windows PC from a Mac, the Mac needs to be logged in with a user name / password which also exists as a user on the PC, and the password cannot be blank . i.e. there HAS to be a password on the account

Keef
3rd Jan 2013, 21:30
Wot they said.

1. Ignore IPv6. Lots of stuff can't work with it yet, and it's another complication you don't need.

2. Avoid Homegroups. I had a nasty experience with one some years ago. It scrambled my computer and very nearly lost all my "stuff" - it locked all the hard drives it could find. Just use Workgroup.

3. It's exactly as Gertrude says: sometimes it just works, and sometimes it doesn't. I managed to network my Windows PC and laptop and a Linux PC that I used out in the "workshop". I think Mac is like Linux - you have to dabble with Samba and geekspeak stuff to set it up, but it does then work.

mixture
3rd Jan 2013, 21:51
I think Mac is like Linux

Well, it is BSD behind the GUI.... so you're in the ballpark in terms of concepts. :cool:

Pelikal
4th Jan 2013, 02:35
Mixture, sorry my last post contained a touch of frustration.

Ok, went into black screen. Got:

If you want to make modifications to files, run /sbin/fsck -y and then /sbin/mount -uw which I did.

I did your step 4 /sbin/SystemStarter

I then had the message: Waiting for Apple File Service about 25 times, followed by Startup complete.

Step 5 had no effect, just localhost:/ root#

Then did reboot, so no harm done. Any further thoughts on the password reset? As I stated, I have my original install disks which I purchased.

I wasn't expecting this detour from my original aim but perhaps it will make me careful with passwords and namings. Thank you for your patience!

mixture
4th Jan 2013, 07:54
Step 5 had no effect, just localhost:/ root#

Hmm... ok, there are various options for that step depending on your version of OS X.... guess I gave you the wrong one.... but no harm done. I'll go back to the drawing board.

As I stated, I have my original install disks which I purchased.

I'll try to do some research and see. When the install disk boots up, on the very first screen, do you see any menus ? (drop down type, like the usual file edit etc. ones you see on OSX). Is there any option in those menus that looks like password reset ?

Pelikal
4th Jan 2013, 13:02
Booted again with the install disk and used the reset password option and it worked. I think when I tried it before I didn't save it. Anyhow, done. Quite simple actually!:hmm:

Now, what was it I was trying to achieve? Oh, yeah, something about file sharing between my Mac and 2 PCs.

Consensus is I forget IPv6. I think I'll delete the workgroup stuff on the Tosh, that just confused me and I'll start again. Somewhere.

Milo, thanks, note taken.
to log onto a shared drive on a windows PC from a Mac, the Mac needs to be logged in with a user name / password which also exists as a user on the PC, and the password cannot be blank . i.e. there HAS to be a password on the account

green granite
4th Jan 2013, 13:59
In windows 7 use the WORK NETWORK option to set it up, providing the other 2 are live on the router already it should work like a charm.................then again..

Mike-Bracknell
4th Jan 2013, 17:53
My 2p:

- forget IPv6 but do NOT disable it from the network stack (as Microsoft places great faith in it and uses it in a lot of internal communication for processes which get their knickers in a twist if protocols are missing). You may need to kow about IPv6 shortly, but it's looking more and more like you'd only ever need it at the router level rather than on a home network.

- homegroup is fine, and is basically akin to "domain networking for dummies". It's certainly got just as many quirks and workarounds as workgroup computing, and there's a lot of FUD spread on threads such as this as to the effects of something people don't know too much about. e.g. Keef's drive locking would only be related to permissions needing resetting at the root, which is the same for any Windows box in certain aspects.

Mac the Knife
4th Jan 2013, 18:22
".....as far as I can remember - to log onto a shared drive on a windows PC from a Mac, the Mac needs to be logged in with a user name / password which also exists as a user on the PC, and the password cannot be blank . i.e. there HAS to be a password on the account"

That is correct.

Mac

rm -rf /

Pelikal
5th Jan 2013, 08:56
I must be being really thick here. I thought I had reset my password. When I login to the Mac on start-up, I use the new password which is 6 characters long.

When I view account information, the password field indicates 7characters for that account. Are these passwords different? Thought I had this sorted. Thanks.

mixture
5th Jan 2013, 09:12
Found an old tech document for OS X 10.2 that said ....

Regardless of how many characters are actually in a Mac OS X 10.2 password, seven bullet characters (•••••••) will
appear in the New Password and Verify fields the next time the password is edited.

Pelikal
5th Jan 2013, 09:29
Mixture, thanks for that, I thought I was going totally bonkers. So I guess there is a another reason why I can't connect properly to the Tosh, more to explore.

Milo Minderbinder
5th Jan 2013, 12:27
I assume that user name / password combo are a valid account on the PC?

Pelikal
5th Jan 2013, 13:18
Milo, thanks, I need to revisit all of that. I have a feeling I've added an unwanted complication somewhere. No doubt I'll be back! Cheers.

Pelikal
6th Jan 2013, 16:04
Well I'm back...SOME SUCCESS!!

I can now see my entire (extremely messy) Mac desktop on the Toshiba (XP Pro).

On the Tosh, I went Start ˃ My Network Places ˃ Entire Network ˃ Microsoft Windows Network and I saw Workgroup. So I double-clicked on that and to my surprise I saw Mac OSX (my-computer). A few clicks and there I was! So I can now copy files to the Mac.

Thing is I still can't log into the workgroup from the Mac which is what I would like to do.

I go Connect to Server.

Server Address:

smb://(Tosh IP address)

Click Connect, I get:

SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentification

Enter username and password for (ME):

Workgroup/Domain:
WORKGROUP

Username:
This is where I'm confused. It comes up automatically with the Tosh computer/system name which is different to my account name. The account I'm using on the Tosh is Administrator with a simple password.

Password:
The password which I login as Administrator on start-up.

The error msg I get on the Mac is:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" could not be read or written. (error code -36).

I know to an extent this has already been covered by previous replies but I'm trying to consolidate it.

I'm actually still unsure whether I should be using the Macs user details or the Tosh user details! I guess it doesn't really matter that I can't get into the PC from the Mac as least I can copy files to the Mac from the Tosh which was the idea. I would like to know what I was doing wrong though.

Is there another way of connecting to the PC? ie I'm using smb://etc etc.

When I get the files sorted out on the Mac I can then think about transferring them to the HP (Windows7).

Sorry about the long-winded post and hope I've made it clear where I am now. Thanks for all the assistance as I have partially fulfilled my aim!:ok:

Mike-Bracknell
6th Jan 2013, 17:23
Well I'm back...SOME SUCCESS!!

I can now see my entire (extremely messy) Mac desktop on the Toshiba (XP Pro).

On the Tosh, I went Start ˃ My Network Places ˃ Entire Network ˃ Microsoft Windows Network and I saw Workgroup. So I double-clicked on that and to my surprise I saw Mac OSX (my-computer). A few clicks and there I was! So I can now copy files to the Mac.

Thing is I still can't log into the workgroup from the Mac which is what I would like to do.

Unlike a homegroup (or Windows server domain) you don't "log in to a workgroup" per se, as it's not a shared set of services at all other than for computer browsing purposes (which in previous posts on the subject I pointed out has been broken/depracated since 1995 anyway as the browse-mastering "byte" in Windows 95 should have been a "long", and hence resulted in many truncated browse lists in larger networks with Win95).

In workgroups, therefore, your ability (or otherwise) to log into a 'server' is dictated solely by the permissions set on the serving server.

I go Connect to Server.

Server Address:

smb://(Tosh IP address)

Click Connect, I get:

SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentification

Enter username and password for (ME):

Workgroup/Domain:
WORKGROUP

Username:
This is where I'm confused. It comes up automatically with the Tosh computer/system name which is different to my account name. The account I'm using on the Tosh is Administrator with a simple password.

Irrespective of any simplification performed by some structures (such as domains, homegroups, or 3rd party Samba-esque services), ALL Windows (CIFS/SMB)-based services are logged into via the construct:

"device\username" (without quotes, and ensuring you're using the correct backslash rather than forwardslash).

"device" in a workgroup is the NetBIOS name of the PC. e.g. "Tosh-PC" (or whatever you're using). Hence in that example your username would be "tosh-pc\administrator" (again without quotes).

Password:
The password which I login as Administrator on start-up.

The error msg I get on the Mac is:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" could not be read or written. (error code -36).

I know to an extent this has already been covered by previous replies but I'm trying to consolidate it.

I'm actually still unsure whether I should be using the Macs user details or the Tosh user details! I guess it doesn't really matter that I can't get into the PC from the Mac as least I can copy files to the Mac from the Tosh which was the idea. I would like to know what I was doing wrong though.

Definitely, as mentioned above, use the credentials of the serving computer, as that's how the resource has been secured. Your PC has no knowledge of your Mac in this instance so how would it ever be able to discern between it's username being valid or invalid?

Is there another way of connecting to the PC? ie I'm using smb://etc etc.

SMB = Server Message Block (aka CIFS - Common Internet File System) - it's the Microsoft originated protocol for file operations, so you're using the right thing.

When I get the files sorted out on the Mac I can then think about transferring them to the HP (Windows7).

Sorry about the long-winded post and hope I've made it clear where I am now. Thanks for all the assistance as I have partially fulfilled my aim!:ok:

Pelikal
6th Jan 2013, 18:24
Ok, thanks Mike-Bracknell. I can see why books are produced for 'dummies'.

I'm trying to connect to the Toshiba as ROB\Administrator (Computer name and User Name) and my password for the admin. account. From what you say that seems to be correct.

I still get the same error msg. I've doubled checked the IP address of the PC and it seems ok as well so I don't know. Perhaps I'll leave it for the time being as I can see the Mac on the PC.

Mike-Bracknell
7th Jan 2013, 10:32
That should be the correct format then. Have you considered the firewall on the PC? Try turning it off and see how you get on.

/this is not a long term solution, just a troubleshooting step, so please turn it back on if you get nowhere.

mixture
7th Jan 2013, 10:43
That should be the correct format then. Have you considered the firewall on the PC? Try turning it off and see how you get on.

There's also a firewall on the Mac too.

But as Mike said.... only temporarily turn it off !

It might be that you need some third party solution on the Mac such as Thursby DAVE to make the leap from Mac to Windows, because I'm not sure how many of the Microsoft authentication algorithms were built-in to OS X 10.3.... but keep on trying with the built-in solution first.

The other option is to install FTP server software (freely available) on the Windows machine and access that from the Mac.

Pelikal
7th Jan 2013, 11:01
Thanks for those 2 replies. So it appears I have the format correct at last! The firewall is turned off on both machines but I'll double check. Neither of those machines are connected to the web, I'm using the HP for browsing etc. which is protected.

Error -36 on Macs seems to be an all-encompassing code that Apple use and is connected with permissions from a quick search. That would make some sense in my case.

I'm not connecting through a router, just a direct ethernet cable, all rather clumsy to be honest.

Mixture, just noticed your edit..Thursby DAVE was mentioned in an earlier post here.

mixture
7th Jan 2013, 11:12
I'm not connecting through a router, just a direct ethernet cable, all rather clumsy to be honest.

Not that it should matter because you said you already managed to get it working one-way, but is it a crossover ethernet cable ? (or are both network cards gigabit, in which case crossover is not needed)

Error -36 on Macs seems to be an all-encompassing code that Apple use and is connected with permissions from a quick search. That would make some sense in my case.

This got me thinking.

What's showing up in OS X Console (Applications -> Utilities -> Console) under "All Messages" ..... and similarly in Windows Eventviewer (start/run -> eventvwr).

There might (fingers crossed) be some useful messages coming up at or around the time when you try to make your connection attempts (don't forget to refresh/reload !)

Pelikal
7th Jan 2013, 13:38
Ha!! Mixture, I'm not using a cross-over cable. I just used a cable from on old ADSL modem kit. Yup, checked against an on-line diagram, it's 'straight through'. What a pl:hmm:nker. May explain the message on the Toshiba, limited connectivity. Well, I've learned a bit over the past few days.

No idea about the gigabit aspect. Can't find 'Console' on my Mac (10.3.9). Thanks! I really should go back to skool....

Saab Dastard
7th Jan 2013, 16:20
Most NICs will nowadays autosense RX/TX and don't require a x-over, but no harm to have the correct cable if connecting NIC-NIC.

SD

Pelikal
8th Jan 2013, 18:30
Well, I have now purchased a X-over cable and the Toshiba connects to the Mac as before, which is good.

I still can't make the Mac to Tosh connection. I'm still not convinced about my usage of Username and Password. This is what I get when I go 'Connect'.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/RobJHP/SMB-CIFS.jpg

Workgroup/domain is automatically filled, as is Username. As far as I can tell I just need to enter my Admin. password. Sorry for being repetitive but at least I can rule out the cable.

Milo Minderbinder
8th Jan 2013, 20:52
Have you followed the earlier instuctions to reset the keychain?

does the user "ROB" exist on the PC? (not rob or Rob)
and are you using the same password to logon as you did on the PC?

It would probably make life a lot easier if you also create a new user account on the Mac called ROB, with the same password

And are you sure the Windows workgroup is called "Workgroup" - on many versions of Windows the default is "Home"

Mike-Bracknell
9th Jan 2013, 09:27
Have you followed the earlier instuctions to reset the keychain?

does the user "ROB" exist on the PC? (not rob or Rob)
and are you using the same password to logon as you did on the PC?

It would probably make life a lot easier if you also create a new user account on the Mac called ROB, with the same password

And are you sure the Windows workgroup is called "Workgroup" - on many versions of Windows the default is "Home"

Windows login-ids are case-insensitive (but passwords are not).

The Windows Workgroup is redundant in this instance as it's not passed to a workgroup machine - you might want to blank it and see what happens, as otherwise it'll be passing "workgroup\rob" to the PC, which is an invalid pairing.

Pelikal
9th Jan 2013, 12:04
Thanks, I'll be back in a Jiffy or two. I'm not sure which Rob is which at the moment. I seem to have so many:{:{:{:{:{.

Pelikal
9th Jan 2013, 20:57
I've deleted my last post as I have totally missed the point. I can copy files to and from the Mac and the Tosh and it's working well. It's irrelevant that I can't connect from Mac to Tosh. (still like to know why though).

Saab Dastard
9th Jan 2013, 22:23
You have enabled File & Print Sharing on the Tosh and created some shares?

SD

Pelikal
10th Jan 2013, 12:50
SD, I'm fairly sure sharing is set-up on both sides. I have some functionality so I think I'll leave it as it is. Guess is still some kind of permissions thing (error-36). Next step is to connect the HP to the Mac.

Thanks to all for the assistance, I'm further down the line and have learned quite a lot in the past week. For a first attempt at networking, I'm quite chuffed with the result especially as it's Mac OSX 10.3.9 to XP Pro. Cheers!

Mike-Bracknell
10th Jan 2013, 18:28
The one nagging doubt I had regarding the process relates to a registry setting on the XP box to bring the security level on the file sharing down a notch. I had a quick shufty round the web but couldn't find it last night, believing it to relate to some LanManServer settings (but this was all from memory). However, this linked thread should bear a striking resemblance to the question you've been asking (and you can see the answers are roughly on a par). It also starts talking about registry entries in the first post. I don't have an XP box to hand to check the current existence or setting of the registry key, but maybe someone else on here can check for you, if you're unwillling to go that far into technical things:

GUIDE: Networking Windows with OS X - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704)

Pelikal
10th Jan 2013, 18:54
Mike-Bracknell, I had a peruse through the link. Post #455, Error code -36. Does appear that many have had issues the same, or similiar to mine. As I said, at least I can see the Mac from the Toshiba. I will look into that thread in more detail at some stage, it may be old but some useful info no doubt. Thanks again.

Phew! Not just me:confused::confused:

Pelikal
29th Jan 2013, 19:40
Hello all, it's me again with my networking woes. Been fiddling around with other stuff but want to get this networking sorted again. Just a recap so you don't have to wade through all the previous.

I have 3 machines:

A G5 imac running 10.3.9 - Power PC

An old Tosh on XP Pro

An HP dv8000 running Windows 7 Home Premium. This machine has two large drives which I want to copy files to from the Mac and Tosh.

I've succeded in getting my work to the HP from the Tosh. I've been able to connect the Tosh to the Mac although that was a trial to help me learn about networking.

I now really need to hook the HP and Mac. I've had a good bash at it today but haven't got very far at all. Spent much time searching for resolutions but it's like Heinz 57 out there.

Now from the Mac, Go Connect, I can see the name of the HP in the box, but it won't recognise my name/password, same as what happened with the Tosh.

With the Tosh, I was able to connect to the Mac but not the other way around. Not that it mattered, I was able to transfer files.

So I want to concentrate on connecting to the Mac from the HP, and I'm making sod all progress. There is clearly some connection going on.

In network and sharing centre the network is Unidentified network - Work network.

It was originally Public but I managed to change it to Work.

Sharing is on from the Mac side and firewall is off. On the Mac, it says Windows users can connect using \\169.254.1.65\rob. Dumb question is, how do I do this in Win 7? Thanks!!

Milo Minderbinder
29th Jan 2013, 19:58
so the user account on the mac is "rob"
do you have a user account called "rob" on the HP?
if so, are the passwords the same?

Pelikal
29th Jan 2013, 20:30
Milo, yes, the user names and the passwords are the same.

Milo Minderbinder
29th Jan 2013, 20:39
then it should work

if on the PC you go start > run (or search if its Win7) and type in
\\169.254.1.65\
then hit return, what happens?
what happens if you type in
\\169.254.1.65\rob

Saab Dastard
29th Jan 2013, 21:10
It might be worth going back to basics and trying to ping 169.254.1.65.

Hopefully both PCs will be using an APIPA address from the same range.

I presume that this is because they are connected NIC to NIC and are both set to request a DHCP address (and failing, hence APIPA).

SD

Pelikal
29th Jan 2013, 21:10
Ok, it didn't accept that number at first and checked the Mac. Number changed. Tried the new number. Enter Network Password to connect to 169.254.146.98\rob

Enter name/password and get specified network password is not correct.

Maybe the network password is something different....sorry it took a while to come back.

Milo Minderbinder
29th Jan 2013, 21:17
Pelikal

Saab's just pointed something out something that demands a further question......are these two machines being connected machine to machine, or via a router......?

trying to connect two machines and leaving the IP addresses to sort themselves out rarely works - you usually need to fix the IP addresses.

connecting both to a router is a far better idea
However if they ARE connected to a router, then the Mac isn't being allocated an IP address by it. Restart the router, then restart all the computers

I've should have realised that earlier - the 169. address is a giveaway, but didn't think about it 'till Saab commented

However, the last comment in your last post rather suggests that the user names and passwords don't match on the two machines. Nothing to do with separate "network" passwords - that went out with Win9X.

Pelikal
29th Jan 2013, 21:21
Never pinged before though I have ponged. Anyhow, I pinged the number above and it came back with:

packets sent =4, packets received =4 Lost=0.

I don't know what this means but guessing it sent and received ok.

Pelikal
29th Jan 2013, 21:29
Milo and Saab, both machines connected direct, no router. The user name and password are definitely the same. The computer names are different. I said right at the start this is my first attempt at networking but maybe I'm getting a grasp. Thanks.

Pelikal
31st Jan 2013, 17:22
Milo, trying to connect two machines and leaving the IP addresses to sort themselves out rarely works - you usually need to fix the IP addresses

Ok, I don't know how to do this. I'll have a poke about and see what I come up with.

Perhaps I'm just being a fool thinking I can connect an 'old' G5 to a machine running Win7.:(

Saab Dastard
31st Jan 2013, 21:36
Perhaps I'm just being a fool thinking I can connect an 'old' G5 to a machine running Win7

Not at all, your problem is simply a lack of familiarity with the technology, not foolishness.

It doesn't matter how old the device is, if it talks TCP/IP it can talk to anything else using TCP/IP*.

At least at a connection level.

The problems tend to occur higher up the stack, when you try to to get a new application to talk to older kit that may not support that app.

However, SMB / CIFS (which is what we are talking about here) is an established standard, adequately supported by both devices.

You will get there, if you persevere. It's perfectly possible. I can't help with specifics because I haven't worked on a Mac for almost 20 years!

SD

* for the experts, I know I'm ignoring IPv6 here...

mixture
1st Feb 2013, 07:39
Ok, I don't know how to do this. I'll have a poke about and see what I come up with.

On one you setup an IP, say 192.168.113.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.252, on the other 192.168.113.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.252.

There you go, two directly connected computers on the same subnet being told what addresses to use rather than allowing them to unsuccessfully decide between themselves.

Pelikal
1st Feb 2013, 15:44
Thanks both for responses. I'll try a bit harder!

jimjim1
9th Feb 2013, 14:00
You can check what shares your PC is publishing from the command prompt with:-

###
Use your own computername.

C: \Users\jim>set | find /i "computer"
COMPUTERNAME=JIM1

C: \Users\jim>
###

C: \Users\jim>net view \\jim1 /ALL
Shared resources at \\jim1

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
C$ Disk Default share
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
test Disk
Users Disk
The command completed successfully.

The "$" shares are so called hidden shares that do not respond to a remote net view but which can still be used if you know the name.

PS
Your first cable was fine since for ANY sharing to work you need two way communications on the cable.

Oh yes, try with a blank workgroup.