PDA

View Full Version : Time Team tonight A26 dig lancashire.

magpienja
1st Jan 2013, 15:45
Been waiting for this episode of time team to come on again after I missed it last time,

They are looking for the site of 2 crashed A26 bombers on the Lancashire coast,

Discovery History 22.00 and 05.00am.

Nick.

Wyvernfan
2nd Jan 2013, 18:20
Sod it, i missed it. Would appreciate another heads up should it appear on freeview somewhere.

Rob

magpienja
2nd Jan 2013, 18:34
Rob just had a look see if its on youtube....your in luck,

The Bombers in the Marsh, Preston, Lancashire - YouTube

I haven't watched it yet...I recorded it and am looking forward to it....if you also missed the dig for the Spitfire in France that's well worth watching...also on youtube...just loved the poem at the end of the Spitfire prog,

Time Team - YouTube

Nick.

Wyvernfan
2nd Jan 2013, 20:31
Never thought to look on Youtube :ugh:. Thanks Nick, thats tomorrow nights entertainment taken care of.

Rob

oldpax
3rd Jan 2013, 01:03
Pity Time Team dont go for the ultimate prize,the two Westland whirlwind F.Bs somewhere in a bog on Dartmoor!

Tiger_mate
3rd Jan 2013, 05:43
Neither did they go for one of the Intruders that was part of this documentary. Having found where they believe it to be, they dismissed the dig because of an eye witness statement that it had been on fire.

Does anybody know were the recovered bits ended up?

Fishtailed
5th Jan 2013, 16:10
Does anybody know were the recovered bits ended up?

The Lancashire Aircraft Investigation Team had space at the RAF Millom museum, but as this piece from their website explains, not any longer-

August / September 2010: Closure of RAF Millom Museum :-(
The bankruptcy and subsequent closure of the RAF Millom Museum, where most of the LAIT collection of recovered artifacts + much of my personal collection of WWII memorabilia was housed, came as something of a shock - particularly as I was in the South of France on a family holiday at the time! Fortunately other members of LAIT were soon on hand to start dismantling our displays etc. and on my return everyone pulled together and we were able to reclaim the majority of our material. Sadly a few smaller items had gone missing and a substantial amount of recovered material from our Time Team dig (http://laituk.org/Time%20Team.htm), that we believed was safely in storage, had disappeared and may have been scrapped. finally, one of our key items - a complete gun turret - had been dismantled, several important parts lost and then the frame left outside exposed to the elements. Consultation with the liquidators advised us that we should formalise these losses by declaring ourselves as creditors which we have reluctantly done, but feel we are unlikely achieve anything through this.

magpienja
6th Jan 2013, 20:59
Watched it tonight...quite enjoyed it.