PDA

View Full Version : Start-up Airlines in Jamaica

BlueSkyLife
1st Jan 2013, 13:57
:ugh:

Ok, so the news have hit almost everyone, that Fly Jamaica with it's B757 will be up and running for ticket sales starting this month.:D
I wish them all the best so there will be jobs, economic growth, and that piece of Jamaica that flies again. I hope Fly Jamaica gets flag carrier status and the government does away with the "Carbon Copy" Air Jamaica that still flies our flag with a disgrace and mistreatment to our people and foreigners:*

Came across another start-up carrier that seem to have some potential, since they do regular updates to their site it seems. Jamaica Queen Airlines seem to be conducting interviews this month, which means that they mean business.

For those jobless graduates from Wings, CAC and foreign institutes that live in Jamaica, hoping and praying everyday. May you all be blessed this New year for success and prosperity.

Happy New Year folks.
Let the rumours begin!

BlueSkyLife
3rd Jan 2013, 13:39
Smile Jamaica - Fly Jamaica is ready to soar (http://www.televisionjamaica.com/Programmes/SmileJamaica.aspx/Videos/23107)

sea
4th Jan 2013, 11:22
It is so strange that most Jamaican's don't know that caribbean airlines has a local base in Jamaica that is totaly Jamaican.
So all north american flights to Toronto,New York and Fort lauderale are crewed by JAMAICAN'S.
It is also of interest that the Jamaican goverment owns a part of Caribbean Airlines.
Good luck and all the best to Fly Jamaica in 2013.

Zigzoggafus
5th Jan 2013, 19:38
I agree, it's a strange mentality in Jamaica.
Whereas I understand that there's a certain amount of hurt that goes along with losing your flag carrier, you have to, at some point, accept that it was due in no small part to the employees sucking the company dry to the tune of 150 million US$ each and every year.
The IMF finally made good on their threats of no longer supporting a country with such a drain on their economy and the Jamaican government found a willing sucker in the megalomaniac Patrick Manning to take AJ off its hands.
So now Trinidadian taxpayers are supporting the Jamaican diaspora who, in return are boycotting Caribbean Airlines because it is wrongly perceived that Trinidadians have thrown out all the Jamaican employees. Nothing could be further from the truth, in fact all the Jamaica based pilots, flight attendants, engineers and ground staff are still Jamaican.
Actually if anything, Trinidadians have been displaced by Jamaicans. I believe the head of HR in Trinidad is a Jamaican. Almost all of the engineers in JFK are now Jamaican.

It really is counter productive because if the Jamaica base continues to hemorrhage money, it runs the risk it will be shut down and more Jamaicans will be out of work.

Politically the Jamaica base has become very unpopular in Trinidad.

BlueSkyLife
6th Feb 2013, 20:33
Fly Jamaica is up and running. Lets cheer them on.
Fly Jamaica (http://www.fly-jamaica.com/)

airjet
8th Feb 2013, 13:39
1st i want to wish "fly Jamaica" all the very best, most of thier top management are old friends, as regards cal/air jam i have to back up zigzog although i am not particularly fond of Cal,--the bottom line that Jamaicans seem not too want to accept is that cal staff didn`t want this anymore than they did, but without Trinidads money Air Jamaica would have been shut down with complete job loss. If the senseless bickering continues Cal might shed the albatross, which will be great for fly jamaica lol. so maybe there is some method in the Jamaicans madness:ok:

yardman
18th Feb 2013, 07:57
Anyone know what the terms and conditions are like at Fly Jamaica?

Curry Goat
19th Feb 2013, 03:03
Yardy. I would guess that it would be about 25% of what you on now. Things that bad on the 330?:O