PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this?

BlueDiamond
16th Apr 2002, 13:35
When I acquired my pilot.pprune.com e-mail address, I set up my name and password according to the instructions.

Acting on the principle that it is wise to change passwords from time to time, I recently set a new password (same user name) and did not tick the "remember me" box as I didn't want the information stored.

The last couple of times I have opened pprune mail, it has reverted to the old setting and my old password still lets me in. (This information WAS ticked to be remembered).

I had assumed that when I set a new password, the old information would have been deleted but apparently this is not the case. How do I get rid of the old stuff?

I admit to being a retard where computers are concerned, so instructions in words of one syllable would be appreciated!

:D :confused:

FL310
16th Apr 2002, 14:15
There are several ways of doing this, but first of all, can you get into PPrUne with your new password as well? This should not be the case!

Here for PPRuNe your password is actually cached with a cookie.
To remove it the easiest in Internet Explorer is to click on TOOLS --> INTERNET OPTIONS and than in the middle on DELETE COOKIES.
This way you delete all your cookies and you need to re-tyoe your password on any website where this procedure was followed.

There are of course other procedures as well but, to explain them, I need more knowledge about your operating system. What are you using and which browser?

BlueDiamond
16th Apr 2002, 14:51
Thanks, FL310. It's only the e-mail log on that I want to set straight, I have a different logon and password for pprune itself.

What is happening - and I'll try to make the explanation simple - is that my original logon details for e-mail which I ticked for the computer to remember, will not go away. Sometimes when I log on to my server and open pprune mail, I get the "screen" I want with two blank fields. When I type in the first letter of my logon, one choice automatically appears. I click on this and it is entered into the first field. The second field remains blank and into this I enter my password. This field does NOT automatically complete itself which is exactly how I want it.

At other times when I log on to the server and open pprune mail, I get another opening "screen". I know this because when I type in the first letter of my logon, it presents me with TWO choices. I know that this is my original information (which I ticked for the computer to remember) because the second choice is a spelling mistake which I made the first time I used the e-mail service and I never discovered how to delete it. (The box is now unticked.)

I "select" the username and it is entered into the first field but the second field in this case is NOT blank, it contains little stars for the password. This is, however, my NEW password which I definitely do not want to appear. The box remains UNTICKED to tell the computer I don't want this information retained.

So, I'm not quite sure what has happened. On the one screen I have to enter the password as I should but on the other, which I want to get rid of, the password is there and it shouldn't be as the memory box is unticked.

I did the "delete cookie" thing you described and it hasn't made any difference.

I am using Windows 98 and Internet Explorer ... is this any help???

pilot-lite
16th Apr 2002, 16:10
I'm not entirely sure that this is what you mean, but if you click on Tools -> Internet Options -> "Content" tab -> "Auto Complete" button -> "Clear Passwords" button, then *all* your passwords stored by Explorer will be deleted.

Alternatively, click on the empty first field box, and your two previously entered logons should drop down. Just click on the one you don't want and press the delete key to remove it.

Hope this helps

pilot-lite

Forgot to say that this is with IE6. Your mileage may vary.