PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Moorabbin rumour

VH-XXX
30th Dec 2012, 04:36
Can anyone confirm this? It sounds like a bit of a laugh if true!

I may have heard on the grape-vine, that last week a well known pilot visiting Moorabbin may have parked his Continental powered 6 seater at the base of the control tower, put on the handbrake, chocked a single wheel and headed into Skylines to pick up the latest Melbourne VNC which he didn't have..... :ok:... ... with the engine still running and nobody in the aircraft! :oh: :=

Capt Claret
30th Dec 2012, 05:22
Dunno about that but in about '91 or '92 whilst based in Dubbo I recall seeing a turbine ag aircraft at the base of the old FSU "tower", prop spinning in feather, and no one on board! :eek:

Frank Arouet
30th Dec 2012, 05:56
Some never learn from old dog's.

The Runaway Auster - Story of a pilotless aeroplane (http://tusitalatom.hubpages.com/hub/The-Runaway-Auster-Story-of-a-pilotless-aeroplane)

Arnold E
30th Dec 2012, 06:47
I recall seeing a turbine ag aircraft at the base of the old FSU "tower", prop spinning in feather, and no one on board! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

I have seen that a couple of times myself, although, not in front of an FSU.:cool:

Cessna 180
30th Dec 2012, 08:10
Or the bloke whom on his commercial test when asked by the testing officer to get the plane ready taxied over to the clubhouse left her running with the handbrake on and went inside and and said ready sir.

Lasiorhinus
30th Dec 2012, 08:38
Did he pass?

Cessna 180
30th Dec 2012, 08:47
Well, the testing officer was in a good mood so thought he would give him another chance.
Lets just day they were starting in Ballarat heading for Bendigo. When they crossed the coast that was the final straw.

havick
30th Dec 2012, 09:19
VH-XXX.... get a life, seriously, you're starting to sound like grandpa simpson... starting with the hobart yacht race thread, now this..

VH-XXX
30th Dec 2012, 09:49
Grandpa Simpson eh?

Can anyone confirm this? It sounds like a bit of a laugh if true!

For those that are wondering what the "Hobart yacht race thread" is about, I asked if it was legal for a piston powered Robinson 44 to operate out off the heads off Sydney to be hovering low next to a yacht filming WITHOUT floats. I was geniunely surprised to find that floats are not required for airwork.

Perhaps you should get a life and a great time would be at midnight tomorrow night - a fresh one for the new year.

4by2withears
31st Dec 2012, 01:52
So what is the problem Arnold? It is permited under Part 137.125 Aerial Application Operations.
(2) If an aeroplane engaged in an application operation is on the ground with the

engine running, the pilot in command must be at the controls unless:

(a) the pilot is refuelling the aeroplane in accordance with the operations

manual; or

(b) the following apply:

(i) the pilot remains near the aeroplane;

(ii) the wheel brakes are locked and, if practicable, the wheels are

chocked;

(iii) the aeroplane’s power controls are friction locked and, if possible,

the propeller is feathered;

(iv) the engine is retarded to idle and, if possible, ground idle.

Ixixly
31st Dec 2012, 01:57
Just an idea 4by2withears, look up Aerial Application Operation...before everyone really does think you're thick as a plank of wood...

4by2withears
31st Dec 2012, 02:18
Ixixly old chap. That part I pasted was from the Aerial Applications Operations Part 137. If you have a problem with the regs take it out with the regulator. Just don't come getting personal online sunshine. That part is the regulations catching up with reality and recognising that ag pilots function in the real world and not some nanny state.

Neville Nobody
31st Dec 2012, 02:36
Hullooo 4by, can I call you that? I find it hard to believe the regulator is catching up with reality, next thing you'll be telling us is those cropdusters know what their doing :8 Truth is they fly around in single engine turbines and you know (According to some on this site) how dangerous that is :hmm:

Lucerne
31st Dec 2012, 02:42
Havic and 4x2withears, I appreciate your comments sooooo much as they are also the thoughts that I had myself when reading this pointles thread. I think the Moorabin boys need to get out and about a little more.

The real issue is that we all operate in the real world. Unfortunately some do so with some sort of blinkers on and then create threads such as this.

Perhaps the "well known pilot" had a reason to leave her running. That would be a logical thought. That fact that he is well known might be a result of the fact that he has been around for a while and operates in that real world.

Lucerne
31st Dec 2012, 02:43
I wish there was a "Like" button on this thing Neville!!

4by2withears
31st Dec 2012, 02:44
Yes Nev. It is so bloody dangerous that we have to climb out of the cockpit every couple of hours if for no other reason than to have a nervous one.

Lucerne
31st Dec 2012, 02:46
Some of us even land on the grass! :rolleyes:

Ultralights
31st Dec 2012, 03:11
Grass!!! Luxuuury...

i have a recent liking to red dirt, covered in old broken glass middens. surrounded by lots of well, large beef cattle.. all in 300 mtrs... ;)

Neville Nobody
31st Dec 2012, 03:15
Single engine turbine? Landing on the grass? Next thing you'll be telling me they fly round at night!!!!! Cropdusters, just because they fly round at 2 metres, have 10's of thousands of hours, are all extremely good looking (Except for that red headed one), can fly all day with an accuracy of under a metre and single handedly save the farming community they think they know everything...........phhhhut :8

4by2withears
31st Dec 2012, 03:35
Eihh. And do it for 25 hours a day, 8 days a week and all on a plate of cold porridge. (or a packet of instant noodles)http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif