PDA

View Full Version : Attention Professional Travellers

stewardess007
16th Apr 2002, 03:51
I am travelling to Thailand soon from Australia. As you are all so well informed I thought I would throw a few questions out there. 1) I belive there is a discount luggage place in Botany (SYD) anyone know any details or should I wait till I get to Bangkok?
2) Are there any needles that I should get before I travel?
3) Where is the best place to get your travellers cheques? That will give a discount to airline staff.
4) I would like to get some clothes made, is it necessary to take photos or will there be a range to choose from?
5) Anything or areas I should worry about?

I know that there is bound to be someone in here that knows all the answers!

christep
16th Apr 2002, 04:22
I find that http://www.wtgonline.com is a pretty good source of general information when going to visit new places.

Specifically on the travellers cheques, having travelled all over the world on business and pleasure for the last 5 years I have never ever had any need for them. Very few places that I have come across which can handle travellers cheques don't also have at least one of an ATM (cash machine) or ability to accept credit cards. I believe that you generally get the best exchange deals on automatic transactions like this anyway. If you have, say, a bank ATM card connected to Cirrus, and a Visa credit card (which will also work on the Plus network) then you shouldn't have much difficulty. Having a couple of hundred US$ in cash hidden away for emergencies is probably a good idea. Note that some places give better exchange rates for (new-series) US$100 notes than for smaller denominations.

raejones
17th Apr 2002, 12:36
Thailand is a great place - you'll love it.

As for vacinations etc. you should be fine if your sticking to the major cities such as Bangkok or Chaing Mai or the coastal/beech resorts. If your planning on going 'Up Country' then you'll need to take a course of anti-malarial tablets. You need to start these about 1 month before you go, take them whilst your there, and then for a week or so after you return home.

As for Bangkok airport I'd recommend that you keep hold of the pax portion of your boarding card as they have been known to request to see it before you even get out of the air-bridge. (This is especially true if the flight your on is refuelling before going on elsewhere) It can be a real pain after a long flight to have to route around for something like that. Plus it means that while everyone else is searching for theirs you can nip straight through and be first in line for immigration. If you don't happen to be first in the queue for immigration I'd recommend you carry on walking up the terminal building a little further and find another queue (the first is normally the busiest and you can often find that the ones further along will be almost empty)

After you've collected your baggage and cleared customs you will be inundated with requests for 'Taxi' or 'Hotel' from people in the arrivals hall. I'd strongly recommend avoiding all of these with a polite but firm 'No Thankyou' and proceed straight outside to hail a 'Taxi-Meter' into the centre of Bangkok. This in itself can be an interesting experience depending on what time of day your flight arrives. I'd pre-book some accomodation before you get there as well because your 'Friendly' taxi driver will almost certainly know a 'Good Hotel' (There is nothing sinister going on here but he'll just get money from them if he takes tourists there)

As for having clothes made then you will be spoilt for choice - there are loads of places - its hard to avoid them really.

I could go on all day about this country & city - feel free to mail me if you want any more info - have a great time!

taba
17th Apr 2002, 14:07

In BKK:

Just keep your wits about you and don't drape yourself in gold!

I enjoyed walking along Sukhamvit Road, rather than go to all the other markets. You'll find everything along here and there are a few cooling off places on the side streets for a cold Singha beer.

The Beer Garden about Soi 7 (i think) has a good menu and mixed crowd, plus a bloody great parrot! The Londoner underneath Boots and the Black Bull Soi 33/1 are also good for a varied menu and a good atmosphere.

A lot of the outside bars attract the girls, but they don't really bother other girls so you should be fine!!

Try the Seafood Market Silom Road for great food.

If you want to see any "shows" for the sake of it, Patpong is a rip off. Patpong 2 is cheaper and more relaxed, whilst Na Na plaza is a good laugh as well, with no real hassle, a couple of good bars in Lucky Lukes and Woodstock plus a buzzing atmosphere...some good restaurants around the area as well!

Good luck and enjoy!

:D

Taba

Cart_tart
17th Apr 2002, 14:59
AHHHHH Thailand. My favourite country in the world!!! Have been there many a time on holidays and am planning another trip back there later this year.
Bangkok is GREAT. Very exciting, very cheap, very smelly and VERY polluted. The last 2 aren't so great but the city is excellent so that over rides the last 2 in my books anyway!
To answer your questions....

1. Dont live in SYD so don't really know about luggage. Are you crew? I know strandbags offers cabin crew 10% discount on production of your ID card.
2. Needles...not too sure. I'd have tetnus updated if it's been a while. Contact Travellers Medical and Vaccination Centre (TMVC). They're apparentally australia wide so you should be able to find one in the yellow pages.
3. Amex offer commission free but it was either only for AUD or USD I can't remember. Generally you get a better exchange rate when you use ATM's to get money out of your account back home. Take some emergency travellers cheques though in case you lose your card. Make sure your card is CIRRUS or PLUS before you leave. Perhaps open a new account and get a new card before you leave so that if you lose your card or it gets stolen you don't lose all your worldly money! Also when you're using a credit card for purchases in dept stores - FOLLOW THE SALES PERSON!!! They walk away with your card to get it processed elsewhere and they have been known to take an imprint of the card and use the numbers fraudulently.
4. POPS Tailor is an excellent one and was used by a lot of QF cabin crew. I'm not sure if they are still around because I havent' been for quite a few years. They were a little bit more pricey than other tailors around but the quality was 100% better! I can't remember where they are. I think I still have a card around somewhere so I will have a look and get back to you. Otherwise your hotel should be able to find out.
5. Just be wary as you would be in any foreign country. Don't keep things in your pockets cause pick pockets are rampant. Most importantly have a great time!! Thai's are beautiful people, very friendly and always willing to help. And despite what people say EAT FROM THE STREET VENDORS...just make sure the food is cooked in front of you. It is BRILLIANT YUM YUM. There is a restaurant called Cabbages & Condoms - again I can't remember where exactly - somewhere around Soi 12 on Sukhumvit Rd. It is a very interesting place and the food isnt bad.
Have a ball. I'm very jealous! Email me if you have any questions.
luv ct

stewardess007
18th Apr 2002, 10:50
Thanks for all of the info guys. With clothing do I need to take photo's?

raejones
18th Apr 2002, 11:40
If you are after something very specific then yes I would take photo's. Although they will have lots to choose and take ideas from.