PDA

View Full Version : humor me a bit.. if you could

briansommers
26th Dec 2012, 14:36
I'm trying to write an aviation charter business simulation and having quite a time of it..

Could a student who just got out of school with his ATP etc.. could they open up there own charter company if they wanted to? (now I'm not talking opening up a NetJets type of charter but more of a small one person show, like Rose Air etc) I'm going to guess from what I've been studying so far that yes its possible, I guess the next best question.. how likely is it?

who are the people who do open up their own charter companies? What kind of experience flying and otherwise do they have?

thanks.

zondaracer
26th Dec 2012, 19:38
Typically when a student finishes school, they only have approximately 200 to 300 hours and only have a commercial license, not an ATP. An ATP in most countries requires a minimum of 1500 hours.

In the US (since I see that you are in Florida), a charter business is typically operated under part 135 rules. Part 135 rules have the following minimums to act as pilot in command:
PIC requirements:

VFR:
Commercial Pilot with instrument rating or ATP
500 TT, 100 XC, 25 night XC

IFR:
Commercial Pilot with instrument rating or ATP
1200TT, 500 XC, 100 night, 75 instrument (of which 50 are in flight)

There are also other requirements required to operate a part 135 operation, which you can find outlined here:
Federal Aviation Regulations - Index of Part 135: OPERATING REQUIREMENTS: COMMUTER AND ON-DEMAND OPERATIONS AND RULES GOVERNING PERSONS ON BOARD SUCH AIRCRAFT (http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/135-index.shtml)

So, as a short answer... no, someone who recently graduates out of flight school can not just start up a charter company. Well, I guess they could front the money and some brains, find a chief pilot, do the hiring, etc... But a one man charter business operated by a fresh CPL holder is not going to happen.

What a low hour pilot fresh out of school in the USA CAN do (with a flight instructor rating) is start giving flying lessons as an independent instructor, essentially being a one man pilot school.