PDA

View Full Version : An Open Question for Stagger

Herc Jerk
16th Apr 2002, 01:45
1) If you’re going to install Norton Antivirus on a Windows 2000 SP2 system running IE 6 make sure you disable the Norton “Script Blocking” facility before you establish a dial-up connection.

2) Do not install Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 on a Windows 2000 SP2 system – it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

3) If you do make the mistake of installing this Roxio software on a Windows 2000 SP2 then NEVER try to install/upgrade the Intel Ultra ATA drivers. Don’t even think about it!

The above quoted from Stagger's post in another thread...

It seems i have a very similar setup- Win2K (fresh install fully updated from MS website), NU2002 (incl norton AV)- installed without Clean Sweep and Win Doctor(because i think they are more trouble than they are worth:)), USB CDRW with Roxio Easy CD Creator 4.0- not installed yet, plus etc's.

1) What trouble did you have with the Script blocking? Mine has produced no problems yet (that i know of!)?

2)Before this fresh install i had the easy CD 4.0 installed. With a data CD everything was fine, but i am in the process of copying our music CDs to my HD and i found that after copying 1 or 2 CD's my cumfuter would start to lose the plot... ie the processor would wind up near 100% and the interrupts would wind up to about 1500 (idles about 100) and both would continue to fluctuate wildly after stopping the copy and shutting down WMP. The only thing to do was to reboot. I had thought it was a problem with my onboard DVD-Rom, but now you mention it, it also happened when i tried to copy using the USB CDRW. Is this similar to what happened with yours? If so, i will use the CD Creator disk as a coaster and find another program to drive my CDRW. Any suggestions?

3) What are "Intel Ultra ATA drivers" and would i have them? I am guessing i do as i have an Intel P3 650mhz... is this right?

Does uninstalling the Roxio program fix the problem? I ask as my Girl's computer is pretty much exactly the same as mine and it still has the program on it... it hasn't produced any problems yet, but then again the program hasn't been used!

Thanks for any and all replies!!

HJ

GeneralElectric
16th Apr 2002, 08:51
Hey Herc, couldn't resist a cheeky reply here too....

I use Nero Burning Rom for the CDRW - it's a cracking bit of software which has never crashed / created coasters since I started using it. Works on my Windows 2000, XP, 98 and Me.

Here's the link:

http://www.ahead.de/

... and providing you're not using the DirectCD thingy with Roxio (which I have to admit I use regularly at work), you should uninstall the darn thing completely.

Although EZ-CD is quite nice looking, it's just for show IMHO and conceals some very "flaky" programming. :eek:

I'm sure Stagger will add to this thread and provide more info!!

Cheers

stagger
16th Apr 2002, 09:33
Herc Jerk

1) What trouble did you have with the Script blocking? Mine has produced no problems yet (that i know of!)?
Runnning Win2K SP2 and IE 6.0 on a Dell C600 Latitude laptop I found that with script blocking enabled as soon as I established a dial-up connection and IE began to load a page I would get a blue screen and the system would power itself off. With script blocking disabled this never happens. This was an extremely replicable problem. And aside from this my laptop never crashes.

A quick search of some newsgroups revealed that others have had similar problems. I haven't bothered to try to establish the exact nature of the problem - just turned of the script blocking option.

No problems at all with the script blocking feature on my desktop (Dell Dimension 4100) with same OS and software (but no modem / dialup).

stagger
16th Apr 2002, 12:20
The Roxio software has caused me a lot more trouble.

I was running Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.04_D11 and DirectCD 3.04_D11 on my Dell Dimension 4100 (Win2K SP2) with no problems.

Adaptec's CD recording software is now supported by its subsidiary Roxio - who have released updated versions. So I thought I'd try Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0

Big mistake, but with hindsight I should have checked on the Roxio site because they are fairly open about the problems this software can cause.

Lose all access to CD-ROM, CD-RW or DVD drives after installation/uninstallation of Roxio software - description here (http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=000505-000000)

Interference between DirectCD and Easy CD creator - description here (http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=pZANlNcg&p_lva=&p_refno=990419-000011&p_created=924555131&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTIwOSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVd pbmRvd3MgMjAwMCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9NyZwX3B yb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx 0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=)

After installing and then unstalling I lost access my CD-ROM and CD-RW. I corrected this problem and then ran into another much worse one when I tried installing again...

Roxio state on their site...
After installing the Intel Ultra ATA Storage Driver 6.0 with Easy CD Creator OEM version 4.02c installed on a Windows 2000 system, you may experience the "Blue Screen Error - Inaccessible Boot Device Error".

This information applies to the following product(s):

- Easy CD Creator Deluxe 4.x Suite
- Intel. Ultra ATA Storage Driver ver 6.0

This information applies to the following Operating System(s):

- Windows 2000
While Roxio offer no solutions to this they do give some advice on how to prevent the problem - they suggest that it shouldn't happen with version 4.05 but this is exactly what happened to me version 5.0!!!

In the end I had to reinstall Windows 2000 - I used the repair option so all my program settings were preserved but it was still a major pain.

Herc Jerk
17th Apr 2002, 08:47
Thanks for your replies Stagger. And thanks for posting that stuff in the other thread- it was a close thing as i wasn't far off re-installing that stuff. If you've also been reading the other thread where JJ has been leading me around by the nose:D ... by the end of my tussle with the virtual memory i was, as you've said, unable to access my DVD and the CDRW progressively ground to a halt- luckily it was over half way through backing up the last file i wanted... phew!!

JJ, what else can i say? You're a legend mate!

HJ