PDA

View Full Version : microsoft frontpage

cloudskimmer
15th Apr 2002, 23:48
well i am well f**ked off.. having built a website using frontpage( i know your all shouting you wan***) what you used that for , but i found it easier than dreamweaver.. anyway its built on my hardrive and everytime i try to upload to my webspace is says "frontpage extensions not accepted " or something down those lines......what is wrong with it ..its microsoft for gawds sake i thought everything liked microsoft....and i cant find any webspace that does accept frontpage so some dude on here must know how to help me or a cure for my problem.......and another point is i have a domain name at a certain webspace provider is it possible to move it if i find a suitable provider that accepts frontpage extensions

idgas
16th Apr 2002, 00:11
Try Force9

Front Page Extensions etc. and ADSL all at low cost

Force 9 (http://www.force9.net)

Cheers :)

FL310
16th Apr 2002, 00:19
Several points. A website created in Frontpage needs to be placed on a server with the Frontpage Extensions activated. You have already discovered that. Since I do not know your provider, you need to check the package you have. Very often it is a simple call or mail request and the extensions will be activated immediately.

If this is not possible, you will check on how to get out of your contract before you start spending money again. If you decide for a new hosting service, there is somewhere a place where you signed up for the name you have, and either on their website or via mail or via phone you can transfer your name to the new host with just supplying the new details.

If you received your name free of any charge while signing up during the start-up of the flat rate (like Force9 etc...and they do not keep their promise as hundreds will confirm) than you still can transfer but they will charge you for this.

If you do not get the extensions and you still do not want to spend the additional money than there is only one way, load your creation into Dreamweaver (or anything else) and alter and clean up the HTML and publish it this way.

cloudskimmer
16th Apr 2002, 00:43
my server is geocities and i have had no response after i asked them if they do frontpage server extensions....i have also searched the net for frontpage servers and ive had no look ..if you know of any please let me know..i am looking into if i can have my domain name moved ,,and yes i did pay for it

idgas
16th Apr 2002, 00:45
FL310

(like Force9 etc...and they do not keep their promise as hundreds will confirm)

It's late.. I've had a couple but I've not had a problem, at all, with Force 9 over the last three years.

I think, if at all possible one should stay clear of FP extensions, but at times it''s the easy option.. Now can you advise me on PHP and CGI.. I need all the help I can get

Cheers, :)

Opps.. I could have sounded condesending. You, FL310, give some of the best advice posted on this forum and have got out of the mire on more than one occassion... Thanks

FL310
16th Apr 2002, 08:19
idgas, I am right now sitting on a major PHP project...no, I am not the expert on this but we will discover this as well.

There are some pretty good books around, onne is called Dynamic Websites and written by Milan Krizanek ISBN 3-908491
It has a CD with it and you find samples as well as all required software on it, good and easy to read.

Download the lastest MySql server and read the instructions, search for PHP and find some most helpful guides and instructions, get a good editor (someone mentioned a couple of days ago a good link) and most of it is actually free available.

Check your host for providing the necessary gadgets and simply try and do.

There are free bulletin boards, guestbooks to use...newsgroups and PHP discussion boards are also around and provide a lot of help, much more than I can do.

Good luck

somewhatconcerned
18th Apr 2002, 00:47
Try Freeola (http://www.freeola.com) for free web space and to host your current domain name.

2 catches

1 you have to buy a domain name from a sister company.(getdotted.com, I got a .co.uk for 15 quid)

2 you have to connect to the freeola number to transfer your files but they explain how to manualy set up a connection so there is no nasty setup software involved.

They do accept front page extensions (I built my first web site using Front Page) though and have a handy non premium rate help number for people like me who never read instructions properly.:D