PDA

View Full Version : Uh, I would like to say ....

RW-1
15th Apr 2002, 23:44
Thanks to everyone here for being around. :)

Today I made the transition:

I am now a Commercial Pilot: Rotorcraft - Helicopter, with Private Pilot Privileges: Airplane - Single Engine Land.

!!!! YEE HAA !!!!

I'm tired, and it's been a long day, I'll post the "You are there" kinda stuff likely tomorrow.

I'm so happy to tell you all, for those where I work would not appreciate the significance of today's events in the slightest.

squawk1181
16th Apr 2002, 00:01
Congratulations!!!
Have a drink and celebrate. It's a big day!

Thomas coupling
16th Apr 2002, 01:07
Congrats - RW...enjoy:)

Kiwi Skiv
16th Apr 2002, 09:02
Well done,A day you will remember for ever.....Hope you have a few cold ones to celebrate.:D :D

212man
16th Apr 2002, 09:54
Congratulations, and best of luck with the next stage(s).:cool:

Vfrpilotpb
16th Apr 2002, 19:12
Hi RW,

Even though I have E,d you I would like to say , Very well done, remember Terra Firma is still unforgiving, What are you going to do next with this new ticket to fly?

My Best regards

Peter B:D :cool:

RW-1
16th Apr 2002, 19:34
Hi Pete!

A good question ... got your E already.

Well, I'm looking at continuing to get comfortable in the Robbie, to where my instincts in flying it are second nature.

I myself would like to do CFI next, however going back up to above, it might be more benificial for me to grab my instrument ticket. the thought also runs that with my inst, even at a low time commercial, I become easier to ensure for a prospective employer, and likely would fly better to boot.

The other side of that coin is could I get something? I'm happy to be a "Captain" (Thanks :) ) but it's still another 100 hours until I could instruct if I had CFI, and as for work.... I think that's still a bit off unless I have someone who might take me on time building.

To be honest, I'm torn. I'd like to get to a point where I can begin building time (more importantly experience) quickly, but would also like to do it smart. With limited cash flow I'd hate to go in the wrong direction (not literally, figuratively, getting INST or CFI can't hurt either way). Mike and I will look at $$$ and what will be best for me in the long run and go that route.

I see a EAA pancake Breakfast and Young eagles Rally on May 11th at an airport nearby, and would like to go fly up to it, that's a nice thought.

I'm going to relax for the next couple of weeks though hehe ...
I've earned it.

whatsarunway
16th Apr 2002, 22:01
well done

now you will really start to learn about helis
and remember , you never stop learning!

Congrats Again!!

Ciao!:)

Dave Jackson
16th Apr 2002, 22:03
Cong ratulations http://www.unicopter.com/7up.gif

HeliEng
16th Apr 2002, 22:17
RW-1

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well done mate. Very well done. All the toiling and it's all done. Now the learning REALLY starts!

You never know, we may see you up here on the North Sea in a few flying hours time!!

Take care and fly safe.

"Some days you are the pigeon, some days you are the statue!"

RW-1
17th Apr 2002, 15:09
Thanks again everyone.

A discussion now ... What next?

I'm torn between going straight to CFI (manuvers similar, fresh, etc.)

and getting my Inst Rating next (makes me more markatable, easier to insure for an operator)

Know I'm funds limited.... I'm leaning to the Instrument, for the plain fact is that to instruct I need 200 hours, and the inst will get me partway there, plus I might get picked up for some commercial ops for time building more quickly if I have the inst ....

What do you all think ?

heedm
17th Apr 2002, 17:22
RW-1,

Congrats! Although there's a lot of learning still to be found, that first step is normally the most significant.

Where to next? I'm not a part of the industry, but whatever you do, immerse yourself in things helicopter. Get as much time doing flying that you know is within your capability. If that means renting and joy riding, then do it.

As far as which tickets to get next, I'm of the opinion that no training is a bad thing. Instrument training is useful even if you never fly an instrument rated craft...the knowledge and technique may just come in handy. Long lining teaches precision flying. I've always felt that instructing is one of the best ways of learning.

With fiscal realities I'd say figure which job will pay the bills AND get you flying the most AND will help lead to the job you're ultimately looking for.

Cheers,

Whirlybird
18th Apr 2002, 01:38
Hey Marc, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!:) :) :) :)

I'm in LA so it's the first chance I've had to read the forums for ages. I'm very happy for you.

My advice, for what it's worth? Stay on Cloud Nine for a bit and worry about the future later. :D

Steve76
18th Apr 2002, 02:15
Onya Marc,
How about forgetting the IFR rating + the Instructor rating and just looking for a job.
You are fortunate that opportunities in the states are good for low time guys. Try to find some photo work
Honestly in my opinion the IFR is not really applicable until much later and the instructor job is just a diversion to a flying job elsewhere.
Again .... Onya Mate!:D

RW-1
18th Apr 2002, 13:15
Thanks gang!

I'm always looking for the first job, but will continue to fly, build time and train as well.

Onwards and upwards they say !

Buitenzorg
19th Apr 2002, 03:04
Marc,

Onya, mate. Walk around for a few days with your chest puffed out, you’ve earned it. Remembering the day I passed the CPL checkride, I remember mostly the sense of anti-climax. Sure, nice to have passed, but it was all of a sudden painfully clear to me how little I knew, and how much more I had to learn…

What next? My advice, for what it’s worth. Unless you have really good contacts, and I mean personal, in an organization where you could fly as a low-time co-pilot, fuggeddabahtit. Everyone has heard about someone who got lucky like that, but then everyone’s heard about the rear-gunner who bailed out of a Lancaster sans parachute and landed in a big snowdrift….

Get ready for, and get positive about, instructing. It’s a great way of building knowledge, skills, and yes, contacts too. My advice would be to start your CFI training first. This will also help a bit with the cashflow thingy since you will start off with ground school and preparing and practicing lesson plans, which won’t be too expensive. When you have a grasp of the psychology and techniques of teaching you will then start practicing flight instructing – very challenging! Getting the CFI will not involve very much flying but it’ll be some of the toughest and most rewarding training you’ll do.

After you get the CFI, work on your IR, and since you already know teaching techniques etc., you can concurrently work towards the CFII. If you do both at the same time, the CFII training will cost you minimal extra $$$ to complete, and it may very well be the difference between you or another guy getting an instructing job. If your FL school needs a Robinson picked up at the factory after overhaul, see if you can go. Should be good for about 30 hours of great cross-country time, and since it needs to be flown anyway, they’ll probably give you a break on the $$$. If an instructing job opens up in the meantime, grab it!!! Don’t let an opportunity slip away, say I sadder but wiser. But you’ll need 200 hours helo time to teach in R22s, which are used by almost every school, so you may as well fill those hours with serious training rather than just joypops.

Currently there’s a serious shortage of CFIs in the US, so get out the resumes as soon as or just before you qualify, be ready and willing to move anywhere for a job, and you’ll soon have that exquisite privilege of being paid to fly. Who knows, you may find you like teaching so much that you’ll want to do it long-term; in that case there’s the LSSI contract at Ft. Rucker, teaching Army pilots primary and IFR in OD JetRangers.

helmet fire
23rd Apr 2002, 08:16
Onya mate.

Well done. Cherish that feeling of accomplishment.

Good luck with the biggest hurdle of all - the first job!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

whissper
24th Apr 2002, 19:44
Just my $0.02 worth.

Congratulations and enjoy. Keep flying and immerse yourself in the world of helicopters and aviation. Maybe time to do ATPL(H)?

Just don't do what I did and let it lapse. Now I'm in the awkward position of trying to convert a South Pacific peso type license to JAR-FCL CPL(H). Nightmare and expensive.

Safe flying

Whissper