PDA

View Full Version : Levelling out

Cloudwatcher
17th Jul 2001, 16:34
I'm currently in the early stages of my PPL,
(only 6 hours),my biggest problem so far is levelling out at the correct altitude, I'm following the attitude, power, trim routine but still find I'm a 50 to 100 ft off the mark each time. Any advice ? Please ?

Polar_stereographic
17th Jul 2001, 16:39
Keep at it. The more you do the easier they get. If you still don't crack it, try an hour with a diferent instructor, not because your's is not up to it, it's just that you'll get a different slant on the problem.

Enjoy

PS

RVR800
17th Jul 2001, 17:43
1 Lower nose attitude and then hold
2 - - - WAIT FOR SPEED TO INCREASE 70-90kts
3 Power reduction 2500 - - > 2300
4 Trim carefully

- - - AND STOP FIXATING ON THE INSTRUMENTS

Look Outside - its easier

HOPE THAT HELPS

Cloudwatcher
17th Jul 2001, 17:54
Thanx RVR800 I must admit I do tend to watch the altimeter......I'll try harder, seriously though does it matter if you do go a few ft over or under(i.e. 20-30ft)would I fail in my final flight check, or not?

Tinstaafl
17th Jul 2001, 18:06
+/- 50 to 100 ft is fine. Accuracy will come with practice and then will fall off while you focus on the next learning task. Then it will come back while doing whatever the 'new' task is then it will fall off at the following new task etc etc...

If you find you're consistently 50' or 100' or whatever too high or low ie the same error then start your control input slightly sooner (if always high) or later (if always low).

You might also find that if you are consistantly climbing above the target altitude then a **ROUGH** ie not accurate, use of trim while accelerating may help. Be aware this is NOT the same goal as normal trimming (hands free flight), it's just to reduce some of the control pressure you're holding while waiting for the speed to stabilise.

Some exercises with your instructor increasing/decreasing power &/or flap setting &/or trim settings while you concentrate on holding specific pitch attitudes & headings could also help.

Definately don't stare at the instruments. It really *IS* an outside reference manouevre. Altimeter is just to tell whether your 'outside' job is as accurate as it could be.

[ 17 July 2001: Message edited by: Tinstaafl ]

A7E Driver
17th Jul 2001, 18:06
If you are going to cheat and peak at the instruments (as I have done for 26 years), don't look at the useless altimeter --- look at the VSI. One quick glance there will tell you if your are trending the correct way (up or down). Hang in there --- it all seems hard at first but will become second nature soon.

Cloudwatcher
17th Jul 2001, 18:47
Thanx chaps,it is comforting to know that the advice is there when confidence is running a bit low. Well done to pprune for providing the forum for inexperienced people like myself.

Oleo
17th Jul 2001, 20:33
Hey cloud watcher - you only have 6 hours, if my students were levelling off within 50 feet after that little experience I would be very happy. As Tinstaafl and the others said it really is just practice practice. You sound like you are doing fine.

Remeber to start the level off at about 10% of your rate of climb: i.e.: if you are climbing at 700 fpm on the VSI start your level off 70 before the altitide. Then it is a matter if pinning the attitude outside and just cross checking inside. To be a good VFR pilot you don't want to be fixating on the instruments.

Before you know it this will all become second nature.

Hold the nose down as the pressure increases with increasing speed then trim holding the horizon one third of the way up the windscreen.

We all have good days and bad days and there doesn't seem to be any reason. It's early days! Remember to enjoy it!

Cloudwatcher
19th Jul 2001, 14:17
Thanx, Oleo inspiration is just what i need.
You,ll probarbly remember yourself that sometimes it seems like you will never take it all in.
But I'll get there, I know I will

Oleo
19th Jul 2001, 16:21
Cloud Watcher - that feeling still hits me more than I would like! It is present tense... not a memory!

Ivan Ivanovich
19th Jul 2001, 23:44
Cloudwatcher

Just to add to the other posts, it's important to remember that the attitude you are putting the aeroplane into when levelling out is the straight and level attitude.

Obviously different airspeeds do need different attitudes to maintain level flight. However the speed will start accelerating once you begin pitching down at the level off. Therefore for most light aircraft it is perfectly acceptable to go straight for the s+l attitude. Keep your eyes outside as the aircraft accelerates and maintain the attitude that you know gives level flight. The aircraft will fly level and your height will be nailed.

Good luck.

Ivan