PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Recruiting Again?

Speedbird19
15th Apr 2002, 18:26
My dad is a BA CSD (Cabin Crew) and he has heard from lots of other Captains and a BALPA rep on a flight back form Newark 2day that BA are seriously considering recruiting in the near future, apparently there starting a new charter airline out of Gatwick. This is all rumour, I know nothing of the requirments to entry yet, it could be direct or sponsorship. This is not a hoax to get anyones hopes up allthough its certainly put a smile on my face!
Afterall thats why they call it a rumour network;)

Hand Solo
15th Apr 2002, 19:24
New BA charter airline from LGW? Wasn't mentioned in Future Size and Shape. I think this is a complete red herring I'm afraid.

wtpurser
15th Apr 2002, 19:29
Yeah Speedbird foxtrot 2946 Just cause your taking it up the batty from BA recruitment doesn't mean we should have the negatives spued out of you puny head putting bad vibes around. IF you are a pilot which i know you are how come you know so much about what goes on in BA recruitment ??? If you are a junior pilot why so much intrest in BA recruitment ?? Unless you actually work in recruitment at riverside or have a broom cupboard locked away in the compass centre with a ****ty desk job taking request trips off of more experienced pilots who actually have there finger on the pulse, but actually pose as a pilot. Yeah thats it aint it.......

Others pilots such as yourself with more clout that you would have the same access (if not more as some may be involved with training) would have the same answer as you but that doesn't tie up with your response. I would take it on more authority from a CSD that some tit with a strange view on what goes on inside BA.
Maybe you should stick to locking your selfl up in the Arora and waiting for a call out on QRS. But unfortunatley that call may never come!

The Greaser
15th Apr 2002, 20:29
I've heard that BA are doing everything possible to NOT take on new pilots. ie. trying to get the unions to relax the short haul annual limit and stop long haul pilots logging time spent resting on flights. Apparently if they succeed in this then they will create enough pilots to cover a year and a halfs worth of retirements. If they can't then they will start taking the cadets etc.

Hand Solo
15th Apr 2002, 21:53
What the hell was that about wtpurser? If you're going to spout rubbish at least try to do it in the english language.

purple haze
15th Apr 2002, 22:23
just a BIT of an over reaction wtp.

i hope IF you do become a pilot, you dont have that temperament
on flight deck.

ph.

aviatter
15th Apr 2002, 23:28
Interesting though that BA is advertising for sales agents (check their website)! You would think they wouldn't be doing any recruiting at all given that they are in the process of downsizing?

Just something to think about...

Polar_stereographic
16th Apr 2002, 06:14
My mate who's on the busses for them tells me this is indeed imminent.

What I do find interesting is that pre 911, he was always at home, post 911, he's working his butt off! I conclude that they are having to work a lot harder now than before, but I guess that's all part of increasing efficiencies.

As an aside, dispite all that's been said, BA did not make any pilots redundant, but managed the reduction in other ways.

PS

Pontius
16th Apr 2002, 09:37
In order not to have to go re-typing; please see a message I posted on the CEP/DEP thread in this forum.

WT Purser. Whoa there, boy. That was a bit of an over-reacion wasn't it. Speedbird 2946 just stated the truth, it wasn't an attack on the optimism of future BA pilots. And just so you don't accuse me of not having a clue: I don't sit at ANY desk, don't want to and never will. BA recruitment use both HR and pilots during the 2nd stage of the selection process (hence Speedbird 2946, as a pilot may well have a clue what he's talking about with recruitment). I, as a pilot, sit on the other side of the table when you got to interview and it's the only time I wear a suit. I, like the rest of my colleagues have had their suits hung up for 8 months now and the CSD's rumours are just that (but it is a rumours network as previously stated) and finally, I can't wait to shake the mothballs off and get going again but I think we'll be waiting for about another year and a half........but VERY happy to be proved wrong.

Toodle pip,

Pontius

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Apr 2002, 09:46
Pontius thanks for that input.

For low time Wannabes I urge you not to get excited about BA recruitment.

Look at the poor guys in CFE - there are a Skippers there with years of experience facing being put into the RHS as FS&S works through. BACE is being stuffed full of cadets that BA have no places for... There are plenty of cadets from other airlines like Aer Lingus, Airtours, British Midland etc. who never got jobs but have intact training records with the same FTO's BA used. Then there is a wealth of people that have self funded their training and met the historic pass marks that BA required for TEP entry post training.

All those no-cost options are available to BA before they consider putting TEP adverts in Flight again.

There is considerable speculation inside the training industry as to whether airline sponsorships will in fact return in their old form...

Lucifer
16th Apr 2002, 17:54
Absolutely agree with all that has been said above. Lets all be calm and help each other rather than attack what you disagree with - constructive opinion never hurt anyone!

PS: Cheers SB;)

Speedbird19
16th Apr 2002, 18:40
Well guys I'm sorry we have all been torn apart by my post, I only meant it to be a harmless rumour, as I said at the beginning this is a rumour network it ain't called PPDeN (pro pilots definate network!!!)

My only point that I think this rumour supports is the fact that pilots get old and eventually have to retire from carrer flying, there is supposed to be a lot of natural wastage at BA over the next 5 years, so it does make a bit of sense.

It hasent hurt anyone to be optmostic, its rumours like this that help me as a 17 year old wannabe through my A level exams...the hope that there may be an opening into a carrer I have dreampted of doing since I was 5...

So please can we all be nice and supportive to each other in the future, thanks to everyone who has been "nice" throughout this thread.

Now back to my revision!!!:)

Shadowpurser
16th Apr 2002, 19:39
WTP woah there horsey!!!!

With that kind of attitude sounds like you just got a free transfer to EFG as a junior - but we won't be needing you if it's all the same, we're all stocked up on bitter and twisted here!!;)

(Edited for crap spelling)

Mister Geezer
16th Apr 2002, 20:55
Even though BA Citiexpress are not admitting it, it looks like Citiexpress pilots will be able to 'bid' for mainline fleets if they want to. The ball seems to be rolling slowly, after some guys have received 'bidding sheets' which have some mainline fleets as an option.

MG