PDA

View Full Version : Maldives life?

tommyh7
20th Dec 2012, 13:47
i'm considering a position with MAT in Maldives, And could really do with some insight into how the life is there? There is a lot of information you can get about the flying side of things and think i am pretty well informed on that, but if anybody out has worked on floats in the Maldives, how is it?

how are the people? How is Male? How is the atmosphere throughout the pilots? Is there any drinking at all? is there much to do on Male? can you get to any other islanders by boat? can you go to the resorts during your offtime? is it easy to go diving or kayaking? how is the beach on Male? did anybody have a wife/kid with them? are there any supermarkets? how is the accomadation? all these kind of things, would really appreciate any info from anyone there or who has been there

cheers

Daifly
21st Dec 2012, 07:09
If you don't take it, I will :)

NuName
21st Dec 2012, 08:01
Male is dry and boring, we opted to stay on one of the islands of which there are many, short trip on a boat. Better hotels and really enjoyed it, fantastic place.

Pace
21st Dec 2012, 08:09
My ideal ;)

Never worked there as a pilot but what a dream job flying those boat planes from Male to the Atolls.
If you also happen to love water especially scuba diving it would be a heaven made job.
You cannot take drink into Male but it is available at the Hotels at a ridiculous price.
Never bothered looking around Male although I do know there were day trips from the Atolls to see the town and markets.
The Scuba diving is out of this world and amazing take an underwater Camera

Pace

Dupre
21st Dec 2012, 09:32
What are the rosters like out there? You might need to check that they give you two days in a row off before you make diving plans!

I believe PADI recommend 18hrs between final dive (of two) and flying. OK so you might not be going to 8000' but it is food for thought!

JB007
21st Dec 2012, 09:40
Male is not for everyone, crowded/congested, mopeds, beach is artificial! It has all mod-cons though - very good gym/supermarkets and loads of good restaurants/coffee places! Hulamale is popular with crews, good beaches and quiet. I've stayed on both but opted for Male as i found myself spending most of my time there drinking coffee and using the restaurants, but i also have a commuting roster and fly long-haul, my time in Male is quite limited!

Alcohol available at Hulhula International Hotel - airport hotel! Regular crew hotac for European crews and MAT/TMA pilots watering hole! Prices aren't that bad, usually a promotion of some sort going on!

Most of the resorts around Male are very happy for you to visit free of charge for the evening and will offer good rates year round, especially in off-season (April-October) for Work Visa holders/locals. Some top end resorts will charge for a day visit, but it's totally worth it!

Great adventure to be had and difficult not to have fun, as a European, its an ok place to be with a lousy pilot market at home! 100% tax free salary on top too! I sit in my 767 wishing I was flying a Twin Otter!

Good luck,
Cheers
JB

Pace
21st Dec 2012, 10:37
Dupre

With the very low altitudes the boat planes fly it would be worth checking with an organisation like PADI who have access to medical diving research whether those restrictions would apply.

For shallow diving and the use of high oxygen concentrate Nitrox maybe 36% that would further reduce the time between flying and diving.

Pace

S-Works
23rd Dec 2012, 18:12
Drop me a pm.