PDA

View Full Version : Distance learning – What’s the Score?

captainbirdseye
15th Apr 2002, 17:25
I am thinking of undertaking the ATPL’s via distance learning. I would like to hear about peoples experiences of doing this. I am looking at London Guildhall at the moment and want to know what is a reasonable time to try and complete the course in.

What sort of marks have people achieved before – and do you have to be brain of Britain to get good marks (over 85 %)?

If anyone would care to say what average they got in what time, and what their level of education was before the course, that would be very helpful.

Thanks

CBE

The Greaser
15th Apr 2002, 18:01
CBE,

I did a distance learning course (PPSC then Bristol) last year on a full time basis ie. I did not have a job whilst I was doing it. I started studying in mid July, did my first set of exams in September and second set in November - average of 90%. Total of about 3 and a half months.

This required serious amounts of effort and a high degree of motivation - about 6 + hours a day. I also have a background of Aeronautics degree and 2 years of flight instructing.

If you do the d/l learning with a full time job it will obviously take longer.

Anyway, thats my experience with d/l.

Good Luck and in my opinion, Bristol has the best notes and instructors.

DiverDriver
15th Apr 2002, 18:21
Cpt Birdseye - I'm feeling brave today so here you are my results for MOD1 studied with BGS distance learning from end July 2001 to Nov 2001 and sat the exams December last.
M&B 89%
Inst/Electronics 76% :eek:
Flt Plan & Monitoring 83%
Gen Nav 76% :eek:
Meterology 82%
Human Performance 92%
VFR Comms 83%
IFR Comms 85%

Well there you have Mod 1 complete and no re-sits rqd doing it Distance style, so it can be done. Im off to BGS next week for MOD 2 and the exams in May so hopefully same again.

Hope this helps. TTFN DD

captainbirdseye
15th Apr 2002, 18:27
Greaser

Impressive stuff – I don’t think I’ll get into the sub four months club, but I definitely want to do all the exams (and pass! – well) in around the 6 – 8 month mark.

I will be working full time, so reckon 15 hours a week is my limit. I have a degree in Mech. Eng. I think its achievable, I had a look at some material at the Flying exhibition over the weekend and it does not look hard – just lots of it.

Does my plan sound reasonable to others? – Comments & advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

CBE