PDA

View Full Version : Cathay feels heat for flight `near riot'

jetjockey696
20th Dec 2012, 05:38
Passengers on a Cathay Pacific flight to New York were forced to stay in a hot and humid aircraft for hours and then wait overnight in lounges after their flight was canceled due to engine problems.

One of the passengers, American lawyer Lou Priluker, told The Standard it was "the worst experience that I have ever had in my tens of thousands of miles of air travel."

Cathay confirmed that Flight CX840, which was scheduled to depart from Hong Kong to the Big Apple on Saturday, was delayed and then rescheduled due to "an engine valve [and] later a ground power system [failure]."

Passengers were told that their boarding time on Saturday afternoon was delayed because the air-conditioning system on the aircraft, a Boeing 777-300ER, was not working.

ADVERTISEMENT

"When we finally boarded, the plane was hot and humid because the system had not been fixed," said Priluker, adding they stayed inside the aircraft for more than three hours.

The flight was canceled and rescheduled for 12.45am Sunday.

When it came time to reboard, another electrical problem kept passengers waiting one more hour.

Priluker said when they finally boarded the aircraft they were kept inside for more than two hours "while the power went on and off repeatedly."

He added: "Finally, with the plane in a near riot, he [the pilot] canceled the flight and let us get off, after waiting another hour for the buses to transport us."

Priluker had to sleep in the Cathay Pacific airport lounge to wait for the 9.30am flight, and said he was not even offered hotel accommodation.

A Cathay Pacific spokeswoman said during the delays, the company offered all possible assistance to passengers.

"There was originally a problem with an engine valve, later a ground power system," she said.

"The valve is normally highly reliable.

"Safety is always our top priority and we are investigating the cause of the technical problem."

December 20, 2012

DropKnee
23rd Dec 2012, 08:50
What does all possible assistence to passengers actually mean? I wish reporters would ask. That would be journalism.

cxorcist
23rd Dec 2012, 19:22
Not much real journalism these days. Reporters are too afraid of losing access should they actually ask a tough question. By extension, they become part of the propoganda machine.