PDA

View Full Version : Schools touting a pilot shortage

pilotchute
20th Dec 2012, 04:58
I just noticed on the the homepage of the US flying school "American Flyers" that there is a link to an article about a looming pilot shortage. Now where I come from none of the schools do this so my question is how many schools use these tactics?

Turbavykas
20th Dec 2012, 06:14
I think most do that. Have seen a lot of. And they love to do this using articles.

No RYR for me
20th Dec 2012, 08:28
Believe it or not in the US at the regionals there is a big shortage starting and will be in the next few years... American Eagle has started offering $5000,- signing bonuses again as they need to fill 500 seats next year....

Main problem in the US:

Less people trained for an FAA CPL in the last few years
Most people that were trained for an CPL were chinese/indian guys etc who have left the country since
Pay at the regionals is minimal to start of with
Investment is big
1500 hour rule as an answer to the Colgan Air crash

So expect aircraft to be grounded from mid 2013 and the airlines to push congress to get rid of the 1500 hour rule as well as higher salaries. :ok:

pilotchute
20th Dec 2012, 20:46
I read on another thread that there are thousands of pilots in the US now working in other jobs because getting paid 16-18K a year at a regional as an FO just wasn't paying the bills. The solution seemed to be upping the pay to attract them back but because of the super slim margins the regionals operate on this probably won't happen.
Bit of a catch 22. The majors mind you I don't think have any shortage of applicants. This just goes to show that there isn't really a pilot shortage, just a shortage of pilots willing to work for peanuts.

When I see aircraft parked on the apron with "help wanted" signs in the windows that's when I will believe that there is a shortage.

ShyTorque
20th Dec 2012, 21:40
I just noticed on the the homepage of the US flying school "American Flyers" that there is a link to an article about a looming pilot shortage. Now where I come from none of the schools do this so my question is how many schools use these tactics?

Surely, what they really mean is that the school has an immediate student pilot shortage.

PosClimb
22nd Dec 2012, 01:59
I remember when I walked into a flying school... almost 20 years ago...

What were they pushing?... the upcoming pilot shortage.

That one never gets old.

The industry tends to go in vicious cycles... the industry has been in the sh*tters for the last several years.

It's now time for the pendulum to swing the other way for a bit.

I expected a couple good years in the US to come, then it'll go into the crapper again.

22nd Dec 2012, 08:23
To quote you 'while those countless 250TT CPL pilots will grab whatever they can find.

Low pay, no pay or P2F, anything is good for'em.'

Nice use of the words 'those' and 'anything is good for'em.'

There is no hiding your distain for low hour pilots. May I ask how you started off in the industry and became a pilot?

fa2fi
23rd Dec 2012, 21:12
Schools have been banging in about a 'pilot shortage' for at least the 15 years I've been involved in the industry. There Becker has and never will be a shortage if pilots. Only a shortage of experienced captains. But flying schools will never tell you that.

bagurxvi
24th Dec 2012, 15:30
I am listening about a pilot shortage from a round 10 or 15 years... At least, but the amount of pilot jobs (http://pilotwork.net/pilotjobs)are going down instead to increase. Strange case! Even more they are testing commercial pilotless aircraft. So if they are studing to replace the pilots with computer how on earth will there a pilot shortage ?

benjaavpilot
24th Dec 2012, 16:05
''Aircraft maker Boeing has forecast a need for 466,650 more commercial pilots by 2029 — an average of 23,300 new pilots a year. Nearly 40% of the openings will be to meet the soaring travel market in the Asia-Pacific region, Boeing predicts, but more than 97,000 will be in North America'' :D
;)

Demand for airline pilots set to soar - USATODAY.com (http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2011/06/Demand-for-airline-pilots-set-to-soar/48661596/1)

Happy Reading and Happy Chrismas & New Year PPruners :}

:ok:

PURPLE PITOT
24th Dec 2012, 17:37
Oh dear, another one to the slaughter!:ugh:

timo90210
28th Dec 2012, 14:32
Do yourself a favor and look here.....

US Civil Airmen Statistics (http://www.faa.gov/data_research/aviation_data_statistics/civil_airmen_statistics/2011/)

There is just as many pilots today as in 2002. Actually there are more student pilots than 10 years ago. Same for flight instructors. Little less ATP's but that is going to change when next years statistics are coming out.

There is no pilot shortage. There will never be a pilot shortage. There will only be a shortage of people willing to work for poverty wages when they can have a 9-5 job and stay at home with their families. When the pay increases to the level of responsibility and when management compensates us for the sacrifices we make living out of a suitcase, all seats will be filled. It's that simple.

Flieslikeabrick
30th Dec 2012, 09:21
Gullible? I was, hence my utterly useless CPL/IR/MCC....... There may be a shortage of experienced flight crew, but I doubt that as I know several +4000 hour guys that cannot get interviews.... No shortage of P2F guys/gals subsidizing airlines.....
It all sounds a bit like estate agents saying house prices are rising........
As previously stated, the shortage has been looming for years. I have been waiting so long that I have gone completely bald in the process!
Cannot see it.................:sad:

squall1984
1st Jan 2013, 06:32
Eagle is offering $5000 because they are in bankruptcy and no one will go there and with people leaving they are struggling to fill seats