PDA

View Full Version : Newly issued EASA licence

skydreaming
19th Dec 2012, 18:29
Hello,

Just a quick question about my newly issued EASA licence.

I just want to make sure I fully understand what I actually have.

It is a CPL(A) and under section XII (certificates)
I have issued MEP (Land) and IR-SP-ME class/SE.

I know that I can fly a twin such as the be76 under IR conditions but
is the licence downgradable in order to allow me to fly a single such as the 206 with this licence?

I believe I would have to do an SEP skills test but I thought I'd just ask in case.

Thanks in advance for the help.

pipersam
19th Dec 2012, 21:51
Yeah you would need to get an SEP rating and possibly a type rating for specific (complex) singles. Most flying schools can provide this. Pretty sucky that we get this far, have a license that let's us fly a complex multi in crappy weather yet we can't take a 152 up in beautiful weather.

I remember my flying instructor telling me that if a PPL turned up to rent a plane from him he would be pretty confident about it, but if an ATPL holder with 2500 hours of jet time turned up to hire a plane he would be very worried!

skydreaming
20th Dec 2012, 03:11
thanks, just what I thought

nick14
22nd Dec 2012, 20:15
It's very reasonable that if you haven't got the appropriate rating for a particular type/class of aircraft then you cannot operate one solo. I have a few thousand hours on Boeing jets, does that automatically entitle me to fly a single? It's a completely different discipline!

If you want to fly singles then you need to go and get an SEP rating. I had to take an hour or so refresher training and do an LPC renewal.

Flieslikeabrick
23rd Dec 2012, 07:14
My (pathetically cheap looking) new issued replacement EASA CPL now has my SEP rating relegated to the "Ratings previously held" page, like an afterthought. Nick14 CORRECTLY points out that flying a Boeing DOESN'T equal Chuck Yeager on a C152. Seen some howlers at RAF club where I flew. That said, do I need to undertake all PPL training again if I want to fly a 30 year old 152 / Pa28, or can it be renewed with examiner. My understanding of EASA is once a rating expires, a door slams in your face, and candidate must undertake retraining at an approved FTO prior to re-examining......

BillieBob
23rd Dec 2012, 08:55
That said, do I need to undertake all PPL training again if I want to fly a 30 year old 152 / Pa28Of course not. You will just have to take refresher training at an ATO to renew the SEP Class Rating. The amount of training is at the discretion of the ATO depending upon how long the SEP rating has been expired. There are various recommendations in the Regulation concerning the minimum amount of training but these are only recommendations and, at worst, would only comprise a few hours for an SEP rating. If you think that one ATO is asking you to do too much, you can always shop around for another, anywhere in the EU.