PDA

View Full Version : transmission examination after "hard landing"

instructor-pilot
19th Dec 2012, 06:55
I would appriciate if anyone can explain me what should be examined after a helicopter losses tail rotor effectivenes at 1000mAMSL, 20m AGL,turns right 720 deg and hits the ground on the skids, without any vissual damage.Helicopter was UH-1H, loaded with 10 passengers,3 crew and 1250 lbs of fuel on board at the time hard landing ocured.

sycamore
19th Dec 2012, 15:11
Suggest your engineers read the Tech,book on heavy landings ,or try the Engineering Forum,or Rotorheads.You could offer a prayer to your God...

zetec2
20th Dec 2012, 13:24
Nicely put Brian, Merry Christmas , best wishes for 2013 PH.

HueyLoach
20th Dec 2012, 17:00
Instructor Pilot,

Is this the same unit and maybe the same IP that crashed an UH-1H during a botched training autorotation, and the same that had a tail boom/main rotor strike? And now a LTE with a hard landing?
Not to be judgemental but I think your organization needs some serious IP remedial training.
I know that the US Army doesn't provide that training anymore but there are several US federal government outfits that still operate the model that might be able to help.

I am not a maintenance expert but to answer your original question and based on your description of the mishap, I think that it warrants a hard landing inspection. In regard to the transmission examination, in my humble opinion if it didn't experience an overtorque or overspeed, I think that it's fine unless something else is found during the hard landing inspection. I did a quick search of the technical manuals (US Army TM 55-1520-210-23 series) and I didn't see anything specific about your problem.

You can PM if you wish.

Saint Jack
21st Dec 2012, 13:04
As 'sycamore' suggests, go through the hard/heavy landing inspection requirements as detailed in the appropriate maintenance manual. Rather than 'examining the transmission' I would suggest you have a good close look at the transmission support structure, i.e. the 'hell-hole' exterior, and determine if structural distortion has occurred, run your hand slowly across the panels and ensure you feel a smooth flat surface - any waviness suggests distortion.