PDA

View Full Version : Could i have some advice please?

Giorgio
15th Apr 2002, 14:39
Hi there,

I posted this in the 'wannabes' forum and it was suggested i post it here too.

"I am very new to this site, joined yesterday (sunday), im definitly an aspiring aviator

Im currently at uni doing an HND in biology and then a degree in the same field.

Id love to fly for a living once i graduate and am looking at two options:

1) Commercial pilot, specifically British Airways, i know at the moment that they have suspended all recruitment but am looking at two years time for my graduation. I have already been in touch with them and am doing the right sort of degree and need a 2:2 or higher. So, any advice re:applying to BA would be great and also about any other options that are available.

2)Military flying, i.e. the RAF, i don't know wether or not this site really relates to this but if any one knows about what a career flying in the RAF is like then please let me know. As id like to weigh up the options"

ive been to RAF careers and they basically said come back when you graduate, but id like to know more about what a flying career is like in the RAF, im not fussy wether it was in heavies, fast jets or heli's but the latter is the least appealing to me.

I was in the ATC at RAF Brize Norton and had some really good experiences in VC-10's and Tristars doing AAR over the north sea :D obviously just as a passenger :)

Im applying to the 'local' university air squadron, if i get in and do well would this be a good step on the ladder?

Thanks for taking time to read my post

Regards

George

Dr Schlong
15th Apr 2002, 20:51
Suggest you trawl through the past posts on this subject as it is one that is brought up regularly.

Flying in the RAF is awesome; good friends and top flying.

UAS is a very good thing to get into as you'll be able to complete your elementary flying with them rather than at Church Fenton, and you'll also see what the RAF has to offer on the social side.

Also invest in a good dictionary or grammar checker! :p :eek:

Best of luck,

The Good Doctor

Giorgio
16th Apr 2002, 14:58
Thanks for the reply, my spelling and grammer were not great, but i kept typing my post and getting timed out so after four goes i was typing real quik :)

Will start searching.

Thanks

George

keiysersaucy
19th Apr 2002, 17:00
be a little wary. not all of us share his view. If the RAF is so "awesome" why is there an chronic aircrew shortage and retention problem?