PDA

View Full Version : Peerages.....

swashplate
15th Apr 2002, 12:40
The peerage in Britain today is no longer a true order of nobility and it has lost all of it's social and political meaning. At best, it's the Dad's Army of the heritage industry.

His grace the Earl of Burford, who wishes to be known in future as Mr Charles Beauclerk. :D

Frankly, I rather agree with His grac...sorry, Mr Beauclerk. :D

The Norman Nobility ruled us in England for centuries because they won at Hastings in 1066.... :eek:

But 350 years ago, they lost at Naseby!!!!! :cool:

They lost power in the recent reforms. With "Foot &Mouth" having devastated the countryside and a ban on foxhunting looming, looks like being an aristo ain't all it used to be!! :D

But anyway, what do you all think? :confused: Discuss........

......BTW, I've always wondered what happened to the saxon nobility after 1066...........

Grainger
15th Apr 2002, 14:33
Well you can only be the Nobility if you go around doing noble things.

So if any of 'em have done anything noble recently, let's hear it...

WeatherJinx
15th Apr 2002, 14:47
Our class-ridden society has cost this country (and its economy) very dear in the last few decades. How have we managed to sustain the rationale that you can only do a certain job or occupy a certain position because of an accident of birth, for so long?

Up the Republic!- and whilst we're at it let's get rid of the 'Windsors' too :D :D :D

WxJx ;)

:::ducking in anticipation of flames from the Daily Mail brigade:::

DeepC
15th Apr 2002, 15:15
Something decent that the Nobility have done in the last few years.....

....the hereditary peers in the House of Lords were much more representative of the 'man on the street' than the House of Commons.

Tartan Gannet
16th Apr 2002, 22:20
Yes, its an interesting point that the unelected Lords have often stopped the overmighty elected Commons, especially under control freak Blair.

I regret that Hereditary Peers can no longer attend and speak in debates, even without a vote. There was such a wealth of experience and knowledge and of course they were free, whether real Peer or Life peer to vote and speak without fear of the Party Whips.

I deplore Blair's so called reformed House of Lords, worse than what went before and as for his so-called "people's peers" ? The usual suspects, Sir this, Lady so and so, The Honourable the next thing. Not an ordinary person amongst them last year!

Send Clowns
16th Apr 2002, 23:16
Agree DeepC

Although there was technically a larger number of Tory peers they were as likely to stop Thatcher's legislation if it was flawed as Blair's. Their lack of sensitivity to the whip was refreshing (and think how powerful the whip will be if the Lib Dems get there way with PR - all power to the Party! :eek: ). And Mrs T was far more likely to sit back and listen than the Pretender to the Presidency.

Tartan Gannet - as we all, you included, expected!

somewhatconcerned
17th Apr 2002, 01:41
You might increase your own chances of becoming a peoples peer TG if you make a sizable donation to the 'save president Tony fund'. Just a thought:D

Blacksheep
17th Apr 2002, 05:49
I thought that a peer was the chap at the other end of the urinal? If not, then he ought to be.

Through difficulties to the cinema

DROGNA
17th Apr 2002, 13:40
Have to agree with WxJx on this one - Raid the palace, the time for treason is here, burn windsor, burn.

PS Can I be Sir Working Class please??
:D

HugMonster
17th Apr 2002, 16:31
Bollox to all that.

Let's have a return to feudalism. If the guy in charge doesn't do a good job, all you do is have a Workers' Revolt, and top the bu99er.

Hagbard the Amateur
17th Apr 2002, 16:50
Hasta la victoria siempre...
The lords have saved us from Parliament a couple of times but they are still in my mind an outdated filter.
I mean, to have national issues voted upon by Andrew Lloyd Webber? Jeez.