PDA

View Full Version : Stabilised approach ... NOT

Armchairflyer
16th Dec 2012, 17:56
LiveLeak.com - Crazy Landing!! Kids, do not repeat this at home!!

(Presumed) outside view of final turn and landing (commentary in German):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1NEOwDwapk

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Dec 2012, 18:11
Superbly done! There goes a man who knows his aeroplane!

zero1
16th Dec 2012, 18:58
Mmmmmm.... Not much room for error. :=

Lord Spandex Masher
16th Dec 2012, 19:13
Do not err then young aviator.

BillieBob
16th Dec 2012, 19:35
Probably one of the good ole boys from the Bose ranch.

AdamFrisch
16th Dec 2012, 19:45
Those Skyservants look really cool in a bush kind of way.

maxred
16th Dec 2012, 19:51
That looked great. Smart piece of aviating skill I'd say.:ok:

Richard Westnot
16th Dec 2012, 19:53
Looked good, under positive control.

Don't think that they had enough time to call finals though :)

Barcli
16th Dec 2012, 19:59
Yep Bose knows how to train !!!

taxistaxing
16th Dec 2012, 21:02
Very, very cool. 10,000 feet + to ground level in less than 4 mins.

I've seen the drop plane at Headcorn/Lashenden release jumpers and be back on the ground before all the canopies have landed. Impressive stuff. :ok: .

Steve6443
16th Dec 2012, 22:58
Cool, yes, impressive control as well, I will grant that but I have to question his sanity - what was it they said? Human Factors? I'll-show-you-what-I-can-do-i-tis - I'd hate to be around when one of his motors goes tits up as he's turning onto final - before he knows what's happening, he'll be doing a pretty decent impression of a pavement pizza.....

Having said that, if one motor DID let go at a higher altitude than, say, 100 feet, this guy has his plane so well under control I'd no doubt he'd bring it down. In one piece. On the asphalt......

Deeday
16th Dec 2012, 23:43
Very impressive stuff. Having a shoulder harness and leaving it behind your back seems silly though.

gordon field
18th Dec 2012, 16:37
There goes a cocky pilot that doesn't bother to fasten his 4 point harness, let's hope that he doesn't have the accident that is waiting to happen. :ugh:

JW411
18th Dec 2012, 17:27
Beautifully done by a pilot who really knows his aircraft and his airfield. I have done exactly that more times than I care to remember and then I would have go back to work and push buttons for 11 hours between London and Los Angeles.

Pilot DAR
18th Dec 2012, 17:57
I'd hate to be around when one of his motors goes tits up as he's turning onto final - before he knows what's happening, he'll be doing a pretty decent impression of a pavement pizza.....

I see it differently. It's about energy management. When you're descending from 10000 feet to the ground in 4 minutes, you're probably not using the engines. So, if one quits, he'll probably take to to the shop which the rest of the plane that he's already gliding down. There comes a certain point in every flight where you can plan the rest of the flight to be accomplished on energy in the plane, not engine power. He found that point (at the end of jump run, I think), and used energy from there - just don't damage the engines....

Is flying like this necessary? Maybe not, but then there is a lot of art around which is not necessary either - 'doesn't mean that we don't appreciate it for it's quality!

The jump club always expressed appreciation that i got the 185 or 206 down from 10500 feet in 0.2 hours ('cause they paid for the plane by the tenth), without abusing the engine to do it. My flying was not that artistic, but I did beat the jumpers down a few times....

jollyrog
18th Dec 2012, 18:27
It looks very dangerous to me. That toy duck hanging from the compas must obscure his vision.

Deeday
18th Dec 2012, 19:11
There goes a cocky pilot that doesn't bother to fasten his 4 point harness, let's hope that he doesn't have the accident that is waiting to happen. :ugh:Nah, don't worry: he's obviously too good to crash an aircraft, which is probably why he doesn't need seat belts.

Ultranomad
19th Dec 2012, 11:25
I knew one pilot who would drop the skydivers and deliberately shut the engine down - allegedly to save fuel, but I think he was just enjoying himself. The chap was 70-something years old and had over 10000 hours on type (AN-2).

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Dec 2012, 12:42
Me and my mate were meat bombing some years ago. On one of his lifts the last jumper, as he went out the door, switched off the mags and took the keys with him! No big deal as they were overhead the field, but demonstrates how mad some of these jumpers are!

Doodlebug
19th Dec 2012, 13:26
Had similar, Mr Shaggy. In my case my load pulled a gear CB (C210) before exiting :rolleyes:

effortless
20th Dec 2012, 09:23
Jollyrog

Surely the toy duck is the back up turn coordinator?