PDA

View Full Version : C/C training - Awkward PAX - Tricks and tips?

Shadowpurser
15th Apr 2002, 11:27
I'm interested to know what kind of customer service training other airlines recieve.

We got the usual stuff - how to fill out the paperwork - pour a drink etc etc.

But after posting in the "has anyone ever made you cry thread", it made me wounder if other airlines teach their C/C - F/A's to overcome awkward/unreasonable PAX (without getting the restraint kit). At B.A. we did a couple of roleplays but nothing more than 30 mins on this subject out of a 5 week training course! I guess the thinking being that peoples natural people skills will deal with any situation.

In a previous life I used to be a car salesman and was tought quite a few little tricks/tips/and strategies that I use at work all the time. They would take no-more than a couple of hours to explain or learn to a class of 30 people but would be invalueable on board. I don't use them to verbally run rings around people (but it is easy if you know how!!!), but they are a great way making an irrate/frustrated PAX see reason in a calm manner.

Here's one for everyone that can be applied to quite a few situations:

Pax want to use child booster/baby seat that is not approved by your manuals. They protest that they used it on XYZ airways last month and also on your airline on the sector out!!! At this point they also produce their gold card and say "do you know who I am!!". You tell the PAX that despite his previous flights you can't let him use the child seat because it's does not meet the safety requirements of your manual, but the PAX is not intersted by now as they are red faced/shouting/ and have attention of everyone around them. They are also probably used to having YES men/women around them telling them they are right and can do what they want as they are executive manager of world (we've all been here or something similar right?).

Ok here's the clever bit (Your gonna buy this new
Ford Mondeo if it kills me!!!)

1. Use PAX name - familiarity - they've got yours (it's on you badge!) When PAX realises their details are down somewhere they are no-longer annonymous, will probably catch them off guard as well.

2. Kneel down to lower than their eye level. Your probably standing up and they're in their seat. Talking down to someone makes them feel like they're being told/attacked/threatened.

3. Lower your voice. The lower your voice getting a soft as possible, you'll find the PAX will adjust their volume to suit yours.

4. Empathise not symapthise. (This will stop them dead if they're still harping on) say "Mr ***** I understand what your saying...If I was in your position... I'd feel the same way too." This shows you both understand and agree with the way they're thinking, and your on their side!!!

OK! Time for the really clever part. This is called leading the customer.

Suggest that the PAX sitting adjacent might be a C.A.A. /F.A.A. inspector. If you allow the PAX to use the seat you could lose your job. You then say (As a tear come to your eye LOL!) "Do you want me to lose my job sir?" they will say "No" because no one wants anyone to lose their jobs especially over something as trivial as a child seat. You then say "So we won't be using the seat for take off or landing then will we, because you don't want me to lose my job?". Wait for the "No" and BANG you've got compliance and your passenger right where you want them!!!:D

"Thank you sir" Conversation over

Try it anyway you'll be suprised. This can be applied to a number of safety issues on board oxygen mask/overwing exits/luggage/seatbelt signs etc etc.

I'm sure some of these things are tought and I'm not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs. Just trying to make everyone's job a little easier and a bit more fun!!

Anyone else got any tricks? I'd love to hear them!!:)

http://www.usapublishing.com/images/london/british_air_logo.gif

ronnie123
15th Apr 2002, 16:44
These things never work in asia, coz FAs mostly women, are considered lower than the MAN.

So me being an X male FA had it quite easy, I can say yes I have made a pax cry though.

So its whole new game in asian countries, if you are a weak & lady like you will be eaten alive by the often drunk pax.
Ask any crew who fly for Air India.

Jenni
15th Apr 2002, 17:46
Very good Shadowpurser!! I shall endeavour to remember that trick!
The company i work for however, include a day or two (cant remember exactly) of 'Conflict Management' skills in the initial training, then every year about half a day included in the recurrent SEP's.
I find this very useful and im sure my colleagues do too.
The training basically includes learning ways in which to 'handle' awkward passengers pretty much the same as you have mentioned. We also learn certain 'breakaway' techniques should the occasion arise that we should need to use them, be it in work or not.
As you say, the key is to Empathise not Sympathise, and NEVER talk down to passengers (i have seen this done) as this will not help the situation atall. I treat most of my passengers as i would wish to be treated myself, with respect! :D