PDA

View Full Version : Could i have some advice please?

Giorgio
15th Apr 2002, 11:21
Hi there,

I am very new to this site, joined yesterday (sunday), im definitly an aspiring aviator :)

Im currently at uni doing an HND in biology and then a degree in the same field.

Id love to fly for a living once i graduate and am looking at two options:

1) Commercial pilot, specifically British Airways, i know at the moment that they have suspended all recruitment but am looking at two years time for my graduation. I have already been in touch with them and am doing the right sort of degree and need a 2:2 or higher. So, any advice re:applying to BA would be great and also about any other options that are available.

2)Military flying, i.e. the RAF, i don't know wether or not this site really relates to this but if any one knows about what a career flying in the RAF is like then please let me know. As id like to weigh up the options :)

Thanks for taking time to read my post

Regards

George

G SXTY
15th Apr 2002, 13:18
Right then,

(1) Commercial Flying
You’re quite right, BA (and just about everyone else) have suspended their sponsorship schemes for the time being, although they will probably be running again by the time you graduate. But don’t get too fixated with BA – there are loads of other careers out there, and you need an alternative if you’re one of the 99.9% who don’t make it through to sponsorship.

The hard fact is that the majority of commercial pilots pay for every penny of their own training, either by (a) writing a cheque for £50-60k and signing up for a full-time (integrated) course, where you start with no hours or experience, and finish fully qualified to fly commercial aircraft, or (b) doing the whole thing bit by bit - as and when you can afford it (the modular route). You’ll do your private licence (PPL) first, followed usually by hours building somewhere cheap, then the ATPL written exams, followed by the CPL/IR (commercial licence & instrument rating) upgrade. The eventual cost will probably be almost as much, but at least you can pay in smaller chunks.

Of course, you may get very lucky and win sponsorship, but remember that the odds aren’t good. If you do end up paying for it yourself, you’ll find loads of moral support here on Pprune, but don’t commit money until you’ve done two things. Firstly, you must get a class 1 medical certificate (£400) from the CAA. Without this, no commercial flying. Second, spend £150 on the Guild of Air Pilots & Navigators (GAPAN) aptitude tests, which are conducted by the RAF. (Check out www.gapan.org). These will give you an independent assessment of your suitability for airline training, and are widely regarded as the standard in testing (BA use very similar tests themselves).

This may seem like a lot to spend before you even get near an aircraft (and it is), but its nothing compared to what you stand to lose if you’ve made the wrong choice. Finally, the one bit of advice that you’ll hear over and over again – you must have absolute bloody-minded determination to succeed.

(2) Military Flying
I can’t really help you much on this, but check out the military flying forum. Ask them nicely, and they’ll have loads of advice for you.

Good luck!

Giorgio
15th Apr 2002, 14:15
Thanks G-SXTY,

Some really good advice, I hadn't thought about funding it myself! Oviously id have to work for a few years in another career and then go for it when the money was there, wonder if i could get a loan? Hello Mr.Bankmanager...........!?!

Will try the military forum now :)

thanks again

Regards

George

G SXTY
15th Apr 2002, 14:42
No problem – anytime.

When I was half way through my degree, I thought that all commercial pilots were either sponsored by BA or ex RAF – in fact, they are a very small minority. Unless you have very rich parents, funding it yourself only really becomes an option after you’ve been working for a few years and – ideally – have a house to put up as security (for some reason, banks seem reluctant to hand out £50k unsecured loans).;)

A great many commercial pilots are career changers, (most of them seem to be from I.T.) including Capt. Pprune himself. I believe Danny got his first commercial job aged 38, so you won’t find age is a problem. Even without much money, you can still find ways to build some hours – get a weekend job at your local airfield washing / refuelling aircraft. You won’t exactly get rich quick, but you’ll meet loads of pilots, get lots of experience, and the odd trip out as well.

Above all, focus on your goal and don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do it.