PDA

View Full Version : Bowel's resection

PT-206
16th Dec 2012, 14:00
Hi all.

I am willing to start CPL traning (modular route), but have few doubts about my fitness.

The minor problem is my vision (-1.5 both eyes), but I worry about my abdomen. In 2007 I had quite serious operation - bowel's resection. Basically, my insides got rotten, doctor said that 2 hours later in the hospital and I'd be dead. As the result, they had to cut off some of it, now my small bowel is connected to the big one, I also lost appendix. It took me more than a year to recover, but now everything is just normal. I don't have any pain or anything else, in fact the only reminder is the scar after operation. Also didn't notice any problems during flight - had few trips as a pax, no problems at all.

The qustion is obvious - is my lack of bowels (in total about 130cm) going to affect results of Class 1 examination???

All the best
Tom

homonculus
16th Dec 2012, 21:03
The loss of bowel has absolutely no effect

If you simply burst your appendix but also needed some bowel removed as well there should be no problem but I suspect the regulator will want more information about the pathology. For example if the surgery was needed due to inflammatory bowel disease you may have to demonstrate the disease is quiescent

PT-206
18th Dec 2012, 12:20
Thank You very much homonculus! You put my mind at ease.

The situation was a bit funny, because Polish doctors suspected quite a few diseases like leukemia, anemia, stomach ulcers etc. It took me about 7 months to get operated from the first visit in the hospital. Mind you, I'm the lucky one - my wife's uncle died because of appendix:ugh:...

Luckily I do have all medical documentation with me, but it is in latin (used in Poland as a medical language). Is it gonna be a problem in UK? Do I need to translate it to English?

All the best.

MacFly16
18th Dec 2012, 17:07
Hi, all!

I´ve got a short question to the JAR Part-MED. How probable is it, that the this regulation comes into effect from April 2013?? Thanks a lot!!!

homonculus
19th Dec 2012, 15:14
PT 206

I suspect most Western doctors will be LESS worried knowing your issues went on so long, so many diverse diagnoses were banded about, that your appendix was then removed, and that you are now well, given that you had your illness in Poland at that time

What is important is the diagnosis. If it is in your documents, no matter what the language, that would help. If you have no diagnosis, I would look rather suspiciously on your treatment from a UK perspective, and if you have been well since then I would suggest there was little wrong with you. The regulator might do some blood tests and review the notes, but probably conclude likewise

However, unless there is any evidence such as a blood count (which is the same in Poland as in the UK) I really would NOT offer diagnoses such as leukaemia which appear unfounded guesswork.

And wrong

PM me with your notes if you wish - my son's latin is excellent - he read theology!!!

40&80
20th Dec 2012, 11:16
Your son would be right at home then....If you gave him an Airbus flight manual for Christmas.

PT-206
20th Dec 2012, 13:42
homonculus (http://www.pprune.org/members/194099-homonculus)

Yes, Youre right - it was a total quesswork. Few times I have been "egzamined" just by telling the doc : "I feel pain here" - "Ok, probably you have ulcers". Of course I have been given some medication, very strong for me by the way. I was a teenager at that moment, remember riding a bike after some pills - and just in a flash I got totally druk, couldn't even walk for a while (and have a nice scars after bike crash...). Of course I'm not saying that this is common in Poland, it happens everywhere.

As to the blood tests/loungs/heart etc - a few months back I have been to the hospital here in UK, due to a gas leak. And it appeared, that my blood is ok, transports 100% of oxygene, loungs are perfectly fine (despite being smoker for a bbig while...), the rest is ok. My two biggest worries are a) lack of bowels and b) eyes, but this one luckily can be easily corrected.

Please give me some time, I'll look for my documentation (we just moved house, I'll have to find it somewhere) and PM it to You. Thank You.

Best regards.
Tom