PDA

View Full Version : Gopinath's Deccan Charters faces severe crisis; Entire fleet of aircraft on sale

cyrilroy21
15th Dec 2012, 00:21
NEW DELHI: Captain GR Gopinath, the promoter of Deccan Charters, has put his entire fleet of aircraft on sale and fired dozens of employees as he grapples with a severe financial crisis, according to two persons with knowledge of the matter.

The company, which has been offering charter services to pilgrims and businessmen since 1997, has not paid employees for more than a year, said these persons. In the last month alone, 11 pilots and 20 technical personnel were laid off and only less than a third of the workforce of around 300 remain, they said, asking not to be identified.

Information gathered from Controller.com, a one-stop online marketplace for aircraft transactions, reveals that Deccan Charters has hired sales agents Flight Source International of the US and Sweden's Savback Helicopters to sell the aircraft. The company, formerly Deccan Aviation, owns 11 helicopters and five turboprop planes, according to the website of aviation regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation.

In a telephonic conversation with ET, Gopinath denied he was facing financial difficulties, but agreed that his charter company was not "doing well". "The machines are old, some copters were bought 20 years ago, and we couldn't match the new ones owned by cash-rich entrepreneurs."

There are too many people who own aircraft in India, said Gopinath. "And they rarely use the aircraft. When they don't, they rent them."

The charter business kickstarted Gopinath's career as India's first low-cost, low-fare air travel entrepreneur, but his businesses have been nothing short of a roller coaster. In 2003, he founded Air Deccan, which started auspiciously, but soon ran into financial problems.

Four years later, Kingfisher AirlinesBSE 2.66 % promoter Vijay Mallya bought and merged Air Deccan with his own carrier. Gopinath used the money from the deal to start Deccan 360, a cargo carrier, in May 2009. But that enterprise too was squeezed by a severe cash crunch and shut shop in 2011.

Gopinath returned to the mainstream airline business this August with the launch of Deccan Shuttles, a charter service that connects towns in Gujarat.

Bharath Mahadevan, a former senior executive of Jet AirwaysBSE 0.90 % who is about to publish a book on Indian aviation, says Gopinath is known in aviation circles as the one who got away scot-free.

WET-LEASE GAMBLE FLOPS FOR DECCAN

This is a reference to the Kingfisher deal before Air Deccan's financial troubles became insurmountable. "Gopinath always had the ideas, but no (business) fundamentals. In my opinion, he is a just a showman." Gopinath's latest troubles began when Deccan Charters was barred by the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board from operating in Vaishno Devi and Amarnath last year, said the first person, a senior pilot who quit earlier this year after pay became irregular.

The Hindu shrines on hilltops together contributed up to 60% of Deccan's total revenues, said the second person, an analyst, who is familiar with the company's business. "Deccan operated up to seven shuttles an hour, carrying around six passengers. It made nearly Rs 5 crore a month in these sites."

The company has challenged the board's decision and the Supreme Court is hearing the case. Around that time, Deccan, which operates as a non-scheduled operator's permit holder (carriers that do not follow a fixed schedule), tried to import two aircraft on wet lease (an arrangement where an operator leases aircraft and crew and is charged for hours flown). DGCA authorities refused permission because it was against rules and other non-scheduled operators would have sought a similar leeway.

The wet-lease gamble flopped miserably, said the pilot. "He had paid a significant amount of money to lessors and the planes had even reached Dubai before they were turned back."

Soon after, Gopinath purchased the stake Mallya held in Deccan Charters as part of the 2007 deal for Rs 60 crore, which depleted his cash reserves further, the pilot added. Today, Gopinath is the 100% owner of Deccan Charters.

According to Gopinath, the aircraft sale is only a change in business model. "Pilot salaries have risen 10 times as have the prices of spare parts. But revenues were not keeping pace." Deccan is demanding Rs 44 crore for the seven copters and one turboprop still on display at Controller.com. Deccan Shuttles will operate with two turboprops on lease.

Gopinath said he will also focus on Powerfly, a partnership with the Tatas, which allows "fractional ownership" of private jets and choppers. Under this business arrangement, modelled on the lines of NetJets, an offshoot of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, customers who buy a "share" of a plane are guaranteed flying hours, often up to 400 hours annually or a few days.

Gopinath said Deccan Technical Services, a unit of Deccan Charters, which maintains the choppers of companies such as Reliance IndustriesBSE 0.76 % and Essar Group, is still a lucrative business. "We cater to 50 corporates in India." There are unconfirmed reports that Gopinath, whose five-year non-compete clause with Mallya ends on January 28, 2013, could partner a foreign airline after the government allowed purchase of 49% in Indian carriers.

GR Gopinath's Deccan Charters faces severe crisis; puts entire fleet of aircraft on sale - Page2 - The Economic Times (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/gr-gopinaths-deccan-charters-faces-severe-crisis-puts-entire-fleet-of-aircraft-on-sale/articleshow/17620998.cms?curpg=2)

Wannabe Flyer
15th Dec 2012, 05:53
Finally!!

this man really trashed the industry and did get away scott free. His "Common man" to fly theory has really percolated into all walks of life here and driven people nuts.

It is time that people realize that one needs to pay for a service and nothing can be done at the "low" costs that are being advertised without compromise.

Hopefully he will consider a different career prospect from here on. After all 3 times!!!!

On a separate note as per Aviation ministry Indigo showed a loss for the prior year and the 3 years preceding that seem to be profits not from operations but from other activities. This should be interesting now

Sky Dancer
19th Dec 2012, 08:01
Everyone on this forum knows my opinion of Baldy, Loud Mouth Gopinath.He is clueless about the business but projects himself as an expert.Look at his track record , Air Deccan , Deccan 360 and now Deccan Charters shutting shop.Why would anyone want to partner him makes me wonder.But then I hear Tony Fernandes that is interested in him.They will make Indian fly for 1 ruppee but will soon shut shop taking Gopi's tally to 4.Wonder when will the people of India learn ?:eek::ok:

Capt Apache
19th Dec 2012, 13:40
Learn What ? Not to travel when its offered for 1 Re.:rolleyes:

blackbirdsr72
19th Dec 2012, 17:40
Cant understand what's this man gonna do.... Another venture after Deccan charters, Air Deccan, Deccan 360, Deccan shuttle ....?? May
god bless him........:ugh::ugh:

Gopinath set to float new airline next year - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Gopinath-set-to-float-new-airline-next-year/articleshow/17659124.cms)

Captain G R Gopinath, who launched Air Deccan, India’s first Low-Cost Carrier (LCC) is all set to make a comeback with a new airline. It is learnt that three foreign LCCs have approached him to take up to 49 per cent stake in the proposed new venture, for which he has already applied to the Ministry of Civil Aviation to get a licence. The non-compete agreement Gopinath signed while selling Deccan to Vijay Mallya's Kingfisher Airlines in 2007 ends on January 28, 2013. Gopinath yesterday said that he will finalise the partner in two to three months and hopes to launch the airline by mid-2013, as per a TOI report.

“I decided to start an airline as I can't afford the airfares now. Some airlines have grown but they have done so by taking passengers of other players. The domestic air market is falling rapidly and this is unimaginable in a country like India. A new LCC that offers low fares with low costs is the only way to make flying affordable again and grow the market. I will do that,” said Gopinath, adding that he is regularly approached by the general public to start a new airline as low fare flying in India has become history now.

Gopinath, promises not to repeat the mistakes of Air Deccan, while taking forward its successful points in the new venture. This time commercial viability is on his mind as much as offering low fares. "When I launched Air Deccan in 2003, everything was a challenge and was being done for the first time. I have learnt a lot from that experience and decided on many things differently from the past,” Gopinath said.

Air Deccan had a very large network. Because of that, poor on-time performance and substantial flight cancellations started affecting its image from 2005-06 onwards. “I got stretched too thin then. The Deccan aircraft would be parked in different cities and any one developing a snag would take long. This time, we will have a hub for our aircraft for better engineering and servicing,” he informed.

Capt Apache
20th Dec 2012, 04:04
Look at it another way.He is got an undying spirit.He just won't give up.Wow!

As a young man, Abraham Lincoln went to war a captain and returned a private. Later, he failed as a businessman. As a lawyer in Springfield, he was too impractical and temperamental to find success.
He turned to politics and was defeated in his first try for the legislature, again defeated in his first attempt to be nominated for congress, defeated in his application to be commissioner of the General Land Office, defeated in the senatorial election of 1854, defeated in his efforts for the vice-presidency in 1856, and defeated in the senatorial election of 1858.
He later became the 16th President of the United States of America.

Inspiring "Never Give Up" Stories (http://www.brucemuzik.com/blog/inspiring-stories-never-give-up/)

Henry Ford failed and went broke five times before he finally succeeded.Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor for lack of ideas. Disney also went bankrupt several times before he built Disneyland.

I salute you Mr Gopinath.You are on your way to greatness.:cool::cool:

ZFT
20th Dec 2012, 04:49
As a supplier to 2 of his ventures, I too have learned a lot and I too promise not to repeat the mistakes!!!!

I won't (and can't afford to) touch his (future) business with a bargepole and I'd bet I'm not the only one with a long memory.

blackbirdsr72
20th Dec 2012, 07:50
Capt Apache

I agree with you on capt Gopi's undying spirit... Infact he has inspired many with "simply fly" also...

But the reality is you ask anybody who has associated with him on his ventures directly.. its the way opposite. Investors,Banks,Suppliers,agents no one will work/support him again.... His ego is too much to handle.